How did Jimmy do

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did GMJB do on day 1 of FA

A
19%
B+
38%
B
38%
C
No votes
D
4%
Fail
No votes

Total votes: 26

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

How did Jimmy do

Post by 2Fingers »

Day 1 is over, what is your grade for JB?

Has he done enough to keep his job?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: How did Jimmy do

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The teams greatest weakness was on defense and this evening theyre far deeper than they were.

The only thing better would've been a higher level centerpiece signing but there wasnt one. He snagged the top righty dman.

I doob thee...

A solid B
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He did alright I think. We all were bracing for the Myers deal. 5x6 is a fair UFA contract for the guy. I don’t think he will end up an Ericksson type problem for us. Benn is a good get for a good term and cap. He will bring more versatility and toughness than Hutton. He’s a pretty decent defender too. Excellent term and cap. Benning also managed the trade protection for both. Fantenberg is simply depth.

Day one he made our defence better, on paper.

Now he needs to clean up, as much as he can, the forward group.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jimbro laid to rest, once again, his biggest critics (Blobbee etc) with another class showing at UFA season, this, in his mission to resserect a once storied franchise that once was prior to the Players Agent fucking things up royally
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jimmy killed it, even the bashers should be able to see that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The Myers contract is solid, and the blueline is better with Myers than without Myers. Benn is a good pick-up at that price and can work the lower pairings. Pending development from Juolevi and perhaps another depth signing, Vancouver's defence looks better than it did.

If only Benning could have snagged a good fix for a top-6 winger - that would get him an "A".
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Lancer wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:19 am The Myers contract is solid, and the blueline is better with Myers than without Myers. Benn is a good pick-up at that price and can work the lower pairings. Pending development from Juolevi and perhaps another depth signing, Vancouver's defence looks better than it did.

If only Benning could have snagged a good fix for a top-6 winger - that would get him an "A".
I think Luongo cost Benning a good shot at signing Nyquist as a top-6 winger. Hopefully another option comes up over the summer, but it is hard to see what they can get without weakening another position. They probably have to sign Boeser first to see how much cap space is available, so their search may go into the fall, or maybe they are stuck with what they have? This could be be a last minute reprieve for one of Eriksson or Goldobin. :hmmm:
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....

Myers is overpaid, but not drastically. He will be playing a top-4 role here so $6M isn't bad, in fact it's quite good for a July 1 signing. The crappy part is that Myers is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team, here he's currently our #3.

If Benning can find a way to get out from under Eriksson's contract without selling too much else he will get an A+ for this off-season. Eriksson all but tanked his own value this spring with his comments, Benning should talk to a cap floor team and offer them Loui and a 2021 3rd for a 7th.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 pm Jimbro laid to rest, once again, his biggest critics (Blobbee etc) with another class showing at UFA season, this, in his mission to resserect a once storied franchise that once was prior to the Players Agent fucking things up royally
Once again. You mean once. This is the first time he hasn’t shit the bed since 2015 during UFA season.

A solid C+
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Gave him a B+. He didn't bend over for Myers, but I don't think we'll enjoy that contract in a couple years. The Benn deal is solid. Apparently Bergevin offered him the same deal in April; Benn wanted to come home. An upgrade over Hutton. The goalies should be happy.

No Eriksson-level stupidity here, which is a win, I think.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 am Gave him a B+. He didn't bend over for Myers, but I don't think we'll enjoy that contract in a couple years.
Lol, there’s no such thing as an enjoyable contract given to UFA’s in there late 20’s. This is league wide, always has been, always will be. That being said, Myers who is 29 now will be 34 when the contract ends. Edler just signed a $6 million per year contract for 2 years, he’s 33, 4 years older than Myers. Nobody is complaining about that contract.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 am Gave him a B+. He didn't bend over for Myers, but I don't think we'll enjoy that contract in a couple years.
Lol, there’s no such thing as an enjoyable contract given to UFA’s in there late 20’s. This is league wide, always has been, always will be. That being said, Myers who is 29 now will be 34 when the contract ends. Edler just signed a $6 million per year contract for 2 years, he’s 33, 4 years older than Myers. Nobody is complaining about that contract.
Nobody should complain about Edler’s contract. I could give two shits about either player’s age. Apples and oranges- Edler is a much better player.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....
There are a few here who think Benn is a special player cause of his last name. Jordie Benn should be doing back flips on his way to the bank making $2 Million per year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:12 am
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 am
Edler is a much better player.
Still in the sandbox I see
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am I was actually worried Benn was going to get $3M per. $2M isn't bad, although I'm not sure how $2M for Benn is much better than $700K for Schenn.....
There are a few here who think Benn is a special player cause of his last name. Jordie Benn should be doing back flips on his way to the bank making $2 Million per year.
Fake news. People wanted a cheap decent option to stabilize the bottom pairing. Hutton was up and down like a whores pants in his time here, though I think it may have went better for him if he didn’t have to lug around Erik Gudbranson. Paying Benn 2 million is smarter than paying Hutton 4 +.