Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Free agent FRENZY thread. July 1, 2019

Post by UWSaint »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 am Zuccrello went to Minny TSN screwed it up earlier.

Nyquist $5.5 with Ducks, good thing cap space does not mean anything in a rebuild.

#itsallgillisfault (sorry habit for this now)
TSN might be screwing up Nyquist to the Ducks as well.

Zucarello to Minnesota is stupid. Unless they keep Zucker. Then at least it would be fun for announcers.
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:02 am Damn, there goes Nyquist to CBJ.
IMO, the last need for the Canucks this off season is a second line RWer.
That quest isn’t over yet
Baer, Gaudette, Jake or Hoglander? Rather have a proven RWer without concussion issues, but one of these players could surprise. Please no more Eriksson or Goldobin experiments in the top six.
Left wing is a bit packed considering Miller plays left wing when not playing centre. Right wing is razor thin, until Podkozlin arrives. Maybe Sutter back on RW is the move again:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Baertschi Gaudette Sutter
Roussel Beagle Leivo
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:14 am

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo
Need to move Miller to 2nd line to make 2 competitive lines.

Baertschi will be injured by Nov 1st
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Baer, Gaudette, Jake or Hoglander? Rather have a proven RWer without concussion issues, but one of these players could surprise. Please no more Eriksson or Goldobin experiments in the top six.
I mostly agree that Canucks should not be using UFA to round out the top 6.

But these (Eriksson/Goldobin) are not alike at all. One is a former solid top 6 (and sometimes first liner) who hasn't been able to produce here for 3 years and has exposed his underbelly to the fork. The other is 23 years old and just completed his first full season in the NHL.

Goldobin belongs with the other group of players who have a chance to earn or take the spot breaking camp.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Like you said, CP, too bad about Nyquist, (Benning wanted him). One Eriksson short of a load; Damn.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:14 am
Left wing is a bit packed considering Miller plays left wing when not playing centre. Right wing is razor thin, until Podkozlin arrives. Maybe Sutter back on RW is the move again:

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo
Yup, could also add Motte to the 4th line wing depth until Roussel is off IR. If they can add a top six RWer before September, without subtracting anyone, it’d be ideal as it would drop Jake and Sutter down a line and have Motte or Leivo as a 13th forward. The team would then have the depth to withstand a couple of injuries that always happens.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hi. Was watching TSN - (toronto sports network) a moment ago. Only one of their commentators had anything positive to say about today's signings for the Canucks. Ferraro went on with hisfamiliar complaint about Vancouver not being a playoff team and Benning trying to do too much. I may not agree with everything Benning has done, but hey, what the hell is so wrong about trying to acquire the roster for making the playoffs? I mean WTF, is it supposed to be ok to just shoot for a 5-10 point impovement for the long suffering fans? I appreciate what Ferraro brings to the table, but atthispoint in the rebuild process, i say, 'fuck off Ferraro, it's time to bang the frikin playoff door down - save yourTSN commentary for elsewhere.'
cc oldtimer
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

UWSaint wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:09 am
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:06 am Zuccrello went to Minny TSN screwed it up earlier.

Nyquist $5.5 with Ducks, good thing cap space does not mean anything in a rebuild.

#itsallgillisfault (sorry habit for this now)
TSN might be screwing up Nyquist to the Ducks as well.

Zucarello to Minnesota is stupid. Unless they keep Zucker. Then at least it would be fun for announcers.
Nyquist is now at Columbus
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

nuckster wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:25 am Hi. Was watching TSN - (toronto sports network) a moment ago. Only one of their commentators had anything positive to say about today's signings for the Canucks. Ferraro went on with hisfamiliar complaint about Vancouver not being a playoff team and Benning trying to do too much. I may not agree with everything Benning has done, but hey, what the hell is so wrong about trying to acquire the roster for making the playoffs? I mean WTF, is it supposed to be ok to just shoot for a 5-10 point impovement for the long suffering fans? I appreciate what Ferraro brings to the table, but atthispoint in the rebuild process, i say, 'fuck off Ferraro, it's time to bang the frikin playoff door down - save yourTSN commentary for elsewhere.'
Ferraro has gone full retard. Tune him out and tune in Jamie McLennen. Night and day
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they stay relatively healthy, this team will be in the playoff hunt. To say they can’t make the playoffs at this point is just being an ass.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Presser, high-noon today with Benning AND Tyler Myers...

quick flight in for Tyler, mmm? :lol:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ferraro is excellent. I’m not tuning into the TV panels, just looking at my phone.

Thing is Ferraro should realize it’s playoffs or bust for Elmer. And honestly his signings today aren’t so bad.

I think Jimbo Slice blinked on the Miller trade big time, but again he’s trying to save his own skin and get a new deal. He isn’t a poker player. Doesn’t have a clue when to walk away.

Still lacking another RW option up front and a true # 1 d man. Credit where credit is due. Elmer has improved the team a bit, though I’m not sure to what margin and I still think the lack of a 1st in one of the next two years could bite them, they look a bit better on paper. Playoffs? Not sure about that but 30 ROR wins should be attainable.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am If they stay relatively healthy, this team will be in the playoff hunt. To say they can’t make the playoffs at this point is just being an ass.
Yup. They were what, 4 points out with about a month left last season?

They basically cratered when Beagle was out, when both Tanev and Edler were out and when Tanev was out immediately after he came back.

The young core is another year older and experienced. There is more and better veteran depth. They can contend for a wildcard at the very least.

Once again, it will be the injuries (or lack thereof hopefully).
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 am If they stay relatively healthy, this team will be in the playoff hunt. To say they can’t make the playoffs at this point is just being an ass.
Great post!!

At times they were in the hunt last season, if it were not for untimely injuries. Great first season without the Twins.

Miller, Myers, Benn, Petterson, Hughes and Markstroms much improved play will put us in the mix for sure
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 am Ferraro is excellent.
Lol, yeah/no

He used to be OK until Botch, Patterson, Sekeres, Price, Halford and Brough’s bitch fest got to him