2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cherry Picker »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 pm All you people who hate the Miller trade only get to bitch about Benning BECAUSE the GM is Benning.

The ten top picks before Benning became GM were Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, McNally, Schroeder, Hodgson, White, Grabner, Bourdon, and Schneider - Whoopdeefriggindo!

Some people act like first round picks are guaranteed hall of framers. Take a friggin pill. Sell your house and go buy a truck load of lottery tickets. There is no way you can lose!

Bunch of friggin morons.
So because Gillis was one of the worst drafters in history we should give away our 1st rounders now? Makes a lot of sense. Not to mention aside from Horvat (great pick), Hodgson (good pick until he developed a disease forcing him to retire), and Bourdon (who knows what he would have become) all of those are mid/late 1st rounders and likely not applicable to this team - you even included a 4th rounder like McNally for good measure which is just odd.

How about Jake, McCann, Brock, Olli, Petey, Quinn and Podz? I think the reason people don't like this trade is because Benning is a good drafter and we want him to use MORE picks, not trade them. I'm not sure how you spin that to what you wrote.
If Benning is right the Canucks will make the playoffs once in the next two years and Miller will be better than most non-lottery first round picks. That is not unreasonable. Miller plays now with a decent possibility of being on the top line with Pettersson and Boeser. That first round draft pick is at least three or four years away from the NHL. Draft picks are crap shoots and the Canucks don’t win lotteries. If Benning is a good drafter, he’ll pick up enough talent in later rounds to keep the Canucks supplied with youth. They have a young core now. Of course you can always try to add more and more youth (see the Coilers) but at some point you can make move to go for the playoffs. They have a decent core of kids playing key rolls on the team, giving them some talent to play with and a chance to be competitive is certainly worth the price. If the team doesn’t make the playoffs, Benning is likely gone. The next GM will be sitting in a lot better position to benefit from Benning’s work than Benning was when Gillis was fried.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 am The one intangible we have going for us is that Pettersson is more than your average emerging prospect. Hes a franchise type difference maker. Quinn Hughes has some of that same level of elite talent.
When you bring up those names, especially Pettersson, it's a good reminder of the adage the best trade you make is the one you don't. We offered up that No. 5 for Subban. Can you imagine the outlook now if that trade had been made.
The rumour was the 2016 5th o/a for Subban (that was Juolevi, not Pettersson)

(Benning would never have considered trading the 5th in 2017 with Pettersson still available)

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm Also, there seems to be a consensus with this trade the tank is dead. Really? If anything, due to the lottery protection, I think the tank might be stronger than ever, especially for this year. If the next draft is as strong as people say I'll be cheering hard to ensure we get in on it. THEN...the tank will most certainly be dead the following year.
The consensus is the team is transitioning from rebuild mode to playoffs mode.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm Well i guess we are in our seats and the captain has put on the fasten seat belts sign. We are going where he takes us whether we like it or not.

He has a vision. He wants to build around a young core of boeser pettersson horvat and hughes...and the pod i suppose. Hes going to add pieces he feels will put us over that hump to contention and is prepared to move out distant futures to get there.

At least we are seeing some sort of direction...whether its exactly how each and every one of us would do it is irrelevant really. Hes the hockey guy...we are the condescending observers lol. I'd rather see some sort of plan in action that 15 years of 1st rounders coming and going as they price themselves out of our future.
Exactly! A year from now, we will know whether JB's plan pans out or not. The worst case scenario is the Canucks not making the playoffs and JB is fired. At the very least, the next GM will have a lot of assets to deal with.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:23 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm Well i guess we are in our seats and the captain has put on the fasten seat belts sign. We are going where he takes us whether we like it or not.

He has a vision. He wants to build around a young core of boeser pettersson horvat and hughes...and the pod i suppose. Hes going to add pieces he feels will put us over that hump to contention and is prepared to move out distant futures to get there.

At least we are seeing some sort of direction...whether its exactly how each and every one of us would do it is irrelevant really. Hes the hockey guy...we are the condescending observers lol. I'd rather see some sort of plan in action that 15 years of 1st rounders coming and going as they price themselves out of our future.
Exactly! A year from now, we will know whether JB's plan pans out or not. The worst case scenario is the Canucks not making the playoffs and JB is fired. At the very least, the next GM will have a lot of assets to deal with.
I am in my seat, seat belt is on and I already have a whisky in my hand. First class so I get served earlier than the slum in the back.

To be honest, I am excited again, I hope we do sign a FA D and move forward. Frack next years 1st round pick, frack 2021 1st round pick, both will be in the 20 - 31 spot.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

To me missing the playoffs next year is not a bad scenario at all as long as they do it right and crater properly.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:29 pm
To be honest, I am excited again, I hope we do sign a FA D and move forward. Frack next years 1st round pick, frack 2021 1st round pick, both will be in the 20 - 31 spot.
Brock Boeser was a 23rd.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:00 pm
mr perfect wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm Can you or anyone else here give me some examples where a perennial rebuilding/non playoff team traded their first rounder for a veteran player not named Gretzky and benefitted long term?
Can you give some examples of a perennial rebuilding/non playoff team trading their first rounder for a veteran player

... and not benefiting long term? :sly:
To Strangelove -- Islanders, Ryan Smyth, 2007. Now, as it turns out, that First Rounder and the other two players that went to Edmonton didn't amount to anything. But the Islanders at the time were a perennial bubble team or worse.
The 2006-07 Islanders don't fit within the stated parameters.

(not a perennial rebuilding/non playoff team)

They had made the playoffs in 3 of the previous 4 seasons.

(and Ryan Smyth helped them return that year)

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am And they followed the trade by several more years of futility, missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years before doing to again by trading a first and a second for Vanek after making the playoffs one year and thinking they were on to something. They traded Vanek at the deadline. This time, though, losing the first for Vanek didn't hurt the Islanders, as they've made the playoffs 3 of the past 5 years and have the pieces to make things work.
The 2013-14 Islanders don't fit within the stated parameters.

(not a perennial rebuilding/non playoff team)

(they had made the playoffs the previous year)

Curiously, they traded Vanek at the deadline that year to Mtl for a 2nd because they couldn't re-sign the pending UFA.

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am Phil Kessel is probably another classic example. The Leaves gave up two firsts for him (which became Seguin and Hamilton....) and Kessel was only able to get them into the playoffs once.
Got them into the playoffs you say??

Ahhh then he did "benefit them long term"! :sly:

Worth noting when they traded Kessel away, they got back a young 1st-rounder (Kapanen) plus an additional 1st.

(more long term benefiting)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:38 pm
Brock Boeser was a 23rd.
Jared McCann was a 24th.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Libor Polasek 21st - check and mate
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 pm

To me missing the playoffs next year is not a bad scenario at all as long as they do it right and crater properly.
As you mentioned before, JB most likely will be gone if the Canucks miss the playoffs for 5 straight seasons. If you were JB, what would you do? He is doing what most of us will do, trying to keep his job. It is a gamble but it might pay off at the end.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:53 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 pm

As you mentioned before, JB most likely will be gone if the Canucks miss the playoffs for 5 straight seasons. If you were JB, what would you do? He is doing what most of us will do, trying to keep his job. It is a gamble but it might pay off at the end.
I agree he’s trying to save his own skin. I think he’s been dealt a poor hand by the owners and fwiw for having started the rebuild in Feb 2017 he’s actually done a good job since then. I just think this trade is a gross overpayment. I don’t blame him for wanting to prolong his tenure and try to limp into the playoffs. Anyone would do this. I’m more mad at ownership for lacking vision and a plan. Benning happens to work for idiots and one thing he’s proven is that he is a good bird dog. The Italians have set him up to fail really.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Heres a scenario Blob...

The canucks do in fact turn that corner and the pick the Ning take from us is 20 OA or something...

Knowing this, wouldnt it ease the sting?

Benning is operating under the assumption that things will be this way and in fact he is directly responsible to make these necessary moves. Hes taking a risk and banking on what he can control.

I'll give the guy some credit for sticking his neck out and making a bold move for once. Its been a while since we've had anything like this in canucksland. Kick back, pack a fresh bowl and watch the show
If you need air...call it in
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:53 pm
Brock Boeser was a 23rd.
Jared McCann was a 24th.
So you think JB is likely to regress in his drafting instead of continue improving?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1327602

Interesting interview with a commentator for Tampa. He and their coach John Cooper say JT Miller's strengths are: puck battles below the dot + in the corners, net front presence, puck possession, opening space for mates, drawing defenders to him then dishing it off, good shot, quick hands, good PP guy and a very good face-off man. It appears that JB & his staff are looking more at analytics, rather than points in targeting this player that might be good with Petey + Brockstar. Miler sounds a bit like Higgy, but a bit bigger and maybe more talented. Looks like he's a Greener type player: versatile, strong, tough to play against and very good on draws. Nucks might dominate the faceoff circle and possession numbers next season as Greener can throw out his lefties in BoHo and Miller along with our righties in BeagsDawg and Sutter all nite. :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:06 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:53 pm
Brock Boeser was a 23rd.
Jared McCann was a 24th.
So you think JB is likely to regress in his drafting instead of continue improving?
He’ll make it up as he goes. :lol: