2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 am How many take on bad contracts deals happen every year? You numbnuts talk like this is a regular occurrence, it’s not (maybe one or two per year). Than when the rumours of us doing just that (Lucic, zaitsev) people have hissy fits. Cap space does not matter near as much during a rebuild and you still have to ice a team that’s competitive otherwise you get the Buffalo edmonton loser mentality. Guys like beagle, Sutter, don’t move the needle much but they at least compete hard and help the young guys get acclimatized to the nhl.
That statement contradicts itself.

I would agree with the first part, that cap space doesn't matter during a rebuild, but only insofar as it applies to the first phase of a rebuild. The first phase is where you shed bloat and aging assets that will not be part of the new roster when it's time to win, but will be of benefit to a team that is in win now mode. So you can take on bad contracts and say to hell with cap space because you are charging more to take on the deadweight so you can acquire the chips you need for the future.

There is also a time to be dealing out players who other teams will take a chance on in terms of health or need of a change of scenery.

The Canucks are not in phase one anymore, and they should be looking to emerge from middle phase soon. The rebuild has gone long enough now that cap space is starting to matter. Horvat is now 24, if we continue along the trajectory we are on he will be closing in on 30 before we are even close to being a team that people might peg as having a chance to contend for even the conference finals. We've had some vets who can teach work ethic, now it's time for a few of the guys, like Bo, to take on that role and start surrounding the young, emerging, core with players who help them win, while providing cap space that will permit contract extensions as well as strong new additions.

Tanev fits the mold of quality vet who could help a "win now" team and also return a worthwhile future asset for the Canucks.

Baertschi is a guy who another GM choose to ignore his previous health issues and risk a pick and/or prospect on in order to fill a 2nd/3rd line role where the hope is that some secondary scoring might come from further down the lineup than otherwise expected.

Eriksson, Sutter, and Spooner, are the players currently on the roster who are taking up far more cap value than what they actually bring to the team.

When a team like Vancouver misses out on the playoffs by as much as they did this past season, and the fall from challenging can be attributed to an incredible rash of injuries to key players so late in the season, it means the time has come to add talent that helps you win. If you are unable to do that because of current underachieving players have contracts sucking up cap space and are difficult to move, then you have reached the point where cap space matters to the rebuild.

We are there this summer.

I'm not saying that Benning won't be able to move some of these guys, but it might cost more to do it than some of us are comfortable with.

I'm also not faulting Benning for signing Eriksson for $6M. He was a 30 goal scorer and should not have been such a disappointment here. Shit happens.

I do think signing Gagner was an unnecessary risk simply because he went more than 2 years on a player that did not warrant that kind of commitment for what he would bring to the table. The resulting trade for Spooner was a lateral move that was risk free simply because both guys were playing like crap.

Sutter was a mediocre (at best) trade, and a poor extension signing. Considering that it was 3 years ago Sutter was not worth 5 years at that price tag. Right now a 3rd line, defensive, face-off winning, pivot who had only scored 40 points once, and with 2 exceptions was a 15 goal, 30 point, scorer, might be worth $4M. That player was not worth that kind of cash and commitment 3 years ago.

This draft, and off-season, Benning needs to do well.
Nothing in here that I outright disagree with, my competitive comment refers to in game not overall record. Losing by 1 or 2 is a lot better than by 3 or 4. Gagner was signed as insurance for when the sedins retired and petey not being ready. Not many people figured petey would step in like he did. This summer, this year and next summer are very important. Unloading Eriksson would be a big step. I think Sutter is more important to the team than you think (if he can return to form). Him playing on the wing will give the team added depth.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:59 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm Gaudette is already as effective as Sutter. Losing a Sutter or a Beagle isn’t going to tip the balance in a season.
No they are not gonna bring us to the promised land to plan the parade on Georgia street, but they'll help keep us in the game to ultimately help reach the playoffs, center depth is pretty vital.
Yes but Sutter and Beagle are bottom end bottom line players. Hand the third line reins to Gaudette and rip the fucking bandaid off. Trade Sutter if you can hoodwink a team into giving you anything for him. I just want the salary gone. Mëds is correct. This team needs to start turfing the bloated bottom end guys.
Sutter has averaged close to 18 minutes per game over the last 4 years.

"bottom end bottom line player" :lol: :lol: :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm Gaudette is already as effective as Sutter. Losing a Sutter or a Beagle isn’t going to tip the balance in a season.
No they are not gonna bring us to the promised land to plan the parade on Georgia street, but they'll help keep us in the game to ultimately help reach the playoffs, center depth is pretty vital.
Yes but Sutter and Beagle are bottom end bottom line players. Hand the third line reins to Gaudette and rip the fucking bandaid off. Trade Sutter if you can hoodwink a team into giving you anything for him. I just want the salary gone. Mëds is correct. This team needs to start turfing the bloated bottom end guys.
Who are you replacing with that salary? And don’t pull the bs weaponize cap space nonsense.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm Who are you replacing with that salary? And don’t pull the bs weaponize cap space nonsense.
Exactly, some of these chicken-littles seem to think we're desperate for cap space...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm
Who are you replacing with that salary? And don’t pull the bs weaponize cap space nonsense.
Kick the tires in Tampa. See if they want to move out a good player for a prospect or a pick that isn’t lighting it up. I’m of the opinion that this team can make the playoffs in 2021 if they manage the roster properly. Spending 19 million on four 4th line scrubs is silly. Clear out the deadweight ASAP. Flesh that shit out. Sutter, Sooner, Louis, Beagle could be replaced by four equal players for 6 million
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

What's the point havin a gun if there aint nothin to shoot at?
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm Nothing in here that I outright disagree with, my competitive comment refers to in game not overall record. Losing by 1 or 2 is a lot better than by 3 or 4. Gagner was signed as insurance for when the sedins retired and petey not being ready. Not many people figured petey would step in like he did. This summer, this year and next summer are very important. Unloading Eriksson would be a big step. I think Sutter is more important to the team than you think (if he can return to form). Him playing on the wing will give the team added depth.
If the plan is to move Sutter to the wing, then Baertschi and Loui gotta go. He's still over priced as a winger, but whatever.

Benning shit the bed on his extension. Sutter just was never worth $4+M AND any kind of trade protection.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm Who are you replacing with that salary? And don’t pull the bs weaponize cap space nonsense.
Kick the tires in Tampa. See if they want to move out a good player for a prospect or a pick that isn’t lighting it up. I’m of the opinion that this team can make the playoffs in 2021 if they manage the roster properly. Spending 19 million on four 4th line scrubs is silly. Clear out the deadweight ASAP. Flesh that shit out. Sutter, Sooner, Louis, Beagle could be replaced by four equal players for 6 million
And who on Tampa is gonna waive to go to vancouver?? This is the bs I’m talking about.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm If the plan is to move Sutter to the wing, then Baertschi and Loui gotta go. He's still over priced as a winger, but whatever.

Benning shit the bed on his extension. Sutter just was never worth $4+M AND any kind of trade protection.
Unfortunately I think Baertschi is gone, but not as a trade, he’ll be concussed early and sit out on ltir
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 pm Kick the tires in Tampa. See if they want to move out a good player for a prospect or a pick that isn’t lighting it up. I’m of the opinion that this team can make the playoffs in 2021 if they manage the roster properly. Spending 19 million on four 4th line scrubs is silly. Clear out the deadweight ASAP. Flesh that shit out. Sutter, Sooner, Louis, Beagle could be replaced by four equal players for 6 million
I disagree on Beagle. He's probably a $2M guy considering how good he is at the dot and his grind game. He got a payday because he had just put a ring on his finger. Spooner and Loui could be replaced by two guys making $4M, and Sutter by a guy making $2.5M. I'd prefer seeing someone actually worth Sutter's salary in that 3C spot though.

Eriksson, Spooner, Sutter, and Baertschi, out. Panarin or Duchene in.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Unfortunately I think Baertschi is gone, but not as a trade, he’ll be concussed early and sit out on ltir
Ya, your onto something there. Now he is worth something. Prudent to try and make a trade soon.
Funny, last year, near the end, Trav said he's good to go, he's fine, but Baer was hesitant.
He has a confidence problem and is scared. You could tell.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:56 pm And who on Tampa is gonna waive to go to vancouver?? This is the bs I’m talking about.
It’s not BS. You and the other guzzlers have already said teams get players to waive ntc/nmc all the time but not now. How convenient... enjoy your sperm shake
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:56 pm And who on Tampa is gonna waive to go to vancouver?? This is the bs I’m talking about.
It’s not BS. You and the other guzzlers have already said teams get players to waive ntc/nmc all the time but not now. How convenient... enjoy your sperm shake
It’s wishful thinking on your part. There are lots of other teams that would take those players especially on the east coast, those guys are not gonna waive to a Canadian west coast team. We didn’t get Edler to waive his, Louie might if he’s threatened with waivers, but I doubt he waives for the entire league.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:13 pm
It’s wishful thinking on your part. There are lots of other teams that would take those players especially on the east coast, those guys are not gonna waive to a Canadian west coast team. We didn’t get Edler to waive his, Louie might if he’s threatened with waivers, but I doubt he waives for the entire league.
He'd probably waive for most American teams and anywhere east of Manitoba.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Gaudette may one day become as effective as Sutter, but he is not there yet. This is why I put out the idea of Sutter on Gaudette's wing or visa versa based upon the situation. face offs and defensive play, Gaudette is still learning.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.