Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:25 pm the most uninspiring hockey anyone has ever seen...

That lazy prick is poison to young players
Blob and his super-hyperbole! :lol:

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:25 pm These clowns that think he can be traded for an asset on his own are out to lunch.
Are these clowns.... strawmen?? Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:25 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:53 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:38 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 pm Look what it cost the Leaves to get rid of Marleau who had one year left and is a better player.
Yeahno, Marleau is completely done.

Loui is a still a decent 3rd-liner/PK-guy on some teams.

Also any team that traded for Marleau had to buy him out.

Also, Dubas.
Different situations - the Leaves have a top young player they need to sign and zero cap space. The Nucks have the cap space to bury Loui if needed. They aren't in a bind like the Leaves were - at least they won't be until the new contracts for Quinn and Petey come up in 2 years.
Yes they are different situations. Marleau is only signed for one more year, while the Air Thief is signed for three. Sure he is only owed 9 million over three years but he still is owed 18 on the cap. No GM is likely to piss away 6 million of cap annually on a player to throw three hits and play some of the most uninspiring hockey anyone has ever seen. Not without a significant sweetener. That lazy prick is poison to young players and any team that takes him on would appear to have little interest in winning anytime soon. These clowns that think he can be traded for an asset on his own are out to lunch.
I was thinking more along the lines of Loui either retiring or being buried in the minors. I agree I don’t too many teams taking in that contract without a sweetener, perhaps Ottawa given Melnyk is a cheap prick and he needs to spend another $13 million or so to get to the cap.

Bury him, let him retire, trade him - he won’t be around any longer I don’t think.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am Question? If Ericksson gets his bonus July 1st and then retires, do we still have a cap hit on him this season? If yes, how much?
No, if he retires his whole cap hit is gone. It's only if a player signs his deal over age 35 that you keep the cap hit.
Yes I know. What I’m asking is if he retires after his bonus is paid. It means he will have been paid a substantial amount towards next season. Are you saying we don’t get a cap hit for that?
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear Jim and LE already have an agreement in place come July 1st. Either Louie agrees to retire following his bonus payment, or a trade is pre-approved with another club.

Regardless, we've seen the last of Louie Eriksson in a Canuck uni.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'm wondering... with surplus of forwards, could Jim trade 2-for-1 forwards for defencemen? Are there any teams that need forward depth that would give a serviceable d-man in exchange? He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done. If some of these guys might get lost to waivers anyway, at least you get some value out of them.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear Jim and LE already have an agreement in place come July 1st. Either Louie agrees to retire following his bonus payment, or a trade is pre-approved with another club.

Encouraging posting is always encouraging... +1
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Puck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done.
He’s been known to do this frequently
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am
Puck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done.
Well, um, https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/7510

Meh. I could whoop him.

Let's not overpay.
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:55 am
Well, um, https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/7510

Meh. I could whoop him.

Let's not overpay.
Would be an interesting blueline with Myers and Tryamkin back there...

ps, love the videos and gifs you add to your posts....they always put a smile on my face...

Take care...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:20 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:34 pm I get real entertainment value how some people hear a rumor, take it as fact, expand upon it to truly wallow in self created negativity and bullshit and THEN blame a GM for a bad thing that never happens.

happens to ALL GM's in EVERY league in EVERY sport...

ah, good times, good times....
Nobody’s blamed anyone. Some of us have seen the track record and automatically assume the worst. :lol:

Doesn't "Assume" make an "Ass" of "u" and some guy named "Ume"??? :lol: :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am Question? If Ericksson gets his bonus July 1st and then retires, do we still have a cap hit on him this season? If yes, how much?
No, if he retires his whole cap hit is gone. It's only if a player signs his deal over age 35 that you keep the cap hit.
Yes I know. What I’m asking is if he retires after his bonus is paid. It means he will have been paid a substantial amount towards next season. Are you saying we don’t get a cap hit for that?
No, no other cap hit - there's no recapture or anything like that on contracts since around 2014 if I remember correctly. The rule was changed whenever they added in the max contract length at 7 years (FA) or 8 years (your own FA).

The $6 million annual cap hit takes the bonus into account, it's immaterial when it's paid for cap purposes. For real cash it's a big thing though, as a team like the Sens could pick him up at a $6 million cap hit but only $3 million in real dollars so they get a free $3 million to get to the cap floor.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear Jim and LE already have an agreement in place come July 1st. Either Louie agrees to retire following his bonus payment, or a trade is pre-approved with another club.

I agree he's gone, I really just hope that retirement is what he chooses. The extra $6 million would be a nice thing to have assuming Jimbo spends it wisely. :shock:
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

...and with today's news of Luongo retiring.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Puck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am I'm wondering... with surplus of forwards, could Jim trade 2-for-1 forwards for defencemen? Are there any teams that need forward depth that would give a serviceable d-man in exchange? He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done. If some of these guys might get lost to waivers anyway, at least you get some value out of them.
There are teams who would do that, but the issue is always whether what you are getting in return is going to be an upgrade or worth it.

Chicago needs forwards and is D heavy, but some might argue they are probably busy planning Seabrook's career ending injury, pointing out (completely unsubstantiated) rumors that he's been wearing Hossa's pads.

The Avalanche want to move Zadorov. And they'd probably ask for Virtanen and Gaudette. Those are the two players with some untapped upside that can play in the NHL now and if they don't get better, that's okay.

And so JB has to say, okay, I get that you want some player who might grow. But you need a 3C right now. Sutter is your guy....

And Burnaby Joe hangs up.
Hono_rary Canadian
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am
No, no other cap hit - there's no recapture or anything like that on contracts since around 2014 if I remember correctly. The rule was changed whenever they added in the max contract length at 7 years (FA) or 8 years (your own FA).

The $6 million annual cap hit takes the bonus into account, it's immaterial when it's paid for cap purposes. For real cash it's a big thing though, as a team like the Sens could pick him up at a $6 million cap hit but only $3 million in real dollars so they get a free $3 million to get to the cap floor.
I doubt the NHL would allow Loui to keep his bonus money if he retires.

Such a thing has never happened and I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the CBA that covers it.

The NFL went through this with Barry Sanders when he retired in 1999.

It had never happened in the NFL and nothing in the CBA.

In the end NFL saw to it that Sanders returned the signing bonus.
____
Try to focus on someday.