2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Schaller - 1.9
Sutter- 4.35
Spooner- 4.0
Eriksson- 6.0

16.25 million for that pile of pus.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If we get another 2nd rounder via a Tanev trade, I'd take a gander at Matvei Guskov.

At #40 I'd take a faller from the 1st, but this is where you really need to get a dman ideally, like we got with Woo last year.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/06/11 ... ng-report/

6'2 185lb center/winger GUSKOV a good distributor of the puck first & has a decent shot-gets most goals around the net, skilled, good skater, solid two-way checker skills & plays a gritty game (traits Green love)

Needs to improve the usual, strength, speed a bit, faceoffs and his shot.

Just he's stuck behind a deep London team with prospect "vets" ahead of him, notably Liam Foudy and Connor McMichael.

But London is a great program to develop players and Guskov could be a sneaky good pick as he's not getting any special teams to score yet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am
Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am If Sutter is a RW on Gaudette's 3rd line that's better than playing as a C on the 3rd line, he's at least serviceable there. If that's the case though, somebody else has to go:

LW - Spooner, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Schaller, Goldy
RW - Brock, Jake, Motte, Sutter, MacEwan, Granlund
I'm convinced they will buy out Spooner.

If they can't find a trade partner for Schaller, he ends up in Utica next year I figure.

(just $875K on the cap and a capable 4th line injury replacement callup)

Roussel is out til Nov, when he returns they can decide on who to trade/waive (Leivo/Goldie?)

(of course it's entirely possible Baer is injured by then and we keep both)

I don't see Granlund returning and I do see MacEwan starting with the Comets.
That's actually a good option on Spooner. It'll only cost $1.333M for this year and next.

Buying out Schaller shouldn't be ruled out (unless there's a limit on how many players can be bought out). It would free up $1M this year, and only cost $400K next year.....which with annual cap increases that we see would be a total wash.

$5.9M becoming $2.333M this year and $1.75M next year is very palatable.

Especially when we dump Sutter's overpaid dead weight.
Schaller could be a good option for Utica though, it’s important to have good veteran guys that can play in the ahl. I don’t think schaller is the type of guy that would pout about it either. He knows he’s a borderline guy.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 pm
Schaller could be a good option for Utica though, it’s important to have good veteran guys that can play in the ahl. I don’t think schaller is the type of guy that would pout about it either. He knows he’s a borderline guy.
Ya same with Spoons. I don't see any reason to buyout guys with one year left, unless Benning really is going all-out on Panarin and EK and needs the cap space.

They will both clear waivers, they will both be an asset to Utica, and they will both likely wind up getting called up when the injury devastation hits.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am If Sutter is a RW on Gaudette's 3rd line that's better than playing as a C on the 3rd line, he's at least serviceable there. If that's the case though, somebody else has to go:

If they can't find a trade partner for Schaller, he ends up in Utica next year I figure.

Roussel is out til Nov, when he returns they can decide on who to trade/waive (Leivo/Goldie?)

I tend to agree with most of these:

Spooner I think they allow to come to camp and see what happens. If he sucks he goes on waivers, and if no takers to Utica. 1 year left and no cap crunch so doubt they buy him out

Schaller I agree

Roussel is out for a bit yep, but he'll still play 3/4's of the season hopefully so need to make room for him. They could trade later on but it might make more sense to get something for a player now if they offer is there

Baertschi should be on the team assuming he's healthy, which is no sure thing with him

Granlund who knows - I think it's a coin flip depending on what happens with FA

MacEwen is likely on the Comets though I think he's earned at least a very long look in camp
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm Schaller - 1.9
Sutter- 4.35
Spooner- 4.0
Eriksson- 6.0

16.25 million for that pile of pus.
Yep but it's now a sunk cost, so need to figure out the best way to get out of these deals. Hopefully Jimbo doesn't sign any new bad deals this offseason.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm If we get another 2nd rounder via a Tanev trade, I'd take a gander at Matvei Guskov.

At #40 I'd take a faller from the 1st, but this is where you really need to get a dman ideally, like we got with Woo last year.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/06/11 ... ng-report/

6'2 185lb center/winger GUSKOV a good distributor of the puck first & has a decent shot-gets most goals around the net, skilled, good skater, solid two-way checker skills & plays a gritty game (traits Green love)

Needs to improve the usual, strength, speed a bit, faceoffs and his shot.

Just he's stuck behind a deep London team with prospect "vets" ahead of him, notably Liam Foudy and Connor McMichael.

But London is a great program to develop players and Guskov could be a sneaky good pick as he's not getting any special teams to score yet.
Personally I'd go with a forward at #10 as that's likely BPA. Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, Newhook - all likely better than the D that will be available at that spot.

After that, lean D if the players are close - guys like Lassi Thomson, Matthew Robertson, Ryan Johnson, LaCombe, Korczak, Bjornfot may be available and would be good picks. I like Jayden Struble as well, he's a physical beast, and I like Marshall Warren too.

In the later rounds I really like guys like Jordan Spence, Simon Lundmark and Henry Thrun.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

That's actually a good option on Spooner. It'll only cost $1.333M for this year and next.

Buying out Schaller shouldn't be ruled out (unless there's a limit on how many players can be bought out). It would free up $1M this year, and only cost $400K next year.....which with annual cap increases that we see would be a total wash.

Actually the Spooner buyout would only cost Canucks $1M this year and next on the cap.

(Rangers pay the rest)

No limit on the number of players that can be bought out... but I'd prefer Schaller in Utica personally.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Granlund probably has a smidge of value; move him.
Baertschi does have value; move him. He will get another bump that will trigger symptoms, on and off player anyways,
not an everything to the wall for the playoffs guy.

I have a feeling we may just take Newhook, if he's there, because of his speed and God knows, we need more speed.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think it’s a forward we are taking, unless Jimbro trades back
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm Nothing in here that I outright disagree with, my competitive comment refers to in game not overall record. Losing by 1 or 2 is a lot better than by 3 or 4. Gagner was signed as insurance for when the sedins retired and petey not being ready. Not many people figured petey would step in like he did. This summer, this year and next summer are very important. Unloading Eriksson would be a big step. I think Sutter is more important to the team than you think (if he can return to form). Him playing on the wing will give the team added depth.
If the plan is to move Sutter to the wing, then Baertschi and Loui gotta go. He's still over priced as a winger, but whatever.

Benning shit the bed on his extension. Sutter just was never worth $4+M AND any kind of trade protection.
Nope. More like Benning is taking big shits in your bed, while you sleep.

Sutter is not overpaid at $4.3 Million. You want overpaid? 10 million William
Who is this “William” with a 10 million dollar cap hit?
IIHF big ice was paid $10.2 million this season. Cap hit $7 million. Lol!!! For a soft perimeter player. 7 goals 20 assists :lol: IN! Your thoughts?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I can think of far worse cap hits in the league than this “William” character that has your dick in a knot. There’s a couple playing Vancouver for the Canucks for instance.

If the Maple leaves try and trade “William” he wouldn’t be difficult to move and should fetch something decent back.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Peyton Krebs.....
Alex Newhook....
Trevor Zegras....
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Actually the Spooner buyout would only cost Canucks $1M this year and next on the cap.

(Rangers pay the rest)

No limit on the number of players that can be bought out... but I'd prefer Schaller in Utica personally.
I agree, spooner is a good buy out option, could even re sign him on a one way 800k deal if they like him for Utica and he can’t get anything better. Also schaller is perfect for the young guys in Utica he plays big and has enough skill to help them out offensively.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

God I hope Zegras falls