Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 pm Murphy was saying yesterday that trade protection wasn’t the issue with the Edler camp. Their issue is term. He didn’t speculate as to how far apart the two are in term but sounds like cap and trade protection can be worked out.
In that case give him 3 years if we must.

We can always buy out that 3rd year if necessary.
I’d be ok with that. But I got the impression he wants 4-5, probably settle with 4. I’d give him a full NTC first two years and modified after that. I just think Benning is counting on Hughes, Juolevi and Trymankin to be patrolling the left side in 2-3 years. That’s sounds about right which means no room for Edler at that point.
This is what I think as well, I think they’ve gotten a firm commitment from tyramkin and his agent for end of next season. 2 years allows for joulevi to figure it out, and no trade or limited trade protection gives them options in that 2nd year if needed.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 pm Murphy was saying yesterday that trade protection wasn’t the issue with the Edler camp. Their issue is term. He didn’t speculate as to how far apart the two are in term but sounds like cap and trade protection can be worked out.

I’d be ok with that. But I got the impression he wants 4-5, probably settle with 4. I’d give him a full NTC first two years and modified after that. I just think Benning is counting on Hughes, Juolevi and Trymankin to be patrolling the left side in 2-3 years. That’s sounds about right which means no room for Edler at that point.
Hilarious that they will give 33 year old Beagle a four year deal but not 33 year old Edler. If the NMC isn’t an issue it should be a no brainer
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Hilarious that they will give 33 year old Beagle a four year deal but not 33 year old Edler. If the NMC isn’t an issue it should be a no brainer
The Beagle contract is a ball scratcher. But I think it had more to do with Vancouver at the time not being a desirable destination, hence the overpayment but that has changed now that Pettersson and Hughes have arrived, thank gawd Jimbro didn’t listen to Blobbee and draft Cody Glass
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

4 years is not a problem.

Banking on a firm anything from Tree is a bad bet. But, he prefers playing the right side.....at least that was the case when he first showed up here. Our blue line has Tanev, Stecher, and maybe Schenn, currently. Woo is 2 years away. After that nobody.

Give him the term, because if protection isn’t the issue then you expose him in 2 years and hope he’s taken or you trade him yourself after the expansion draft.

I just don’t see how protection is not the issue because of protection is not required then term shouldn’t matter too much at all to the Canucks.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:06 pm

The Beagle contract is a ball scratcher. But I think it had more to do with Vancouver at the time not being a desirable destination, hence the overpayment but that has changed now that Pettersson and Hughes have arrived, thank gawd Jimbro didn’t listen to Blobbee and draft Cody Glass
You do realize Glass just had the second best playoffs in AHL history by a player under 20 right? He’s as good a bet tobe a point a game centre as there is in the prospect world. Yep I’d take Petey at this point and by a fair margin, but Glass is a hell of a prospect.

The Beagle deal sucked at the time and still sucks now. So do the Eriksson, Gagner, and Schaller deals. FA signings are not Jimbo’s strong suit.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 pm 4 years is not a problem.

Banking on a firm anything from Tree is a bad bet. But, he prefers playing the right side.....at least that was the case when he first showed up here. Our blue line has Tanev, Stecher, and maybe Schenn, currently. Woo is 2 years away. After that nobody.

Give him the term, because if protection isn’t the issue then you expose him in 2 years and hope he’s taken or you trade him yourself after the expansion draft.

I just don’t see how protection is not the issue because of protection is not required then term shouldn’t matter too much at all to the Canucks.
4 years is absolutely a problem - you simply do not give team like that to aging players, almost without exception (guys like Crosby, Ovi, etc are the exception). Edler has been slow for years and he’s not going to get any faster, even if he’s good at positioning to somewhat minimize his speed issues. He’s also coming off easily his best season in years, who is to say he doesn’t go back to how he was a couple of years ago? There’s just no reason to give in to Edler’s demands aside from sentimentality, and that’s a horrible reason in sports.

It’s not hard to sign a guy like Stralman, Chiarot, Jordie Benn or Methot to a shorter term deal at similar or less money and get the same results, especially given Edler is lucky to get in 60 games a year. If you can get Gardiner he’s a big step up. There’s also plenty of guys available in trades that would be good fits here.

Really we don’t need a guy who does everything a Edler does given Hughes is here - he’s already better offensively than Edler is, so really just need somebody to take the tough defensive assignments. That’s not easy to find but not as difficult as finding an offensive guy, really we are looking for a #3 guy not a low end #1.

All this said, for the right term and dollars I’m definitely happy with Edler back. That’s just not 4 years, and if he doesn’t like it he can be replaced. My guess is he’s playing a game of chicken with the team but I guess we will see. Good on Jimbo for playing hardball on this one.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 pm

You do realize Glass just had the second best playoffs in AHL history by a player under 20 right? He’s as good a bet tobe a point a game centre as there is in the prospect world.
When you have the Swedish Gretzky dominating as a rookie in the NHL Generational Style and about to win the Calder I couldnt give a flying fuck about some AHL’er named Glass, no offence

Benning! Win!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 pm
4 years is absolutely a problem - you simply do not give team like that to aging players, almost without exception (guys like Crosby, Ovi, etc are the exception). Edler has been slow for years and he’s not going to get any faster, even if he’s good at positioning to somewhat minimize his speed issues. He’s also coming off easily his best season in years, who is to say he doesn’t go back to how he was a couple of years ago? There’s just no reason to give in to Edler’s demands aside from sentimentality, and that’s a horrible reason in sports.
The voice of reason. +1

Edler had a great Edler year, particularly in the second half. Recent memories are the most vivid, (or freshest in one's mind), would
maybe be better,
Alex Edler has also given us years of angst as well. It wasn't so long ago he was falling when turning around to skate backwards
because of his repaired back issues flaring up.
It was a great find by Thomas Gradin in a second tier Swedish league that had been overlooked.
It would be great to sign and trade but that is not going to happen.
For me, I cannot justify giving him more than 2 years at JUST marginally more than his current pay. It's not harsh, it's business.
Think of the current Ryan Kesler conundrum. That could and probably would happen.
We know Edler's history. No sense making Zdeno Chára comparisons just to justify doing something because we're in a bit of a
defensive pickle at the moment, (maybe). There will be options. Maybe Gardiner, Collin Miller or any number of possibilities.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

EK eight years at 11.5 million per. Stays put with the Sharks.

Makes him the third best paid player of the NHL behind McDavid and Matthews.

Not surprised at the cap hit, but the term? Damn! :shock:
I mean, he's 29 already. That takes him to 37.

Guess we were never really in that race. :(
Last edited by Per on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I'd do 4 years on Edler, but at a significantly reduced cap hit - like $4.5. You just can't commit money to a constantly-injured player.

It's nothing like Beagle, who makes league average salary.

Gardiner putting off back surgery is not comforting either. He could pull a Bertuzzi and opt got it as soon as his new deal is signed.

I'm in favor of Gardiner and Myers, but I wouldn't give either of them 7 years. Hopefully more like 4-5.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 pm

You do realize Glass just had the second best playoffs in AHL history by a player under 20 right? He’s as good a bet tobe a point a game centre as there is in the prospect world. Yep I’d take Petey at this point and by a fair margin, but Glass is a hell of a prospect.

The Beagle deal sucked at the time and still sucks now. So do the Eriksson, Gagner, and Schaller deals. FA signings are not Jimbo’s strong suit.
DH go read his draft rankings in the 2017 draft thread right before the draft. HE had both Vilardi and Glass ahead of Petterson but yet apparently it was only me. Then again he flip flopped a hundred times just so he could later cover his ass.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It doesn’t matter who I liked, it matters that Benning drafted the Swedish Gretzky.

Win! Benning!

I only bring up Blobbee liking Glass/Vilardi instead of Petey because of Blobbees anger at Benning over not drafting the Turtle
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 am It doesn’t matter who I liked, it matters that Benning drafted the Swedish Gretzky.

Win! Benning!

I only bring up Blobbee liking Glass/Vilardi instead of Petey because of Blobbees anger at Benning over not drafting the Turtle
Yeah K. I guess you feel the need to derail every single thread with this drivel or bring up Gillis because he’s so relevant to anything going on today.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 am
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:49 am It doesn’t matter who I liked, it matters that Benning drafted the Swedish Gretzky.

Win! Benning!

Yeah K. I guess you feel the need to derail every single thread with this drivel or bring up Gillis because he’s so relevant to anything going on today.
I bring up the Players Agent for two reasons 1) he’s been out of the game for 6 years and I worry the league is forgetting his brilliance 2) the NTC’s he handed out like candy full term that still haunt us, i.e. - Edler not waiving a trade to Calgary for Kylington and a 3rd round pick

Benning modifies the last 2 years of contracts to vets (see Sutter/Eriksson contracts) or gives out no NTC’s to middling players like Gudbranson/Sbisa unlike Gillis giving full NTC’s to your Garrisons/Higgins
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This Frankenstein collection of players is Elmer’s doing. Other than the team’s best goalie, current three best d men and second best forward. It’s his baby. There’s no more Gillis contracts. Time to get over Mike Gillis insulting you at the leg press machine my friend.