Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 pm
About all I can say is, nobody picked the Blues to win, they snuck into the playoffs and won it all. Now we can all go back and say look at all these brilliant moves they did, but they were inches from those brilliant moves being stupid moves requiring a total tear-down. Probably sole responsibility for avoiding that fate goes to Binnington.
Agreed...

All one has to do is spend some time looking over any franchises history and you find many warts along the way...

What I am interested is seeing what the likes of the Penguins and some other teams in similar situations do this year and going forward...

In many ways they are similar to the Canucks post the 2011 Cup Finals team, some future hall of famers who are into the back 9 of their careers and who still have term and high $$'s on their contracts and a team payroll that leaves them with little wiggle room under the cap....

Will they re tool or begin the rebuild...

We know that in Vancouver they waited until after the Sedins retired to fully embrace the rebuild, in the case of the Penguins the Crosby contract doesn't expire for another 3 years and Malkin has another 6 years to go...

Do/should they go full rebuild or wait till Crosby and Malkin's contracts are up?

Take care...
You've got it backwards. Sid is signed for another 6. Malkin is done in 3.

I believe I read somewhere that Pittsburgh will not officially rebuild so long as Sid is still with the team.

If they are smart they try one more year with this group, and if they are a bubble team, or if they get bounced quickly again, then they pull the trigger and start a re-tool. Unlike Vancouver they have a huge trade chip that they can spend without killing their front end. Malkin can be traded at the draft for something really really good (if he's willing to waive). They then can muddle through the 2020-21 season, cruise through expansion waters, and come out the other side, on the upswing. If they wait much longer than that then they will be in Canucks territory where they spent too much of the future on the existing team and the road to rebuild is much longer (barring some serious lottery luck).
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:00 pm
Myers - 9 goals 22 assists - 2018-19
Big Flipping Deal. Ya, that's worth 7.5 for 7 years. Maybe we get lucky and it's only 6 years. What's with your love affair for a second pairing
defense man?

Damn good thing Bo Horvat took a team friendly contract mm? Maybe he can use his leadership skills and convince Brock, Petey and Quinn
to do the same.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Some may not particularly like Patrick Johnson" writings in the Province news paper but this is "basically" reality and should be read.
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... et-to-open

I don't think this is fear mongering. A little melodramatic maybe but surely enough realism to take pause.

I will not feel comfortable until Boeser is signed. He is a crowning achievement of drafting by Benning at 23rd OA!
Wouldn't want to risk this type of work to the crazy FA market. A market not overly kind to the Canucks.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

They need to move out eriksson and sutter. No way around it unless they dont go after a ufa
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 am They need to move out eriksson and sutter. No way around it unless they dont go after a ufa
Even if they don't snag a UFA there's still no room. Gaudette needs Sutters spot and I'm sure someone will outshine Eriksson at camp.
I hope they send him to Utica
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

You've got it backwards. Sid is signed for another 6. Malkin is done in 3.

I believe I read somewhere that Pittsburgh will not officially rebuild so long as Sid is still with the team.

If they are smart they try one more year with this group, and if they are a bubble team, or if they get bounced quickly again, then they pull the trigger and start a re-tool. Unlike Vancouver they have a huge trade chip that they can spend without killing their front end. Malkin can be traded at the draft for something really really good (if he's willing to waive). They then can muddle through the 2020-21 season, cruise through expansion waters, and come out the other side, on the upswing. If they wait much longer than that then they will be in Canucks territory where they spent too much of the future on the existing team and the road to rebuild is much longer (barring some serious lottery luck).
That makes it even more interesting with Crosby signed for 6 years...

I don't agree that they are very strong up front even with Malkin in the lineup and their blue line outside of Letang is weak and Letang is like Edler and Tanev in that he can't stay healthy...

Just curious to see how they navigate the next year or so...

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don’t think the trades start happening until crazy money season has ran it’s course. The Canucks may not have the room to sign Myers, they need to take care of their own backyard first - Boeser. But Benning needs to get rid of Sutter ($4.35 mil.), Spooner ($4 mil.) and Eriksson ($6 mil). Spooner only has 1 year left so I gather we are living with him for the year. Sutter has 2 years left, hopefully he has a healthy year and can trade him at the deadline or prior for prospects. Loui? Fucking Loui. Not much you can do there, but yeah it doesn’t look like we are in position to reel in a big fish come Monday.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dangler wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:03 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:30 am They need to move out eriksson and sutter. No way around it unless they dont go after a ufa
Even if they don't snag a UFA there's still no room. Gaudette needs Sutters spot and I'm sure someone will outshine Eriksson at camp.
I hope they send him to Utica
Replacing Sutter with Gaudette seems logical and a sound way of lowering the overall total $’s. But, Benning and Green love Sutter.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don’t think the optics of throwing big money at Myers while hardballing the Boeser camp will sit well with the Boeser camp. Take care of your own Backyard first Jim. Logically, you’d sign Boeser first and see how much UFA play money you have left.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:53 am I don’t think the optics of throwing big money at Myers while hardballing the Boeser camp will sit well with the Boeser camp. Take care of your own Backyard first Jim. Logically, you’d sign Boeser first and see how much UFA play money you have left.
Wise thoughts! I'm thinking, well, hoping, there is a plan to lessen the burden of the LE contract that doesn't include a trade for Milan
which is actually worse, though the ticket holders and regular Joes whom have no idea of the money workings of a cap, may say,
"ya, do that! I want blood and fighting and hitting" ya-da ya-da.
He moved his clan to Texas for some reason. Unequivocally, meaning is there, somewhere. Ya, there's a plan.

If Brandon will agree, Iffy, I actually think a market for him with some team will open up. Unfortunately, probably not till
August or closer to training camp. He is a center and a need could easily arise.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC
Follow Follow @FriedgeHNIC

Unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout: Spooner (VAN)...hard year for him, undoubtedly working hard towards a fresh start
9:02 AM - 29 Jun 2019
Takin care of business and workin overtime...........................
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am
Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC

Unconditional waivers for purpose of buyout: Spooner (VAN)...hard year for him, undoubtedly working hard towards a fresh start
Good, this was expected. Too bad contracts like Sutter and Loui are bad enough that they have little to no value around the league. It’s amazing to me that a team that’s been this bad, with most of their young stars on cheap deals, can be this close to the cap.

Of course the irony here is Jimbo's buying out Spooner so he can likely sign a couple of contracts that will be just as bad in a couple of years. This management team is horrible at managing contracts so don’t expect that will change.

Hopefully the team will at least be better next year - if it’s Myers and Nyqvist signed on July 1 they should be better, just not sure they are even a playoff team yet.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:20 am
Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC

Freeing up space for Myers :?:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

How does it impact the cap with his buyout?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:39 am How does it impact the cap with his buyout?
A shade over a million on the books for the next 2 seasons.

Good riddance