Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet
Yoodle, you are the worst shit disturber I know

I would not bet against it ;) :lol:
A fellow shit disturber can smell another shit disturbee a mile away.

Tripping out Mëds was easier when he was like the dude and gillis about Edler.

Its like hes finally on his...Mëds?
Those were the days UDL. :P

Low and behold now I'm in the camp that is happy we have Special Ed and quite content with his current contract.

By the by, are you insinuating that in a few years The Dude will be hopeful if he hears that Auquman is planning on bringing Gillis back into the fold to replace Benning?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:50 pm Hank wrote it but pretends to link it to some random shit disturber...

I bet

Low and behold now I'm in the camp that is happy we have Special Ed and quite content with his current contract.

By the by, are you insinuating that in a few years The Dude will be hopeful if he hears that Auquman is planning on bringing Gillis back into the fold to replace Benning?
:lol:

Oh fuck i hope so.

If only Benning hired him to help with contract negotiations...what would the dude do?

Captain Conundrum!
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:59 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:57 pm

I bet

:lol:

Oh fuck i hope so.

If only Benning hired him to help with contract negotiations...what would the dude do?

Captain Conundrum!
I'm warming up the sacrificial altar as we speak.....may the hockey gods make it happen just for our entertainment. :P
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Dude warming up to Genius Gilly...

The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:48 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers).
Would you mind linking to those "reports"?
Here is one. I believe I also heard it listening to Sportsnet 650. You're quite the web sleuth so I'll leave the rest to you.

https://www.tsn.ca/luongo-retires-hitti ... -1.1328964

If you don't think he would have gone the path of an extra $3.6 Million cash without being convinced otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:08 pm Canucks could have traded for Luongo avoiding his retirement and allowing him to go on LTIR (which from the reports was what he had intended to go on but was convinced otherwise by the Panthers).
Here is one. I believe I also heard it listening to Sportsnet 650. You're quite the web sleuth so I'll leave the rest to you.

If you don't think he would have gone the path of an extra $3.6 Million cash without being convinced otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
From the linked article.....

In 2011, Luongo brought the Canucks the closest any Canadian team has been to a Stanley Cup since 1993...

At this point he loses credibility. Has he forgotten about 1994? A 3-2 game 7 loss on the road is a fair bit closer than a 4-0 game 7 loss at home.

Unless he's saying that the fix was in and the abysmal officiating in that 7th game that was heavily in favour of the Rags was arranged by the league.

I also don't see anything in that article that indicates he had intended to go on, nor do I see anything about any potential trade back to the Canucks and then going on LTIR.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 pm.

Unless he's saying that the fix was in and the abysmal officiating in that 7th game that was heavily in favour of the Rags was arranged by the league.

Abso-fuckin-lootley. That mutherfucker Gregson was calling very sketch shit in that 3rd. We were all over them and they were wilting bad. The absurd penalties gave the rags the rest they needed to survive.

Not to mention the weird extra day between 6 and 7 that was a last minute thing. The league was doing everything they could to give that series to them

Cunts
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hank wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm Comment from another blog:
Bettman warned in no uncertain terms there were going to be ramifications for any team that front loaded deals to circumnavigate the last CBA. Gillis & team decided to ignore the warning in pursuit of a cup (good thing) & knowing any possible pay back would be kicked years down the road (bad thing).

Gillis did a lot of good things in pursuit of the cup but almost all of them were meant to push problems further down the road and all of them have come back to haunt the team in multitude of ways, this is just the latest example. Unfortunately, navigating the landmines Gillis’ short term pursuits left behind, is a job this management group does not seem savvy enough to work around.
One comment on the part about Bettman's warning.....

It took him 4 years AFTER Luongo's contract was approved by the NHL to change the rule.

If the league makes rules that are agreed upon by the league itself, all of the owners, GM's, and the PA, then there should not be a scenario in which the league can come back 4 years later and penalize teams for working within those rules, especially when the NHL itself has to rubber stamp all of the contracts.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"The Panthers actually encouraged Luongo to retire instead of seeking a long-term injury exception"

Yeahno, that link doesn't say "he had intended to go on LTIR".

Lou probably decided to call it a career and wasn't sure as to the which way to go about ending it contract-wise.

Cats: "It would be best for us if you just retired, rather than go the LTIR route."

Lou: "Okay, sure"

You said Canucks could have traded for Luongo... and then LTIRed him.

How do you know Florida gave Vancouver that option?

Perhaps Florida (and Lou) preferred to have the big Luongo Celebration this fall.

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 pm If you don't think he would have gone the path of an extra $3.6 Million cash without being convinced otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
Well if you're right about that I don't know what to tell you.

Other then to say, if he wanted LTIR he could have simply asked at that point for a trade to Vancouver.

Sorry I shat all over your little fantasy narrative there friend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm Once upon a time yours truly was screaming on a fucking Canucks messageboard for fucking Gillis to CBO Luongo.

Thoughts Dude?
It's true. Oh it's so true.

So was it Gillis who wouldn't or was it Aquabros who nixed it because of the pure dollars it would have cost? I'm going with the latter, because recapture penalties cost nothing, they just make it harder for the current management to do their job. Ownership can sit back and just point a finger at the GM while saving 7 figures worth of cash every year.

Although, at the time, CBO'ing Luongo might have seen like the right move in the long term, it would have precluded the Canucks ever having Bo Horvat as we would have had to keep Schneider as our starter because Luongo would not have been eligible to re-sign with Vancouver.....and I know for a fact that during that window of time where CBO's were permitted there was at least one poster on a f***ing Canucks messageboard who was tossing Panic-Attack Schneider under the bus for his mental health issues on a regular basis.

Your thoughts Blob?
Since I hated Schneids, I would've been all over a Schneids for 13th overall trade no?

Luongo bought out or not.

And gotta love how the Gillis-apologists try to blame the owners who have never had a problem spending! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:45 pm

"The Panthers actually encouraged Luongo to retire instead of seeking a long-term injury exception"

Yeahno, that link doesn't say "he had intended to go on LTIR".

Lou probably decided to call it a career and wasn't sure as to the which way to go about ending it contract-wise.

Cats: "It would be best for us if you just retired, rather than go the LTIR route."

Lou: "Okay, sure"

You said Canucks could have traded for Luongo... and then LTIRed him.

How do you know Florida gave Vancouver that option?

Perhaps Florida (and Lou) preferred to have the big Luongo Celebration this fall.

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 pm If you don't think he would have gone the path of an extra $3.6 Million cash without being convinced otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
Well if you're right about that I don't know what to tell you.

Other then to say, if he wanted LTIR he could have simply asked at that point for a trade to Vancouver.

Sorry I shat all over your little fantasy narrative there friend...
:lol: Your throwing shit at the wall and hoping that it somehow sticks doesn't quite equate to what you think it does.

But good effort.

So Luongo wasn't convinced to give up an extra $3.6 Million Cash - Now that sounds like a fantasy narrative.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Him throwing shit at the wall is how the Dude learned.

Monkey see monkey do
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:52 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm Once upon a time yours truly was screaming on a fucking Canucks messageboard for fucking Gillis to CBO Luongo.

Thoughts Dude?
It's true. Oh it's so true.

So was it Gillis who wouldn't or was it Aquabros who nixed it because of the pure dollars it would have cost? I'm going with the latter, because recapture penalties cost nothing, they just make it harder for the current management to do their job. Ownership can sit back and just point a finger at the GM while saving 7 figures worth of cash every year.

Although, at the time, CBO'ing Luongo might have seen like the right move in the long term, it would have precluded the Canucks ever having Bo Horvat as we would have had to keep Schneider as our starter because Luongo would not have been eligible to re-sign with Vancouver.....and I know for a fact that during that window of time where CBO's were permitted there was at least one poster on a f***ing Canucks messageboard who was tossing Panic-Attack Schneider under the bus for his mental health issues on a regular basis.

Your thoughts Blob?
Since I hated Schneids, I would've been all over a Schneids for 13th overall trade no?

Luongo bought out or not.
I assumed that much. But it would have left us with a gianormous hole between the pipes, and at that time many still thought that with a couple little tweaks the team still had one more kick at the can in their current window. Obviously it would have forced the reset a year earlier though.
And gotta love how the Gillis-apologists try to blame the owners who have never had a problem spending! :lol:
Well I'd hardly call my self a Gillis-apologist. I think he screwed up royally all over the place, and despite my questions about Elmer's competence when it comes to contract and trade negotiations, I do think he's an overall significant improvement on GMMG.....and his latest contract talks with Edler bear out that he is getting better in that department.

There did seem to be a bit more of a special relationship between ownership and Louie than you see between most players and owners, maybe it was a mafia connection of sorts? :P So when it came to him I think ownership was more involved. As I said, that poster on a f***ing Canucks message board who was calling for a CBO way back then was not wrong in calling for it. I just think that it would have been a situation that ownership would have been more involved with, and I also suspect that it was a situation that Gillis just simply did not have the balls to deal with himself.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

.The day; . The visit:
.James Duthie

@tsnjamesduthie
Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini came to Luongo's house in Florida and told him about the Schneider trade moments before it was announced.
3:36 PM - 30 Jun 2013

(https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2013/6/ ... -schneider)
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 pm :lol: Your throwing shit at the wall and hoping that it somehow sticks doesn't quite equate to what you think it does.

But good effort.

So Luongo wasn't convinced to give up an extra $3.6 Million Cash - Now that sounds like a fantasy narrative.
This started with your feel-bad fantasy narrative that had no basis in reality.

(you throwing shit at the wall)

I merely countered with some more realistic alternatives

... in order to expose the stench of your wall-shit.

But thanks for coming out...
____
Try to focus on someday.