2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 am This is where an experienced President of Hockey Operations would come in handy. Elmer needs a boss to hold his hand and to talk him out of these dumb moves.
Blob loved the trade Calgary made for Hamonic
No I didnt
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:44 am This is where an experienced President of Hockey Operations would come in handy. Elmer needs a boss to hold his hand and to talk him out of these dumb moves.
No I didnt
You didn’t hate it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:02 am
No I didnt
You didn’t hate it
I said it was a steep price
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:11 am
No I didnt
You didn’t hate it
You didn’t hate the trade
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Regardless of how we feel and the trade, spending a few minutes on YouTube watching some of his highlights gotta get you pumped thinking about him in the lineup....

Take care
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:45 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 am I guess we could just go on losing like your Buffalos and Edmonton’s and Arizona’s for decades in the name of draft picks that are not guaranteed.
And yet youll endlessly flog the dead horse of gillis selling picks off for help when they were an actual contender...
Gillis was a terrible GM. Benning isn’t. Big difference
True...but his team was a contender when he was acquiring talent for picks. Bennings team is not
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:28 am
No I didnt
You didn’t hate it
I didn’t like it
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks could still be a lottery team in 2020, which is fine. Tampa can have the 2021.

At the start of the 2020-21 season you’ll be seeing faces like Juolevi, Madden, Lockwood, Woo, Tryamkin, Podkozlin, DiPietro, Hoglander, Gadjovich, Lind around town by then. Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, Miller will be in their prime. The team will be set for Lord Stanley! Great job Benning
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:28 am
No I didnt
You didn’t hate it
I didn’t like it
You didn’t tear Calgary a new one for giving up an “unprotected” lottery pick and two seconds for your “stud” Hamonic.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am Canucks could still be a lottery team in 2020, which is fine. Tampa can have the 2021.

At the start of the 2020-21 season you’ll be seeing faces like Juolevi, Madden, Lockwood, Woo, Tryamkin, Podkozlin, DiPietro, Hoglander, Gadjovich, Lind around town by then. Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson, Virtanen, Gaudette, Demko, Miller will be in their prime. The team will be set for Lord Stanley! Great job Benning
What if pettersson goes down early? What if the team stumbles 2 years in a row?

Thatll be bennings head plus an assload of fan support if tampon gleans our lottery winning pick.

I get the justification for using a 1st rounder at a critical time but i just dont think Miller is an asset worthy of this risk.

Please let me be wrong
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 am I guess we could just go on losing like your Buffalos and Edmonton’s and Arizona’s for decades in the name of draft picks that are not guaranteed.
And yet youll endlessly flog the dead horse of gillis selling picks off for help when they were an actual contender...
True...but his team was a contender when he was acquiring talent for picks. Bennings team is not
Two polar opposite situations - Gillis inherited a “ great”situation, and failed miserably. Benning inherited a terrific mess that is currently/still work in progress

Did you know that the Canucks rank 29th overall in the league for the years Gillis drafted. A stat on the success ratio of draft picks making it

The Penguins at the same ranked as one of the best in the league even though they were as good if not better in the standings at the same time as the Gillis years. Why was Pittsburgh able to draft with success and Gillis not?
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am
Two polar opposite situations - Gillis inherited a “ great”situation, and failed miserably. Benning inherited a terrific mess that is currently/still work in progress
How we got here and gillis got to where he was when he traded futures for depth is irrelevant in the context of this discussion and you know it.

One was a contender, one is not.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am
How we got here and gillis got to where he was when he traded futures for depth is irrelevant in the context of this discussion and you know it.

One was a contender, one is not.
Gillis was gift wrapped a glorious situation and shit fucked it for the next GM. I got news for you, he didn’t win the Cup and was horrendous in trying to get back there when all his peers at the time got back there many times. He is without question a horrible hockey man
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hopefully Ignitowski doesn’t hamstring the team further July 1 with a few more Eriksson or Sutter type millstones. The price for Miller was too much and it’s a shitty trade but at least Miller is on a decent contract.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 am With Callahan on permanent LTIR, Tampa isn't up against the cap like everyone seems to think.
Brisebois seemed to think they were "up against the cap" and made the move to clear cap space:

"Eventually we were going to have to unload some players and unfortunately today was one of those days. We had to create some cap space and Miller ended up being the player moved to make that cap space."

Tampa not having any cap issues is a nice narrative though to try to justify the overpayment. Just not true.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu