The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Post by Lancer »

micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 am
Lancer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 pm Not so long ago one of the criticisms of Canuck President Trophy teams was that they padded their point total against teams like Edmonton, Colorado and Calgary. Were they crap teams, or were the Canucks that dominant? Now Vancouver is on the opposite side of the coin.
We are a crap team; we just have some pieces who are giving us hope that the crap team years will soon be over. Nobody should fool themselves into thinking this team can run with the likes of Winnipeg, San Jose, and Nashville, let alone do anything against Eastern Conference contenders. Take the higher draft picks for now.
Boeser was a 23rd 1st round pick.
And of course there is the Edmonton example of finishing very low or last and still not improving.
The point is; You "can be", or "fighting to be", a playoff team and still succeed at the draft table, hence bettering your team.
Yeah, don't confuse me with a tanker. Better for the players to realistically fight for a playoff spot well into March - even if they fall short. As long as management doesn't get rose-coloured glasses because they all of a sudden have a superstar on their roster to go with some other young pieces, and their goalie is starting to come along. This team is not ready to take a posture of imminent contention - far from it. Benning needs more picks in the next couple of drafts and see which prospects bubble up to make this team a contender eventually. One of the big fuck-ups Chiarelli made was putting on his rose-coloured glasses and thinking he had a team on the cusp of contention when he drafted McDavid.

Is it me, or are the injuries to Demko, Markstrom, Baertschi and Sutter a little eerily well-timed in order to keep the team from getting on a roll and snagging a wildcard spot?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Even the best of the best would have a difficult time with this over the wall schedule the league was so especially kind handing us
this campaign. Said to be #1 most horrendous in team history!
But your right, the injuries right now are akin to a lightning bolt striking the same spot>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>again. :(
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 pm Not so long ago one of the criticisms of Canuck President Trophy teams was that they padded their point total against teams like Edmonton, Colorado and Calgary. Were they crap teams, or were the Canucks that dominant? Now Vancouver is on the opposite side of the coin.
The President Trophies era was a mirage, the first round shit show ass kickings proved that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 pm
We are a crap team; we just have some pieces who are giving us hope that the crap team years will soon be over. Nobody should fool themselves into thinking this team can run with the likes of Winnipeg, San Jose, and Nashville, let alone do anything against Eastern Conference contenders. Take the higher draft picks for now.
We are still building. The Sharks are on the opposite spectrum as us. We have depth developing, their time of cooking isn’t over. The Sharks have the worst prospect pool in the NHL but unlike Mike Gillis, they’ve been able to find good young pieces to compliment the old guys while still being competitive. Benning knows how to find good players outside the lottery zone it’s just that Benning inherited a mess. The biggest issue is the local media and their followers thinks you can fix a disaster like the Canucks were over night. Patience grasshopper
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:30 am The biggest issue is the local media and their followers thinks you can fix a disaster like the Canucks were over night. Patience grasshopper
The only thing I have ever complained about with respect to timeline is that none has ever been offered. I fully expected it to take a while to re-build, which was why I wanted the official rebuild to start sooner.

While some of the free agent signings have not inspired confidence that Benning can manage a cap, the bigger concern has been that the asset-management strategies and policies displayed so far will fail to yield the necessary concentration of talent with respect to time when the re-build is complete and the Canucks are competitive again. The second consecutive Stanley Cup that the Canucks win in your promised dynasty will decisively refute that position.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

I don't think anyone here would have imagined this horrendous PP (7% over the last what? 25 games?),

I wonder if Green has ever thought about playing Pettersson at the point? I think he can master that and actually be the QB we need
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 am
The President Trophies era was a mirage, the first round shit show ass kickings proved that.
I say going all the way to game seven of the SCF shows it wasn't.

And if the zebras hadn't swallowed their whistles we would have won! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:48 am I wonder if Green has ever thought about playing Pettersson at the point? I think he can master that and actually be the QB we need
Of course he can. He has already shown he can play any positiuon, including goaltending.

There's virtually nothing he cannot do:
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23265283
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock ... says-hmm/
An Edmonton perspective on a Lucic for Eriksson swap.

Not sure whether traditing one albatross of a contract for another longer contract is a solid strategy but with some "sweetner" it might be a worthwhile endeavour.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Decent article on Jet Woo: https://thecanuckway.com/2019/06/09/v ... -jett-woo/

If this guy is anywhere close to accurate in his prediction for Woo, we got another steal.

Article in a nutshell: "I believe that after the season he had, he can be a major offensive contributor on an NHL blue line. In fact, I see a lot of Shea Weber in him, who was also not a first round pick. Comparing point totals in their draft plus one years, Woo had more points then Weber (18 in 2002-03 with the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL). It’s not a surprise that Woo models his game after Weber, because he definitely plays a lot like him."
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:29 pm https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock ... says-hmm/
An Edmonton perspective on a Lucic for Eriksson swap.

Not sure whether traditing one albatross of a contract for another longer contract is a solid strategy but with some "sweetner" it might be a worthwhile endeavour.
One of the commentors said "I don't like the idea of trading Lucic to a divisional rival which, of course, includes Vancouver. He has a high intimidation factor, and I don't like the idea of him intimidating the Oilers on a regular basis. Trade him to some team out East if you can. "

Pretty funny, considering how bad Looch's contract is. About the only thing that he intimidates is a capologist who might have to deal with his contract. It has taken us 3 years to get rid of Megma, Chaput and Gaunce. Don't go destroying the good work by bringing Looch here.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 am
.. so is Tampa's Pres Trophie a mirage as well??

Perhaps it's a bigger, better mirage because they were swept??

:lol: :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think its 2 distinctly different games that look similar. Like bandy and hockey
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rank all of Mike Gillis 1st and 2nd round picks best to worst

My list

1. Horvat (traded Schneider for him)
2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:23 pm Rank all of Mike Gillis 1st and 2nd round picks best to worst

My list

1. Horvat (traded Schneider for him)
2. Hodgson
3. Connauton
4. Gaunce
5. Jensen
6. Schroeder
7. Rodin
8. Shinkaruk
9. Mallet
10. Sauve
Why back in my day a GM that drafted like that would be horsewhipped!

HORSEWHIPPED I SAY!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.