2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hoping Benning can move some players out now. We need D.

At least if we miss the playoffs next year we keep our first. No way it will be a lottery pick in 2021. Got a lot of reasons to cheer for making the p,ayoffs now and not tanking, at least after next season :mrgreen:

I like Miller and he will help our PP and top six. Just hate giving away 1sts at this point. Not the splash I was hoping for though.
The only HW the Canucks need
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:01 am I’m not happy with this trade. Benning has drafted some good 1st rounders. Now he gives one away when we are still a long way away from being a contender.
I am in disbelief right now. I thought we were seeing progression from JB in his asset management - instead it is right back to overpaying with picks and this may be the largest overpayment we have seen from him.

He should have been trading from a position of strength (in that he was trading with a cash strapped team who just extended JT) but instead it seems he was completely exploited.

Wow.

Caveat: I do like JT but
1) not at this price; and
2) particularly not at this price from a team that was in cap trouble; and
3) not when considering the market value we are seeing for players from other cash strapped teams.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:08 am
Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:05 am So I guess no upgrades to the D except through FA, I guess that is a good thing.
He could still get that 1st back in another trade; right?
He otta
Hockey trades Jimbo getting a pick back? I will believe it when I see it.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:01 am I’m not happy with this trade. Benning has drafted some good 1st rounders. Now he gives one away when we are still a long way away from being a contender.
I am in disbelief right now. I thought we were seeing progression from JB in his asset management - instead it is right back to overpaying with picks and this may be the largest overpayment we have seen from him.

He should have been trading from a position of strength (in that he was trading with a cash strapped team who just extended JT) but instead it seems he was completely exploited.

Wow.

3) not when considering the market value we are seeing for players from other cash strapped teams.
Exactly, massive overpayment. Go get Colin Miller from Vegas for something small, that’s how you upgrade your team. You do not give away 1st round picks when you are rebuilding.

Something tells me Jimbo thinks this team is better than it is.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Fuck me, I may go join RD and Blob down at the #5 Orange for a lot of drinks.

Strange you driving?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 am
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am

Wow.

Exactly, massive overpayment. Go get Colin Miller from Vegas for something small, that’s how you upgrade your team. You do not give away 1st round picks when you are rebuilding.

Something tells me Jimbo thinks this team is better than it is.
Yes! Make the whole damn thing right and get Collin Miller. Then: Get a first back for 22/23.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If we paid this first but got a top 4 right side dman back then i would surely feel better about it.

Doc...YOUR thoughts?
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A 1st round pick for JT Miller???

Did we hire Chiarelli or something and I missed it?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:59 am Like many are saying, can't understand why we gave up the first. At least it is lottery protected I guess. His trades are horrible it seems.
Ya I'm a pretty big Benning fan, but I really don't like this trade.

Benning is so deadly in the first round, I hate to see him move a 1rp. Particularly for a 2nd liner.

I suppose at the cost of Guddy, a 1st and a 3rd Benning has acquired two more top-6 wingers.

The only way this makes sense is if Benning knows Loui is gone without any retention. If he retires after getting his bonus, that explains the family moving back to Dallas. But if that is the case, I'd rather see Loui's cap space used on Marleau 's buy out and acquire an extra 1st.

And 3 playoff goals in 61 games does not scream 1st rounder value.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:31 am A 1st round pick for JT Miller???

Did we hire Chiarelli or something and I missed it?
:lol:

Fuck sure looks that way
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:31 am
theman wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:59 am Like many are saying, can't understand why we gave up the first. At least it is lottery protected I guess. His trades are horrible it seems.

Benning is so deadly in the first round, I hate to see him move a 1rp. Particularly for a 2nd liner.

I suppose at the cost of Guddy, a 1st and a 3rd Benning has acquired two more top-6 wingers.

The only way this makes sense is if Benning knows Loui is gone without any retention. If he retires after getting his bonus, that explains the family moving back to Dallas. But if that is the case, I'd rather see Loui's cap space used on Marleau 's buy out and acquire an extra 1st.

:(

I didnt see this...what the fuck is going on here?

Benning commits suppuku 16 hours after everyone was about to chant his name in the rink...
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:31 am

I'd feel a wee bit better if it was a replacement for Sutter and what he was originally brought in to be!
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

J.T. Miller is an experienced and versatile offensive contributor," Canucks general manager Jim Benning said in a statement. "This deal is about acquiring a player who can have an immediate impact in our top-six forward group for term."
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:24 am If he can't get to N.A. sooner, It'll be difficult if not impossible for him to get time on NHL size ice, so;
That begs the question; Would there be anything stopping him from getting in some time with some other players on
small ice in the summer? Even if it is just f**king around.
Consider two years in KHL, then how long to adjust to NHL, (style), ice size and speed.
How much time did Petey need? :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Miller plays all three forward positions. Has decent size and good wheels. A solid complimentary player who can play in all situations.

I'm sure this is just the first of several moves Benning will make in the coming weeks