Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Richardstroker69 »

A poster on reddit swears up and down ferland is coming here on a 4x4 contract, space just needs to be cleared. Says he has a source (sounded like it’s player or agent related not canuck front office related), take it for what it’s worth, but at 4x4 I’d love ferland.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm A poster on reddit swears up and down ferland is coming here on a 4x4 contract, space just needs to be cleared. Says he has a source (sounded like it’s player or agent related not canuck front office related), take it for what it’s worth, but at 4x4 I’d love ferland.
I wonder if his source sprung for more than his share of shots at the edge of the world too
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

rikster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 am
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:49 am Full NMC for Myers next year, then full NTC for 2 years and MNTC for the last 2. About what was expected.
Hi DieHard...

As someone who isn't a fan of UFA day, gotta admit that for the most part the dollars handed out so far around the league have been reasonable when you consider that the back half of most of those contracts will be paid from the new TV deal and at least 1 expansion fee....

Most will be similar to the Myers deal where they are heavily front end loaded and lock out protected and will give more reason to have the buyout provisions changed in the next CBA....

As I said before, it benefits both the NHL and the NHLPA so can't see why anyone would oppose eliminating the buyout from cap calculations with certain conditions...

And the Timo Meier RFA signing seems like a good deal and good news for the Canucks regarding the Boeser situation....

Take care...
Hi Rikster,

I agree, the deals today were for fewer dollars than most expected, aside from the Bobrovsky and perhaps the Panarin deals that is. There was the Brandon Tanev deal that seems insane as well, but in general they were relatively reasonable.

I do think there will be some changes to a few things in the next CBA - escrow, buyouts and signing bonuses will be the major items for the league and NHLPA to fight over. I’d be fine with some sort of release valve for teams with 1 buyout a year permitted but I’m not sure Bettman would. It would be smart of the league to give something relatively minor like this as a bone players but he’s never been the most logical negotiator.

As for Meier, he had a great season and playoffs last year and got $6 million for 4 years. Ideally Boeser’s deal is 5-6 years, but if not then I would take a $6 million AAV as they have very comparable counting stats so should be around the same dollar value.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:01 pm A poster on reddit swears up and down ferland is coming here on a 4x4 contract, space just needs to be cleared. Says he has a source (sounded like it’s player or agent related not canuck front office related), take it for what it’s worth, but at 4x4 I’d love ferland.
The team can go 10% over the cap in the summer so if true this likely would have already been signed. True it may hurt Jimbo’s leverage in getting rid of salary if another team knows he has no choice, but I’m not sure that would matter to him too much.

I doubt it’s true but you never know these days.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 am https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/1 ... fantenberg

Fantenberg acquired by Calgary at the TDD. Now a Canuck. Another Swede, lefty, one year deal, no terms yet.

Pouliot gone, Hutton gone, Schenn gone, cap crunch. Fantenberg it is.
I don't get how Schenn had to go due to cap constraints. I'm not saying that's what you are insinuating here, but to me the guy was great in a bottom pairing role for the last 20 games, and how do we not bring him back at $700K?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm
The team can go 10% over the cap in the summer so if true this likely would have already been signed. True it may hurt Jimbo’s leverage in getting rid of salary if another team knows he has no choice, but I’m not sure that would matter to him too much.

Yeah definitely take it with a grain of salt, but found it interesting no other team snapped him up today, something to keep an eye on though.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:36 am https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/1 ... fantenberg

Fantenberg acquired by Calgary at the TDD. Now a Canuck. Another Swede, lefty, one year deal, no terms yet.

Pouliot gone, Hutton gone, Schenn gone, cap crunch. Fantenberg it is.
I don't get how Schenn had to go due to cap constraints. I'm not saying that's what you are insinuating here, but to me the guy was great in a bottom pairing role for the last 20 games, and how do we not bring him back at $700K?
I think they would have brought him back for 700k, I think schenn is chasing a cup.
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeah definitely take it with a grain of salt, but found it interesting no other team snapped him up today, something to keep an eye on though.
I actually think 4 X 4 is too much for Ferkland but not awful. We need his element on line 3 or maybe even 2. He can move around the lineup too.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Makes me think he yas a deal in place somewhere already just waiting on a team to make room.

Buddy the source could be bang on
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Makes me think he yas a deal in place somewhere already just waiting on a team to make room.

I’d be fine with it if true, but it’s extremely hard to believe. You want to sign him you do it and then figure out the money later. Brock can’t get an offer sheet and there’s nobody else to worry about losing so there’s no major downside to sign Ferland now. The money is there, just means that a couple of Loui/Schaller/Gaudette would start in Utica or waiver to another team, and likely one or two of Goldy, Leivo or Motte wouldn’t be signed.

Personally I’d rather go after Gusev from Vegas if the ask isn’t too crazy, as he could be a very good scoring wing right away. Ferland would be ok too but I prefer skilled players and this team doesn’t have enough of them yet.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 pm I don't get how Schenn had to go due to cap constraints. I'm not saying that's what you are insinuating here, but to me the guy was great in a bottom pairing role for the last 20 games, and how do we not bring him back at $700K?
I liked Schenn too and would have liked to seen him comeback. I think it just came down to numbers in our roster space. We already have a right shot D in BullDawg Biega under contract, who's a good 6th-8th D-man. It was just easier to keep the guy we already have.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Yup. Way crazy he wasn't scooped today. In fact, impossible. Probably talking to us but not necessarily only us.
Toughens up the line-up yet has some point production too. Really good at finding guys in the open but can let it rip too.
Really a pretty good sniper in his own rights. Decent attendance. 4/4 doesn't scare me at all.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=119077
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:57 pm
Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 pm I don't get how Schenn had to go due to cap constraints. I'm not saying that's what you are insinuating here, but to me the guy was great in a bottom pairing role for the last 20 games, and how do we not bring him back at $700K?
I liked Schenn too and would have liked to seen him comeback. I think it just came down to numbers in our roster space. We already have a right shot D in BullDawg Biega under contract, who's a good 6th-8th D-man. It was just easier to keep the guy we already have.
Schenn >> Biega.

Send Biega to Utica.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am
Zucarello to Minnesota is stupid. Unless they keep Zucker. Then at least it would be fun for announcers.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the Norwegian wizard midget is a fantastic player, and tends to become a fan favourite on the teams he plays for, but he is 32 years old. I could see giving him a two or perhaps even three year contract, but five years with that price tag?

Mmmmmmmmm.... no. Way too long term.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:46 pm Goal tender Robin Lehner signs with Chicago.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1793441
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:19 pm
Arthur Staple

@StapeAthletic

#Isles announce a four-year deal for Semyon Varlamov
2:51 PM - 1 Jul 2019
Completely bizarre.

Lehner, who won Jennings and Masterton this year and was nominated for Vezina, wanted to stay with the Islanders, and was willing to discuss term and amount, but then found out they had already decided to sign Varlamov, so agreed to a one year deal with Chicago instead.

So, you have a goalie who has definitely had some warts (bipolar and substance abuse issues), but is now on the wagon and taking his Mëds and as a result has had his best season ever, winning two individual awards and being nominated for a third, and you decide "nah, I like the Avalanche's goal tending better..." :crazy:

There is no question in my mind that Lehner is the better goalie of the two, and he would almost certainly have agreed to whatever they gave Varlamov. He knows he arrived in the organisation as damaged goods. They took a chance on him, helped him with rehab et al, he now plays the best hockey he ever has, he was grateful and wanted to stay. I'm sure he'd agreed to a reasonable offer. Really blows my mind.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.