2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm Nothing in here that I outright disagree with, my competitive comment refers to in game not overall record. Losing by 1 or 2 is a lot better than by 3 or 4. Gagner was signed as insurance for when the sedins retired and petey not being ready. Not many people figured petey would step in like he did. This summer, this year and next summer are very important. Unloading Eriksson would be a big step. I think Sutter is more important to the team than you think (if he can return to form). Him playing on the wing will give the team added depth.
If the plan is to move Sutter to the wing, then Baertschi and Loui gotta go. He's still over priced as a winger, but whatever.

Benning shit the bed on his extension. Sutter just was never worth $4+M AND any kind of trade protection.
Nope. More like Benning is taking big shits in your bed, while you sleep.

Sutter is not overpaid at $4.3 Million. You want overpaid? 10 million William
Who is this “William” with a 10 million dollar cap hit?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Topper wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 pm Gaudette may one day become as effective as Sutter, but he is not there yet. This is why I put out the idea of Sutter on Gaudette's wing or visa versa based upon the situation. face offs and defensive play, Gaudette is still learning.
My thoughts exactly, Sutter gaudette virtanen could be a decent 3rd line. If sutters skating returns thats 3 very fast skaters and 2 are very responsible away from the puck. Also I believe virtanen has played his best hockey with Sutter.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sutter was a fill in guy with the Pens. He does not have a pedigree, and is not, a team leader.
Should never have been looked at or toted to be that here.
Oh he'll spew the shit when chatting with the media but just the fact he's been around, doesn't make him a team
leader. Should not have got an A to wear. Brock should have.
Well, they can still do that if they have the balls.
It's important in that BS knows his 3rd or 4th line duties, and some p/k, duties, if he's up to it.
It's important in that BB gives the interviews and takes the time to encourage his team-mates>>>>>>>>a lot!
Sutter's stats are not totally horrible
but notice the +/- when he had his best year with us.

But hey/ if someone asks me; if you could only dump one? I would still say LE.
like both though...
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Interesting article, https://hockeynews.se/articles/9361/, a 6'2", 200 lbs right handed defenseman.

Google translate
Simon Lundmark impressed in the LHC this past season.

Before the draft, the 18-year-old back talent has talked to 13 NHL clubs.

- I know Vancouver likes me very much, says Lundmark.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/3 ... n-lundmark
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:35 am
Who is this “William” with a 10 million dollar cap hit?
William Nylander. Remember him? He's the guy you brought up in every Benning-bashing post back when Virtanen was written off by you at age 19.

Blond? Looks like he can't do a chin up? You desperately wanted to draft him and said Benning was an idiot for passing on him to take Virtanen?

Here, I found a photo - I can see why you yearned for him so bad.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So does “William” have a 10 million dollar cap hit?

Jesus he must be one of the top paid players in the league?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Funny this “William” guy should be in the top 10 NHL cap hits.... yet I can’t seem to find him.... funny he should be ahead of Ovi and Seguin but I can’t find him.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Funny that you wait until Capfriendly rolls over its page from 2018-19 to 2019-20 to make your ridiculous point, but fortunately they have an archive, here ya go:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/maple ... acker/2019
Last edited by ESQ on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am Funny that you wait until Capfriendly rolls over its page from 2018-19 to 2019-20, but fortunately they have an archive, here ya go:

So how long is he a 10 million cap hit?

What is the average cap hit for the duration of his contract?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 am
Topper wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 pm Gaudette may one day become as effective as Sutter, but he is not there yet. This is why I put out the idea of Sutter on Gaudette's wing or visa versa based upon the situation. face offs and defensive play, Gaudette is still learning.
My thoughts exactly, Sutter gaudette virtanen could be a decent 3rd line. If sutters skating returns thats 3 very fast skaters and 2 are very responsible away from the puck. Also I believe virtanen has played his best hockey with Sutter.
My biggest issue with Sutter is he can't pass the puck to save his life - by many measurable stats he's the worst playmaking centre in the NHL. He has exactly 36 assists in 188 games with the Canucks while averaging 18 minutes a game. That's not bad, that's horrific.

He's a decent skater and has a good shot (37 goals in those same 188 games) but that's not enough for what he's paid and the ice time he gets. Totaling 73 points in 188 games is not good, and that's over 4 seasons so he's averaging

For comparison, Jay Beagle, who is thought of as an offensive black hole, has 23 goals and 42 assists for 65 points over his past 217 games or 3 seasons and he gets about 13 and a half minutes a night.

If Sutter is a RW on Gaudette's 3rd line that's better than playing as a C on the 3rd line, he's at least serviceable there. If that's the case though, somebody else has to go:

LW - Spooner, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Schaller, Goldy
RW - Brock, Jake, Motte, Sutter, MacEwan, Granlund

Way too many tweener wingers on the team. I'd trade Sutter as he's got some value as a 3C to another team, and Gaudette can replace his offense easily while Bo and Beagle can replace his defense/faceoffs.

He's a luxury, not a necessity.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am Funny that you wait until Capfriendly rolls over its page from 2018-19 to 2019-20 to make your ridiculous point, but fortunately they have an archive, here ya go:

$10M this year, $9M next year ($8.3M cap hit + $700K salary).

So starting July 1st should we should start calling Blob's blitch 9 Million William?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am If Sutter is a RW on Gaudette's 3rd line that's better than playing as a C on the 3rd line, he's at least serviceable there. If that's the case though, somebody else has to go:

I'm convinced they will buy out Spooner.

If they can't find a trade partner for Schaller, he ends up in Utica next year I figure.

(just $875K on the cap and a capable 4th line injury replacement callup)

Roussel is out til Nov, when he returns they can decide on who to trade/waive (Leivo/Goldie?)

(of course it's entirely possible Baer is injured by then and we keep both)

I don't see Granlund returning and I do see MacEwan starting with the Comets.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:02 pm Nothing in here that I outright disagree with, my competitive comment refers to in game not overall record. Losing by 1 or 2 is a lot better than by 3 or 4. Gagner was signed as insurance for when the sedins retired and petey not being ready. Not many people figured petey would step in like he did. This summer, this year and next summer are very important. Unloading Eriksson would be a big step. I think Sutter is more important to the team than you think (if he can return to form). Him playing on the wing will give the team added depth.
If the plan is to move Sutter to the wing, then Baertschi and Loui gotta go. He's still over priced as a winger, but whatever.

Benning shit the bed on his extension. Sutter just was never worth $4+M AND any kind of trade protection.
Nope. More like Benning is taking big shits in your bed, while you sleep.

Sutter is not overpaid at $4.3 Million. You want overpaid? 10 million William
$10M William is now $6.9M William. He's $2M cheaper than Skinner who puts up similar points, although granted that he scores twice as many goals.

It's kinda pointless to troll these parts with Nylander outside of the Leaves thread though, dontchathink?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh... the bed wetters are so covered with urine they can’t think straight
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am
Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am If Sutter is a RW on Gaudette's 3rd line that's better than playing as a C on the 3rd line, he's at least serviceable there. If that's the case though, somebody else has to go:

I'm convinced they will buy out Spooner.

If they can't find a trade partner for Schaller, he ends up in Utica next year I figure.

(just $875K on the cap and a capable 4th line injury replacement callup)

Roussel is out til Nov, when he returns they can decide on who to trade/waive (Leivo/Goldie?)

(of course it's entirely possible Baer is injured by then and we keep both)

I don't see Granlund returning and I do see MacEwan starting with the Comets.
That's actually a good option on Spooner. It'll only cost $1.333M for this year and next.

Buying out Schaller shouldn't be ruled out (unless there's a limit on how many players can be bought out). It would free up $1M this year, and only cost $400K next year.....which with annual cap increases that we see would be a total wash.

$5.9M becoming $2.333M this year and $1.75M next year is very palatable.

Especially when we dump Sutter's overpaid dead weight.