2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Per »

So... Höglander. You may think Pettersson comes from a small town. Well, Höglander takes that to a whole new level.

Bockträsk (Goat Swamp) in Lapland (Sweden's northernmost province) where he grow up has roughly 20 inhabitants. Nils and his one year older sister were the only kids there. They learnt how to skate on the nearby lake, Bockträsket (the Goat Swamp). They both started playing hockey in Malå, a slightly bigger place with some 2000 inhabitants, which I guess is also where they went to school. After a while they moved to Skellefteå, where they both played hockey for Clemensnäs IF. During that time, when Nils was 12, his sister suddenly died from a burst aorta. :(

At age 15 he moved to Timrå, to play with them (yet again moving to a better team) and played 16 games with their J18 team, which also featured Elias Pettersson (sic!).

At 16, he and his mom moved to Stockholm, where he attended a hockey high school programme and played for AIK. He mostly played for their J16, J18 and J20 teams during his three year stint there, but also some games with their SHA team. Then last season he moved to Rögle, in the southernmost province of Sweden, Scania, to play in the SHL.

Börje Salming is another famous Laplander. No other comparisson. But sure, they both spent time playing for AIK.

Anyway. Small town kid who has overcome hardship and moved from place to place to pursue a career in hockey.
I smell grit. And determination. And some hardheadedness to boot.

And it's a nice touch that he has played one season with Pettersson in junior.
They probably have some common friends.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Carson Focht C 6’0 179lbs Canadian played with Calgary Hitmen
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Per wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:55 pm So... Höglander. You may think Pettersson comes from a small town. Well, Höglander takes that to a whole new level.

Bockträsk (Goat Swamp) in Lapland (Sweden's northernmost province) where he grow up has roughly 20 inhabitants. Nils and his one year older sister were the only kids there. They learnt how to skate on the nearby lake, Bockträsket (the Goat Swamp). They both started playing hockey in Malå, a slightly bigger place with some 2000 inhabitants, which I guess is also where they went to school. After a while they moved to Skellefteå, where they both played hockey for Clemensnäs IF. During that time, when Nils was 12, his sister suddenly died from a burst aorta. :(

At age 15 he moved to Timrå, to play with them (yet again moving to a better team) and played 16 games with their J18 team, which also featured Elias Pettersson (sic!).

At 16, he and his mom moved to Stockholm, where he attended a hockey high school programme and played for AIK. He mostly played for their J16, J18 and J20 teams during his three year stint there, but also some games with their SHA team. Then last season he moved to Rögle, in the southernmost province of Sweden, Scania, to play in the SHL.

Börje Salming is another famous Laplander. No other comparisson. But sure, they both spent time playing for AIK.

Anyway. Small town kid who has overcome hardship and moved from place to place to pursue a career in hockey.
I smell grit. And determination. And some hardheadedness to boot.

And it's a nice touch that he has played one season with Pettersson in junior.
They probably have some common friends.
I think we got 2 great steals, I think hogs is gonna be a top 6 guy. This draft could set us up great while we’re competing for the cup. I foresee lind and gadjovich taking big steps this year in the ahl, and then with pods and hog breaking in we could have some great young talent.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elmer at it again.

Wake me up when they gas this pisstank
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm I like this trade, immediate impact on top 6, 4 more years at a cost controlled contract, big 200 ft player, ntc now voided, we keep the first for next year if we miss the playoffs (huge deal with how deep the draft is). I don’t get the freak out, Miller is a legit player
He is a player. Its not that...its that a rebuilding team should hang onto 1st rounders especially when your gms greatest attribute is judging amateur talent.
And shouldn't overpay in a market where other cash strapped teams are paying high prices for cap space.

And if they were going to overpay a 1st, 3rd and prospect to a cash strapped team, perhaps it should have been at a time when trying to move from competitive to contending rather than from subpar to competitive. Either way I don't think the addition of JT gets you there. For such substantive assets I would have hoped to see more of a game changer (whether O or D).
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lots of forward talent in the pipe now...what about that defense though?
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

6th round - #156: Arturs Silovs G LVA 6' 4" 203 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 am This is yet another massive overpayment by JB - and just when I was getting to like him.

A 3rd and a first - how the hell does JB manage to get bent over the barrel by a cap strapped team. Perhaps he heard the term "weaponized capspace" and understood it to mean the inverse.
Klown gets raped in his own barn with 20,000 idiots watching
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:11 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm I like this trade, immediate impact on top 6, 4 more years at a cost controlled contract, big 200 ft player, ntc now voided, we keep the first for next year if we miss the playoffs (huge deal with how deep the draft is). I don’t get the freak out, Miller is a legit player
He is a player. Its not that...its that a rebuilding team should hang onto 1st rounders especially when your gms greatest attribute is judging amateur talent.
And shouldn't overpay in a market where other cash strapped teams are paying high prices for cap space.

And if they were going to overpay a 1st, 3rd and prospect to a cash strapped team, perhaps it should have been at a time when trying to move from competitive to contending rather than from subpar to competitive. Either way I don't think the addition of JT gets you there. For such substantive assets I would have hoped to see more of a game changer (whether O or D).
Miller isn’t a cap dump, Callahan going on ltir relieves most of Tampa’s issues, Miller is a 50 point versatile winger that’s cost controlled with no trade protection through his prime. The difference between competitive and contending is nothing in a salary cap world, if we improve the d we’re a playoff team, I’d take our core in the playoffs over anybody in the pacific. Pearson bo and miller are gonna be tough to handle.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

I like that they take a goalie each draft.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:20 pm 6th round - #156: Arturs Silovs G LVA 6' 4" 203 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2
Say what?! A Latvian goalie?
Second coming of Arturs Irbe? :o
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can ... ck-sharks/

Is it possible for JB to make a trade without downgrading or discarding a pick?

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:21 pm I like that they take a goalie each draft.
Probably good practice at least in the later rounds.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm Lots of forward talent in the pipe now...what about that defense though?
If he's leaving the major young core together, it's a matter of spending cap money now to upgrade the defense.
Don't see any other way.

Travis Green just said he envisions Miller on the line with Petey and Brock.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"