2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm
Most GMs in west or the east would love to trade with Benning
:lol:

Why cause every transaction comes with a complimentary 2nd or 3rd rounder FREE?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:17 pm

No shit. I don’t even mind Miller as a player but the price tag sucks. Pretty much everywhere but here among a few klowns this deal is getting panned and people are saying Elmer got throat pumped again. Draft and develop. Rinse and repeat. Some folks just can’t handle a rebuild.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:12 pm Apparently, although both of you think JB is a genius, neither of you have as much faith in JB's drafting as I do, because I see it as at least probable that a first round pick by JB (at this point) ends up being substantially better than Miller.
It's a lottery-protected pick, so somewhere in Boeser/McCann territory.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Pretty funny. Nice to see Bettman having fun with it and doing something creative. :D

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouv ... foMEIJ6zt0

Interesting draft.

1) JT Miller trade: Once again, we have a Miller time! First it was Aaron Miller, then Ryan Millzy, now JT. *hehe* A 1st + 3rd seems like a high price to pay for a guy who has never put up big numbers. Couple of 20 goals seasons is not bad I guess. Willing to give him a chance and see what he brings @ camp and early next season. JB will looks really bad if that 1st becomes a top lottery pick. Just hope he's not another David Boothy. :P

2) Podkolzin: With the Golden One's future here in limbo, we gotta get a new Russian. Maybe he'll be the new buddy to woo Tryamkin to come back. Hopefully, he'll become our new Machine Gun Grabner. :D

3) Hoglander: a shrimpy forward, but JB seems to really like him.

3) Keppen: Looks like our new Gadjovich type project

4) Silovs: Clouts and Clark seem to really like big dood goalies, all 6 foot 2 plus. With Marky Mark leading the way, we also have some tall young netminders in Demko, Kielly and now Silovs. Just Dipietro is the dwarf amongst them. *hehe* I'm quite interested in seeing how this crop of young goalies develop. Just wish had this kind of size in our D and forward core. :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

It feels like they get at least a 7th as a gratuity just for answering his phone call.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

5thhorseman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:12 pm Apparently, although both of you think JB is a genius, neither of you have as much faith in JB's drafting as I do, because I see it as at least probable that a first round pick by JB (at this point) ends up being substantially better than Miller.
It's a lottery-protected pick, so somewhere in Boeser/McCann territory.
I think JB has shown an upward trend in his drafting. Hence, my thinking that the pick (if made by him) would be substantially better than Miller. More Boeser. Less McCann.

And if a 2021 pick then no lotto protection which means potentially a gamechanger if not a lotto win.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Podkolzin: "We (#Canucks) talked for a long time. And I will say it again - I am very glad that I was chosen by Vancouver. I hope this is the beginning of a long journey.
I want to try myself in the NHL. Especially in Vancouver. I want to win something in this league".

Translated Sunday; June 23/2019
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Miller (6'1", 218lb) put up nearly identical numbers to Bo Horvat (6', 215) until buried in Tampa depth last year. He and Bo are similar size and on similar contracts (Miller is $250K/yr cheaper than Bo with the same # yrs left on his deal). Miller returns to top 6 position he held with the Rags. Miller is 2 yrs older than Bo and a yr younger than Pearson. Miller was drafted 2 spots behind Bearchia and 14 ahead of Nick Jensen.

Would you want a 1st in return for Bo Horvat?
  • Year Gm G A Pt Pim
    2015-16 82 16 24 40 18
    2016-17 81 20 32 52 27
    2017-18 64 22 22 44 10
    2018-19 82 27 34 61 33
  • Year Gm G A Pt Pim
    2015-16 82 22 21 43 46
    2016-17 82 22 34 56 21
    2017-18 82 23 35 58 40
    2018-19 75 13 34 47 30
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:19 am Miller (6'1", 218lb) put up nearly identical numbers to Bo Horvat (6', 215) until buried in Tampa depth last year. He and Bo are similar size and on similar contracts (Miller is $250K/yr cheaper than Bo with the same # yrs left on his deal). Miller returns to top 6 position he held with the Rags. Miller is 2 yrs older than Bo and a yr younger than Pearson. Miller was drafted 2 spots behind Bearchia and 14 ahead of Nick Jensen.

Would you want a 1st in return for Bo Horvat?
  • Year Gm G A Pt Pim
    2015-16 82 16 24 40 18
    2016-17 81 20 32 52 27
    2017-18 64 22 22 44 10
    2018-19 82 27 34 61 33
  • Year Gm G A Pt Pim
    2015-16 82 22 21 43 46
    2016-17 82 22 34 56 21
    2017-18 82 23 35 58 40
    2018-19 75 13 34 47 30
Well when you put it that way .......

Nice comparison and one that makes me see things in a different light. For sure I’d expect a 1st plus for Bo. I feel better about the deal. Still hate giving up a first but at some point we have to break away from the rebuild/tank mentality. It’s time to make the playoffs. Miller can help with that goal.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah we had to break away from that two and a half year rebuild mentality.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:30 pm
I don’t mind Miller but yeah it definitely seems like he had his beer goggles on and lovers nuts for this certain guy.
That's funny, there wasn't a single rumor of Benning going after Miller, but you have decided to adopt this narrative that he had beer goggles on for this certain guy.

I mean, surely on your narrative there would have been a whisper of this happening? After all, you are so plugged in that you've brought this scoop that Benning supposedly offered #6oa, Horvat, and his wife's wedding ring for Subban, you must have heard something in advance about Benning having a hard on for Miller?

Otherwise, it would seem to suggest that your narrative is bullshit, just like your story on the Subban offer (which was far better than what the Hab's actually got, but hey, narrative, right?).

If Benning wants to recoup a 1st, he can always trade Miller again. He's been traded for a first twice before.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:49 am
I wouldn't worry about a few posters here always defending Jimbo. I learned a while ago that they just do it for the sheer entertainment, it has nothing to do with the job they actually think he's doing. Still fun to debate them but don't ever think you'll be able to reason with them no matter what the evidence is.
Hey, I just want to say thank you, it must be exhausting being the only poster with a reasonable point of view. Seriously, bravo, we could all learn so much from you. :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 am
I don’t mind Miller but yeah it definitely seems like he had his beer goggles on and lovers nuts for this certain guy.
That's funny, there wasn't a single rumor of Benning going after Miller, but you have decided to adopt this narrative that he had beer goggles on for this certain guy.

I mean, surely on your narrative there would have been a whisper of this happening? After all, you are so plugged in that you've brought this scoop that Benning supposedly offered #6oa, Horvat, and his wife's wedding ring for Subban, you must have heard something in advance about Benning having a hard on for Miller?

Otherwise, it would seem to suggest that your narrative is bullshit, just like your story on the Subban offer (which was far better than what the Hab's actually got, but hey, narrative, right?).

If Benning wants to recoup a 1st, he can always trade Miller again. He's been traded for a first twice before.
Must defend everything Jim Benning does
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:39 am
ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 am

Must defend everything Jim Benning does
Benning admitted that they had been trying to do a deal for him for awhile. Micky posted the interview somewhere.
Hopefully Jimbro is right on this.
Now get a top 4 d-man & clear out some dead weight
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm

No shit. I don’t even mind Miller as a player but the price tag sucks. Pretty much everywhere but here among a few klowns this deal is getting panned and people are saying Elmer got throat pumped again. Draft and develop. Rinse and repeat. Some folks just can’t handle a rebuild.
Question, how many of us have actually watched him enough to judge the trade? As a season ticket holder and NHL Centre Ice subscriber I watch lots of hockey and have to admit that I was taken back by his skill level and physical play after watching some of his highlight packages....

This is a review of the deal from the Hockey News;

There’s no reason to believe that Miller can’t round back into form in Vancouver, either. Despite last season’s offensive dip, he was a consistent 20-goal, 45-point scorer in the three seasons prior. In fact, even accounting for last season’s scoring slide, Miller has scored at an average of 20 goals and 52 points per season over the past four campaigns. The 26-year-old is right in the prime of his career, too, so there may be no time like the present for him to have himself a career year.

So, a slight overpayment? Maybe, but it’s a deal that saw both teams get exactly what they wanted. The Canucks add to an offense that was far too centered on three players, one of whom was a baby-faced rookie last season, while the Lightning got sweet, sweet cap relief, though it likely won’t be long before they’re right up against the spending limit once again.

In today's NHL, the traditional 5 tool player has been replaced with the 6 tool player....

The 6th tool is the contract and especially over the next 2 seasons leading up to the entry of the Seattle franchise that 6th tool is one of the most important qualities when making deals and judging a players worth to a team....

Some, especially those in the local media are slow to come around and understand the value of a value contract in a hard cap system so I get that some may not like the deal....

Philadelphia just spent a 5th round pick and $50 million over 7 years which included a full NMC to acquire an older player who has similar numbers to Miller as compared to Millers contract which is $26,250 over 5 years with a modified NTC....

As for exit strategies, should things fall apart in Vancouver over the next 2 seasons and the team wants to unload Miller at the deadline what could it expect?

A 28 year old with 2 more years at $5,250,000 per I would expect could fetch a nice return and take away the sting some are feeling about the 1st rounder the team traded away....

Take care...