Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:33 am

:lol:
Tciso wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:42 am
Strangelove wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:44 am
Tciso wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Does Wids have an extra chromosome?
No Blobbie. It just appears that way because so many posters here are missing at least one chromosome.
OUCH... you gonna sit there and take that Blobbie! :lol:
How do you know I am not including you in that group, Doc? :lol:
Lol
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9123
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by micky107 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 am

2014 Redraft; Tough freakin crowd!

https://www.nhl.com/news/revisiting-the ... -307746004

Image
"evolution"

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15114
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 am

micky107 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 am
2014 Redraft; Tough freakin crowd!

https://www.nhl.com/news/revisiting-the ... -307746004

Image
Boi ole Boiiii, Blobbees Sam Bennett and Nick Ritchie barely hanging on in the 1st round

They ranked Ekblad too high
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am

Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by theman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
Always wished we kept McCann instead of him in that trade.

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 am

theman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
Always wished we kept McCann instead of him in that trade.
I’m not sure it was an either or for Florida. I think McCann is going to play well in Pittsburgh.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by theman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 am
theman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:14 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
Always wished we kept McCann instead of him in that trade.
I’m not sure it was an either or for Florida. I think McCann is going to play well in Pittsburgh.
Have read that the Canucks gave Florida the choice between the 2.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 10841
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am

theman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
Have read that the Canucks gave Florida the choice between the 2.
Florida targeted 5 different players on 5 teams for Guddy.

In the end this trade was a disaster for both teams.

Gudbranson was Florida's unheralded future captain, was their leader, a defensive machine there, the fans loved him, the team was energized by him, Luongo and Mitchell were shocked and pissed he was dealt, Gudbranson was the Panthers heart and soul that was ripped out by the new analytics darlings there.

And the Panthers already had a healthy depth of centers, so it's a head scratcher, McCann was sent to the AHL...& eventually was traded again with him and Nick Bjugstad to the Pens for Brassard, Sheahan, a 2nd and two 4ths.

While Gudbranson was attacked relentlessly here by the Vancouver media, canucks bloggers/writers and analytics folks who hated him mostly because of the cost to acquire him, his salary, didn't score & was not fast. Even though he was injured quite a bit.

I always thought he'd fit in well on a slower big team, like the 2012, 2014 LA Kings squad, a big grinder team, with a methodical defense - boxing out opposing forwards, coached by none other than Sutter and Stevens.

It's kind of funny now both Gudbranson and McCann are now a part of the Pens.

In the end Guddy was dealt for Tanner Pearson, who played on fire beside Horvat.
Pearson has been fantastic in Vancouver, tallying eight goals and 11 points in 18 games, and finding a home in the top-six alongside Bo Horvat.

That’s a 36-goal pace over 82 games. While it’s unlikely that he keeps that pace up next season, it still looks like Pearson could be part of the answer for the Canucks’ secondary scoring woes.

So, what changed? It’s likely a combination of factors. There’s the fractured thumb that he played through for a month in Pittsburgh that required painkillers before every game. Perhaps there was a lack of patience for a player going through a slump on a Pittsburgh team angling for a Stanley Cup. Then there’s the question of chemistry: maybe Pearson is just a better fit for Bo Horvat’s straight-ahead, north-south style of play.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23782725
Pearson who seemed like he lost it totally rebounded with a fresh change of scenery....so maybe Lucic can do the same!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm

SKYO wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am
theman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 am
Shockingly Jake Virtanen didn’t make the cut
Have read that the Canucks gave Florida the choice between the 2.
Florida targeted 5 different players on 5 teams for Guddy.

In the end this trade was a disaster for both teams.

Gudbranson was Florida's unheralded future captain, was their leader, a defensive machine there, the fans loved him, the team was energized by him, Luongo and Mitchell were shocked and pissed he was dealt, Gudbranson was the Panthers heart and soul that was ripped out by the new analytics darlings there.

And the Panthers already had a healthy depth of centers, so it's a head scratcher, McCann was sent to the AHL...& eventually was traded again with him and Nick Bjugstad to the Pens for Brassard, Sheahan, a 2nd and two 4ths.

While Gudbranson was attacked relentlessly here by the Vancouver media, canucks bloggers/writers and analytics folks who hated him mostly because of the cost to acquire him, his salary, didn't score & was not fast. Even though he was injured quite a bit.

I always thought he'd fit in well on a slower big team, like the 2012, 2014 LA Kings squad, a big grinder team, with a methodical defense - boxing out opposing forwards, coached by none other than Sutter and Stevens.

It's kind of funny now both Gudbranson and McCann are now a part of the Pens.

In the end Guddy was dealt for Tanner Pearson, who played on fire beside Horvat.
Pearson has been fantastic in Vancouver, tallying eight goals and 11 points in 18 games, and finding a home in the top-six alongside Bo Horvat.

That’s a 36-goal pace over 82 games. While it’s unlikely that he keeps that pace up next season, it still looks like Pearson could be part of the answer for the Canucks’ secondary scoring woes.

So, what changed? It’s likely a combination of factors. There’s the fractured thumb that he played through for a month in Pittsburgh that required painkillers before every game. Perhaps there was a lack of patience for a player going through a slump on a Pittsburgh team angling for a Stanley Cup. Then there’s the question of chemistry: maybe Pearson is just a better fit for Bo Horvat’s straight-ahead, north-south style of play.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23782725
Pearson who seemed like he lost it totally rebounded with a fresh change of scenery....so maybe Lucic can do the same!
It wasn’t a disaster for Florida. They rid themselves of a poor player who was about to become expensive. What they did with the assets that Vancouver gifted them however ..... had they hung onto McCann and made a good draft pick they could easily have two top six forwards (McCann and Debrincat) or a top six forward and a top 4 d man (McCann and Girard). Keep in mind Vancouver could have had those assets....
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm


It wasn’t a disaster for Florida. They rid themselves of a poor player who was about to become expensive.

Let me know when Gudbranson gets expensive, its only been, what, 3 years, but I guess you're right its bound to happen...
What they did with the assets that Vancouver gifted them however ..... had they hung onto McCann and made a good draft pick they could easily have two top six forwards (McCann and Debrincat)
Let me know when McCann becomes a top-6 forward. So far he's been Pitt's 4th line center and designated empty-net scorer, and a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm

ESQ wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm


It wasn’t a disaster for Florida. They rid themselves of a poor player who was about to become expensive.

Let me know when Gudbranson gets expensive, its only been, what, 3 years, but I guess you're right its bound to happen...
What they did with the assets that Vancouver gifted them however ..... had they hung onto McCann and made a good draft pick they could easily have two top six forwards (McCann and Debrincat)
Let me know when McCann becomes a top-6 forward. So far he's been Pitt's 4th line center and designated empty-net scorer, and a healthy scratch in the playoffs.
4 million is expensive for a bottom pairing D man


McCann played the wing a fair bit in the top 6 in Pitt.

He’d definitely be a top six guy here on the wing.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 10841
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm
It wasn’t a disaster for Florida. They rid themselves of a poor player who was about to become expensive. What they did with the assets that Vancouver gifted them however ..... had they hung onto McCann and made a good draft pick they could easily have two top six forwards (McCann and Debrincat) or a top six forward and a top 4 d man (McCann and Girard). Keep in mind Vancouver could have had those assets....
I agree though it was a horrendous trade on our part, absolute trash, I liked it at the time as he was a 3rd overall pick 6'5-217lbs right shot beast who still had some upside at 24yrs of age, but it wasn't to be....

Either way both teams are still out of the playoffs, but it looks like Florida will go all out signing both Panarin and Bobrovsky which should get em into the playoffs next year.



Luke Schenn is proving to be a tough gem at a much cheaper cost, hope we re-sign him a year or two to protect Hughes.
Four months after clearing waivers and two months after the Canucks acquired him from the Ducks and sent Schenn to their own minor-league team in Utica, N.Y., the defenceman who had looked like one of the NHL’s dying dinosaurs shepherded Hughes through his first game.

After the rookie from the University of Michigan spectacularly beat veteran Trevor Lewis behind the Los Angeles net to create a scoring chance that ended with a debut assist on Brock Boeser’s second-period goal, Schenn ignored the celebration and instead confronted Lewis, who had knocked down Hughes at the end of the play.

Soon Schenn seemed to be confronting the entire L.A. lineup and at one point had two Kings pinned to the ice behind the net
while goalie Jonathan Quick squirted water on him.

Apparently, Schenn is not going quietly from the NHL. The 2008 fifth-overall draft pick from Saskatoon and the Kelowna Rockets – Vancouver grabbed Hughes with the seventh pick last June – is refusing to leave Canucks coach Travis Green’s lineup.

He has played in seven straight games, and 14 of 16 since finally getting the chance to dress after a Feb. 15 recall from the AHL amid an injury crisis. On Thursday, Schenn logged 17:33 of ice time on a third pairing with Hughes. Four days earlier against Columbus, Schenn set a Canucks record with 12 hits in one game.

He is averaging 4.6 hits per game with Vancouver. The only NHL player who has been more prolifically physical this season is Vegas Golden Knights forward William Carrier, who averages five hits per game. But in Las Vegas, the stats crew splashes hits like nickel poker chips.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can ... portunity/
Homie earned his dough.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 15508
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:19 pm

SKYO I liked the trade at the time too and said as much. I said it was a steep price but I liked the attributes Gudbranson seemed to possess. I think he would have been a legit 2nd pairing guy 20 years ago but the game has passed him by. He can’t keep up and he handles the puck like a grenade. He’s no better at hockey than Luke Schenn or Roman Polak. He’s just a much better fighter wth a much higher cap hit.

I agree Schenn should be brought back. No brainer for me.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Richardstroker69 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:19 pm
SKYO I liked the trade at the time too and said as much. I said it was a steep price but I liked the attributes Gudbranson seemed to possess. I think he would have been a legit 2nd pairing guy 20 years ago but the game has passed him by. He can’t keep up and he handles the puck like a grenade. He’s no better at hockey than Luke Schenn or Roman Polak. He’s just a much better fighter wth a much higher cap hit.

I agree Schenn should be brought back. No brainer for me.
Guddy never found his footing here. Whereas schenn came in and was putting passes on the tape, hitting and sticking up for Hughes and petey. Schenn is slower and can’t fight like guddy but is more positionally sound and has a better more accurate pass. Hope he’s re-signed.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8120
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by The Brown Wizard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Gudbarnson is smiling friendly giant type. He doesnt really want to piss anyone off and probably lives a fuckin wicked lifestyle. I'd be like that too...cruising around in a huge motorhome smoking 10 gram bowls every hour laughing at everything.

Hes all "you mad bro...?" while planning on how to party in ibiza mid season and not get fired
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Post Reply