Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Puck wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 am If he's barely any better than Hutton, why aren't they just keeping Hutton who is no more than $4.4 million/year?
Because they don’t know how to manage a cap yet. We hope one day they learn.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 am
Puck wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:03 am If he's barely any better than Hutton, why aren't they just keeping Hutton who is no more than $4.4 million/year?
We also can't forget that both Petey and Hughes are on ELCs, meaning they have lots of bonuses built in. If they achieve them they go against the cap after the fact, so ideally you want to keep room for that. I think Petey was around $2 million in bonuses last year so if that happens again plus Hughes is similar, that's $4 million in dead money you need to keep.

It's not a must do, but if you go over it gets added on to next year's cap number so restricts what you can do then.

Jimbo really needs to get rid of a few players and be disciplined with his signings, there's not as much cap room as people seem to think.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Myers is a lot better than Hutton...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am We also can't forget that both Petey and Hughes are on ELCs, meaning they have lots of bonuses built in. If they achieve them they go against the cap after the fact, so ideally you want to keep room for that. I think Petey was around $2 million in bonuses last year so if that happens again plus Hughes is similar, that's $4 million in dead money you need to keep.

It's not a must do, but if you go over it gets added on to next year's cap number so restricts what you can do then.

Jimbo really needs to get rid of a few players and be disciplined with his signings, there's not as much cap room as people seem to think.
I think Petey's max bonuses are $2.85M per... and Hughes' are $850K.

I don't see Eriksson, Spooner, or Schaller on the opening might roster

... so we can deduct at least some of each salary right?

I think there's plenty of room for Jimmy to do things... wonderful things. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 am
We also can't forget that both Petey and Hughes are on ELCs, meaning they have lots of bonuses built in. If they achieve them they go against the cap after the fact, so ideally you want to keep room for that. I think Petey was around $2 million in bonuses last year so if that happens again plus Hughes is similar, that's $4 million in dead money you need to keep.

Agree Die Hard...

For me, this is when we find out how solid a GM Benning is or isn't....

He's been very solid in his drafting

And as much as some like to criticise his player signings or trade history, when looked at on balance and in the proper perspective and as compared to other GM's, his track record has been acceptable...

But going forward as the team transitions to being a competitive team with a multiple core group of young players and now with the Luongo situation, the ability to manage the cap will be tested...

And speaking of Luongo, it's ironic that Benning is sometimes chastised for not being creative enough which is a fair criticism while Gillis and Gillman were applauded for being overly creative which has come back to bite the team ....

I wonder if the team has the option to pay the entire cap recapture penalty in the first year or if they have to pay it off over the 3 years?...

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Why not let them flex it over nine years? After all that’s the amount of years the team allegedly benefited from allegedly circumventing the cap.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Shea Weber’s cap recapture penalty is crazy if he packs it in early. Blows Luongo’s out of the water.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 pm Shea Weber’s cap recapture penalty is crazy if he packs it in early. Blows Luongo’s out of the water.
Holy shit;https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/07 ... ement.html
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 pm Shea Weber’s cap recapture penalty is crazy if he packs it in early. Blows Luongo’s out of the water.
Holy shit;https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2018/07 ... ement.html
The Preds and Habs probably won’t pay anything.

Bettman will probably just send the cap recapture to the Canucks.

The real assholes in all of this are the Flyers. They drew up the offer and contract.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm Look what it cost the Leaves to get rid of Marleau who had one year left and is a better player.
Yeahno, Marleau is completely done.

Loui is a still a decent 3rd-liner/PK-guy on some teams.

Also any team that traded for Marleau had to buy him out.

Also, Dubas.
https://twitter.com/LukeDeCock/status/1 ... 9117969409
Luke DeCock
@LukeDeCock

Hurricanes will buy out Marleau, Don Waddell said. Owe him his $3 million signing bonus now and $833,333 split over the next two years.

9:36 AM - 27 Jun 2019
Well we knew that was coming...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

No shit we knew. What a great trade for the Hurricanes
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

A team that trades for Loui won't be buying him out though...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:45 pm A team that trades for Loui won't be buying him out though...
Fair enough but it would be nice for Frank to purchase a draft pick like that.

Loui is still going to need something attached to him to move that contract though with three years left. Teams can turn around quickly these days and having an albatross like that whether you’re cash strapped or not, is not a good thing.

I was obviously being sarcastic when I said he’d need three 1sts attached to him to move him. He’s just such a lazy prick and he frustrates the hell out of me.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:45 pm A team that trades for Loui won't be buying him out though...

Loui is still going to need something attached to him to move that contract though with three years left. Teams can turn around quickly these days and having an albatross like that whether you’re cash strapped or not, is not a good thing.
Too late Blob, Nucks are signing a FA or 2 on July 1st, add a trinket to LE and move him and then move Tanev for a pick. Send a couple guys down to the farm and presto we have a playoff bound team.

This is what we hope at least.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 pm
No doubt, $3.833M seems cheap for a 1st round pick.

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 pm Loui is still going to need something attached to him to move that contract though with three years left. Teams can turn around quickly these days and having an albatross like that whether you’re cash strapped or not, is not a good thing.
Yeah, I submitted a few possibilities earlier.

I still like Loui for AHLer Darling the best

... and I see Carolina has not bought out Darling yet. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.