Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:46 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am If they stay relatively healthy, this team will be in the playoff hunt. To say they can’t make the playoffs at this point is just being an ass.
Great post!!

At times they were in the hunt last season, if it were not for untimely injuries. Great first season without the Twins.

Miller, Myers, Benn, Petterson, Hughes and Markstroms much improved play will put us in the mix for sure
I know it sounds mean but make a concerted effort to trade Tanev when things calm down and teams really evaluate what their
remaining needs are before the commencement of the 19/20 season.
I know the feelings for Stecher are very mixed, depending where you read, but the roller coaster ride that Tanev has put this team on
is notable. Take a second or even a third and gain the cap space if there's any way. Just my 2 cents on the right side.
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:54 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:46 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am If they stay relatively healthy, this team will be in the playoff hunt. To say they can’t make the playoffs at this point is just being an ass.
Great post!!

At times they were in the hunt last season, if it were not for untimely injuries. Great first season without the Twins.

Miller, Myers, Benn, Petterson, Hughes and Markstroms much improved play will put us in the mix for sure
I know it sounds mean but make a concerted effort to trade Tanev when things calm down and teams really evaluate what their
remaining needs are before the commencement of the 19/20 season.
I know the feelings for Stecher are very mixed, depending where you read, but the roller coaster ride that Tanev has put this team on
is notable. Take a second or even a third and gain the cap space if there's any way. Just my 2 cents on the right side.
Nothing mean about it...

Team should have 1 or 2 players next to none that are untouchable so it all boils down to what they get for him....

I think Tanev should be dealt as soon as an acceptable offer is received and should be all about picks coming back...

Take care...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I agree, Tanev has value. What exactly who knows but there are teams, and we always see this by mid July, that miss out in FA that feel left out and make moves. In a week or so the cap picture will be clearer to a lot of teams and Tanev will have value.

I love the guy, really. But we should be getting Tryamkin back next season, Juolevi will be on the team, or gone, Woo will be closer to being ready and AHL eligible and we have Rafferty who turned a few heads in his very short stint with the Canucks. I think the best time to trade Tanev is long before he is injured.
The only HW the Canucks need
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Who thought Brandon Tanev was about to get a $21 million deal? I want his agent.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Aho just got an offer sheet. Details to come/1st one today. came from Monreal, Carolina will match, I think.
waiting on the number but it's big.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am Aho just got an offer sheet. Details to come/1st one today.
It should say Aho just signed an offer sheet. The player has to want it and not care what the team thinks that much to go there
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yes, Aho signed the offer sheet. 5 years at $42.27 Million. AAV of $8.454 Million.

That's actually pretty good for Carolina. Can't see them not matching.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am Aho just got an offer sheet. Details to come/1st one today. came from Monreal, Carolina will match, I think.
waiting on the number but it's big.
Around $8.5M per. Carolina would get a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd I’d they decline. Lots of signing bonus money that Carolina may find tough to swallow.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Today @ 3:10 PM ET
TSN is reporting that it could be a hard offer to match. The biggest problem is the bonus structure (11.3 year one and 10.5? in year two) so 21 million upfront over the next 12 months. Apparently, Carolina gate revenue is only 21-22 million per year so it’s a lot of money upfront for that team. Should be interesting.
The only HW the Canucks need
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am Aho just got an offer sheet. Details to come/1st one today.
It should say Aho just signed an offer sheet. The player has to want it and not care what the team thinks that much to go there
Who among us would give up $1 million to make sure the team's feelings aren't hurt? And here, we are usually talking many millions. The rational reasons to turn down an offer sheet are (1) I don't want to play there and (2) I don't like the terms. A concern about (1) or (2) considers a player's long-term interest. Maybe there is a (3), which is this team is a cup contender and if I take that we will have to shed another piece that can get us there.

The kinds of players receiving offer sheets are too valuable to be blacklisted or harassed. Owners hate one another for offer sheets -- they negotiated a CBA that gives them the power to extort monopoly rents in the form of below market RFA salaries, how dare another owner upset the apple cart!
Hono_rary Canadian
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:16 pm Today @ 3:10 PM ET
TSN is reporting that it could be a hard offer to match. The biggest problem is the bonus structure (11.3 year one and 10.5? in year two) so 21 million upfront over the next 12 months. Apparently, Carolina gate revenue is only 21-22 million per year so it’s a lot of money upfront for that team. Should be interesting.
That's a brilliant move! (Carolina should still match).
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aho is a heckuva player. It’s pretty clear now it was him carrying the slugs Juolevi and PullyourRV and to a lesser extent Laine in the WJC.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sportsnet 650

@Sportsnet650

Benn confirms he had the same 2x2 offer from MTL: It was a really good deal for both sides. But I had chats with my agent & I wanted to see what was out there. When I heard the Canucks wanted to see if they could get a deal get done I couldn't pass up getting to go home #Canucks

11:42 AM - 1 Jul 2019
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"