2019 Draft Summary

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2019 Draft Summary

Post by Cornuck »

RD1 PICK 10 OVERALL 10
Vasily Podkolzin R RUS 6' 1" 196 RUSSIA-2 NEVA ST. PETERSBURG

A skilled winger who plays with an edge. Podkolzin combines his fine hockey sense, puck handling and shooting with an aggressive, in-your-face, type of game. He competes hard, is very difficult to play against and has the tools to be a high scoring player. (EP 2019)
He can bulldoze through a defenseman on his way to the net, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
A force to be reckoned with each time he is on the ice, his explosive skating and speed help him carry the puck with ease, Future Considerations 2019
He takes powerful strides to get up ice and needs only a few steps to reach his top speed, McKeen's Hockey 2019
He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player, Craig Button - TSN 2018
Very strong on the puck.. plays the hard way.. fierce but disciplined.. sound puck management.. possesses an effective move to his forehand, Draftin Europe 2018

RD2 PICK 9 OVERALL 40
Nils Hoglander L SWE 5' 10" 188 SWEDEN ROGLE

Höglander stands out with his exceptional puck skills and hands. Really good stickhandler and he loves getting creative with the puck, scoring spectacular goals at times. Decent skater who accelerates well and works very hard along the boards in the offensive zone. (EP 2019)
There isn’t a more elusive player in this year’s class than Rögle BK forward Nils Höglander, EPrinkside.com 2019
Hoglander is a dynamic winger who contains a high-octane motor. His pucks-skills are up there with the best in this class, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
His playmaking abilities stand out as he finds his teammates with hard and accurate passes, both from short and long range, Future Considerations 2019
Despite his lack of size, he likes to lay the body out on opponents and has been pretty effective in the physical game, McKeen's Hockey 2019

RD4 PICK 29 OVERALL 122
Ethan Keppen L CAN 6' 2" 212 OHL FLINT

He is a high-volume shooter, with many of his shots coming from in close, and in the slot, McKeen's Hockey 2019
His frame and willingness to physically engage made him an impressive forechecker as well, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
He has the hockey sense and playmaking ability to make him a dangerous player offensively, Future Considerations 2019

RD5 PICK 9 OVERALL 133
Carson Focht C CAN 6' 0" 178 WHL Calgary

Strong in almost all areas; what you want to see in a long term prospect. The one significant area he hasn't grown in is scoring ability. It is difficult for me not to believe a team takes a chance that he eventually produces more goals.
[youtube]
yJSZfHeb5KM[/youtube]

RD6 PICK 1 OVERALL 156
Arturs Silovs G LVA 6' 4" 203 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2

2017-18 Latvia U18 WJC-18 D1A 2 1.00 .960
2018-19 Latvia U18 WJC-18 5 3.32 .918

RD6 PICK 20 OVERALL 175
Karel Plasek R CZE 5' 11" 154 CZREP Brno

Czech Republic U18 Hlinka Gretzky Cup 5 2 1 3 2 1

RD6 PICK 25 OVERALL 180
Jack Malone R USA 6' 1" 191 USHL Youngstown

Jack Malone finished the season second in Youngstown Phantoms scoring behind only Brett Murray, who was drafted in 2016 by the Buffalo Sabres, an accomplishment Malone hopes to replicate this weekend at the NHL Draft.

The Cornell University commit registered 59 points (19-40-59) in 57 games this season, culminating in a USHL total 74 points (23-51-74) in 111 games over three seasons with the Phantoms. The Madison, N.J. native recorded up a nine-game point streak (8-9-17) from December 1 to January 15 that included a hat trick (3-1-4) on January 4 against the Sioux City Musketeers. The four-point night was the first of two in the season as he would later pick up a quartet of points (2-2-4) against the Chicago Steel on March 15. Malone was later named the USHL Forward of the Week on January 7 after collecting six points (3-3-6) in a pair of games that week. During his nine-game point streak, five games featured multi-point performances, including four in a row (5-6-11) from January 4 to 12.

Malone went more than two games in a row without a point only twice this season. The forward registered another long point streak, this time seven games (5-6-11), from October 26 to November 16. Malone finished his most productive USHL season sixth in assists (40) and tied for 13th in points (59) among league skaters.

https://twitter.com/ushl/status/1083915630896648192 < Video

RD7 PICK 9 OVERALL 195
Aidan Mcdonough L USA 6' 3" 190 USHL CEDAR RAPIDS

Cedar Rapids RoughRiders USHL 50 21 21 42 49
Going to Northeastern in the fall

RD7 PICK 29 OVERALL 215
Arvid Costmar C SWE 5' 11" 180 SWEDEN-JR. Linkoping Jr.

Sweden U18 “A” Hlinka Gretzky Cup 5 0 1 1 2

-------------------------------------

Great pick at #10 - providing he shows up in 2 years (and that seems very likely) A lot of talent and a kid that will step in to a top 6 role when he gets here. No Dman picked - that's a little worrisome. :/
The 2nd rounder looks good - Per, can you dig up more info? :D

--------------------

The Trades:

J.T Miller > G Marek Mazane / 2019 3rd-Round Pick / 2020 Condition 1st-Round Pick* (If we make the playoffs, otherwise the pick goes to the following year)

Overpayment? At first look it seems so, but we need to hope that Benning has more moves to make. Trading a 1st on a forward when we have glaring needs in the back end? That's my question.

F Francis Perron
/ 2019 7th-Round Pick > F Tom Pyatt / 2019 6th-Round Pick
I'm guessing Benning sees something in Perron to make the move. He's picking up steam in the A, but that doesn't mean anything (see: Vey, Linden)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 Draft Summary

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Pyatt is 32, Perron is 23.

Keeping Utica age compliant..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Great summary Corn, well done. As per usual I like Jimbo’s drafting.

Pods is a bit of a unicorn, could be a big, mean, scoring winger with ultra high compete if he hits his ceiling. Those guys are impossible to find. Swing for the fences with a guy I never thought they would pick, I like it.

Hoglander is one of my favourite guys in the draft - crazy hands. He’s small but built like a tank, definitely not a little guy. I think he could be a good 2nd line winger.

Keppen needs to improve his skating but he’s got some skill and snarl. Similar player to Gadjovich, he will need some time.

I don’t know the rest of the guys so can’t comment but very interesting to go with all forwards. I guess this means Jimbo will offer Myers a huge deal, which is what I’ve been saying for months. I think Myers wants to come here given his BC roots.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:14 pm Pyatt is 32, Perron is 23.

Keeping Utica age compliant..
Problem is Perron needs waivers so might not get to Utica.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Pyatt is a UFA. Perron won't be plucked in September.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Judd Brackett breaking down the team's drafts...
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/draft ... c-68538903
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Diehard1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm Pods is a bit of a unicorn, could be a big, mean, scoring winger with ultra high compete if he hits his ceiling.
This kind of unicorn I hope
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am
Diehard1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm Pods is a bit of a unicorn, could be a big, mean, scoring winger with ultra high compete if he hits his ceiling.
This kind of unicorn I hope
That's the hope - whether he gets there or not is now up to him and the Nucks development team. He'll be a big boost in a couple of years when he gets here.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Thanks for the excellent summary, Corn. :thumbs:

With respect to the draft:

I very much like both the Podkolzin and Hoglander picks.

Podlokin seems well worth the (Russian) risk with his combination of skill, size and aggression. Like many have said, two years is likely what we would have to wait with other prospects anyway and with his playing against men, he should be ready to step right into the NHL when he does come over. For now, I'd give this pick a solid two thumbs way up.

Hoglander also seems very much worth the risk. Even though he is small, sounds and looks as if he still plays a bullish game while having skill in spades. Can't get everything in the second round but this sounds like about as good a gamble as can be made with that level of pick.

The other picks I know very little of but I'll definitely be following their individual progress (or otherwise). I like picking a goaltender to keep skill in that position coming up in the pipeline. On that note, I am pretty surprised that there weren't any D taken. I assume (and hope) this was because they were going for BPA rather than position and felt that the players they chose were that. Still, seems a little odd that not one D man was felt to be BPA in any of the rounds for any of the picks.

On the trades, I won't add my criticisms to this thread as I think my position on them is already pretty clear.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:07 pm The 2nd rounder looks good - Per, can you dig up more info? :D

Already posted about him here: http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 55#p345142
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Can't say I know anything about Costmar, but he has decent numbers in junior, he was on the gold-winning Swedish team at the WJC-18 this past Winter, and that he has played four SHL games already as a 17-yo shows that his team believes in him.

Hopefully he'll make the cut for the WJC this winter, and we'll all have a chance to watch him.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:06 pm . On that note, I am pretty surprised that there weren't any D taken. I assume (and hope) this was because they were going for BPA rather than position and felt that the players they chose were that. Still, seems a little odd that not one D man was felt to be BPA in any of the rounds for any of the picks.
That was a little odd, perhaps it was influenced by the college free agents who've been signed? Teves and Rafferty are also both waivers-exempt, which significantly changes the complexion of the farm team. Last year Sautner and Brisebois were the call ups (after Olli and Chatfield got hurt), this year there will be Olli, Teves, Rafferty, Woo, Eliot, plus Sautner, Chatfield and Brisebois.

That's a much-improved pipeline of talent, if two of the eight develop into NHLers, we are in very good shape. Then there's 5 or so draft picks still overseas or in junior, a hit on one of them will be gravy.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Watch Höglander skate from the penalty box to the bench:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQpsoooguuS/

:look:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I like him already.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Martin Gelinas on ronnie stern right there....1st game after we claimed him off waivers
If you need air...call it in