Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm
Eriksson "helps teams win" much more than Lucic.
Sure...too bad those teams arent based in vancouver
No shit. The guy has been an unmitigated disaster here.

His play is uglier than Rocky Dennis flipping out on shrooms wearing a prom dress
LMFAO
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Satiar Shah, on 650 am just said, only 30 minutes ago:

Would you trade Brock Boeser for Johnny Gaudreau ? and said I would.

This is just one of the reason why Mick has been listening to 10;40 more often lately.

.Image
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 pm We have to give Eriksson his due. He has united this board!
LOL!

I hear that Doc and the Dude secretly still want to keep him.....they love his flow.
You want Lucic and you think other folks are wacky...
Who said anything about anyone being wacky? There you go putting words into people's posts again!
You think it's perfectly sane for folks to want a hockey player on one's team solely because they "love his flow"? :wow:

*backs away slowly*
Oh I see how it is. I have to read between the lines and know when you're being facetious, but you don't have to going the other way?
Yes because frankly you suck at being facetious.

Sorry to hear you also suck at reading between the lines. :(

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 pm I don't want Lucic, nor would I be upset if that's how we unloaded Eriksson.

But there you go putting words into people's posts again!
Well some of your posts over the past few days seem to suggest you're in favour of a Loui for Lucic swap.

Or maybe you should answer your own questions:
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am The question is: If we want to push for the playoffs, who do you want in the bottom-6 should we get there, Eriksson or Lucic?
EH?
I would be in favour of it, but only if the alternative is keeping Loui here. If Eriksson can be moved for a player as serviceable as Looch who is either cheaper or shorter term, then I'd be in favour of that.

As for my own question, in the playoffs do I want Eriksson or Lucic, the answer is Lucic 8 days a week.
AH, so I wasn't "putting words into people's posts"! :sly:

Let's recap, I read correctly between the lines, wisely ignored your facetiousness

... and arrived at the correct conclusion: You want Lucic. :mex:
Ever the cherry picker eh wot. :lol:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wonder what kind of winger we could get for Olli Juolevi, cap hit Eriksson + Goldy/Bart.
for
winger + cap dump.

We trade OJ, we can then sign Edler 4 years without worrying about protecting key dmen, protect AE, Tryamkin + new dman.

Looking at the Blues defense:

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
JBo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm Wonder what kind of winger we could get for Olli Juolevi, cap hit Eriksson + Goldy/Bart.
for
winger + cap dump.

We trade OJ, we can then sign Edler 4 years without worrying about protecting key dmen, protect AE, Tryamkin + new dman.

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
JBo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
I had to read all the way to where you wrote Stecher’s name on the top pairing before I realized you were just being funny.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm Wonder what kind of winger we could get for Olli Juolevi, cap hit Eriksson + Goldy/Bart.
for winger + cap dump.

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
I had to read all the way to where you wrote Stecher’s name on the top pairing before I realized you were just being funny.
Stecher is there because he and Edler have had good chemistry for awhile now, and Edler plays better with a puck rusher.
Stecher almost avg 20min TOI last season, he's had has sophomore slump last season and rebounded this season.

Stecher as a rookie 24pts, sophomore 11pts, then he earned Green's trust over time and got back to 23pts this past year.
March 2019:
Stecher has emerged as arguably the Canucks’ best defencemen over the last couple months, or at least their steadiest and most reliable. In the process, he’s made a strong argument to be a significant part of the Canucks’ future.

Of course, it seemed like Stecher had earned that place by the end of the 2017-18 season, when he was playing big minutes alongside Alex Edler on the top pairing. It was odd to see him in a third-pairing role to start this season.

As the season progressed, however, Green and Baumgartner started to lean more and more on Stecher, eventually giving him significant minutes in all situations. Injuries played a role, but Stecher’s steady play made it difficult to deny him those minutes. When they finally, mercifully ended the Hutton/Gudbranson experiment, Stecher was more than ready to step in.

You can see the growth in ice time for Stecher over the course of the season in the chart below. The blue line is his 5-on-5 ice time, expressed as a percentage of available ice time. The yellow line his short-handed ice time, again as a percentage. The red line is his 5-on-5 corsi (shot attempts for) percentage, as a rough guideline for his performance throughout the season.

Stecher is in the top tier of penalty killers in every single one of those statistics. The only Canucks defencemen ahead of him in fenwick and shots against is Edler.

For whatever reason, it’s taken Green and the Canucks a long time to recognize Stecher as one of their best penalty killers. Part of it likely stems from a blind spot when it comes to undersized defencemen.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23656714
Considering we are still growing in the rebuild, having a younger Stecher grow with the team and earning his keep is a sound franchise move.
Stecher did so well in his second-pairing minutes that it’s worth pondering whether he could play an even bigger role on this team. Going into the season, we knew the Canucks’ defence corps needed some fresh looks; Stecher’s progression was a welcome one.

In terms of shot attempts, 2018-19 was his best season to date, too: the Canucks were a 50/50 proposition when he was on the ice.

For a team that did struggle to control play during 2018-19, that’s a very impressive feat.

So let us be clear: Troy Stecher could probably handle more ice time. He generally make his teammates better. He’s proven to be the best partner for Alex Edler, who the Canucks seem keen to retain.

Edler only spent 12 per cent of his ice time this season alongside Stecher, but in those 117 minutes, they were a positive shot-attempts pairing.

That’s no mean feat, given that all season Edler was put up against the opposition’s best forwards and did well against them. Shot attempts against didn’t surge and in fact Edler had the most success he’s ever had in prevent shots from the middle of the ice.

As a partner, Stecher’s skills seem well-attuned. He’s a strong skater with outstanding positional sense — as a smaller player, he’s the first to point out he wouldn’t make it in the NHL without smart positioning — and a good ability at both breaking up rushes into the zone and moving the puck up ice to get his team going in the right direction.

Add it all up and you see that Stecher is part of the solution going forward. You could do worse than playing him alongside Edler and exposing him to heavy minutes. The Canucks are better when he’s on the ice.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... oy-stecher
So yeah I think that's 3 solid pairings moving forward without breaking the bank on a Karlsson type.

EDLER - STECHER (proven quality pairing)

HUTTON - MYERS (Both have good size and puck skills)

HUGHES - SCHENN (sheltered role here, both have played great together, give Q all the powerplay time to give Edler a rest)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Skyo I dont see in that beeakdown the part where he sucks...

What would that be under?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

for
winger + cap dump.

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
JBo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
One defence has two of the best defencemen in the game. All situations workhorses that can also put up points. Vancouver doesn’t have such a player.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:07 am
for
winger + cap dump.

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
JBo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
One defence has two of the best defencemen in the game. All situations workhorses that can also put up points. Vancouver doesn’t have such a player.
But Blob, SKYO says Stecher was getting top pairing minutes! Doesn’t that mean he’s top pairing quality?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:07 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm Looking at the Blues defense:

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
JBo - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo
Edmundson

Edler - Stecher
Hutton - Myers?
Hughes - Schenn
Rafferty
One defence has two of the best defencemen in the game.

All situations workhorses that can also put up points. Vancouver doesn’t have such a player.
Well I am comparing an in-prime/veteran championship defense vs a rebuilding one, and we are not going for the Cup next year, it's just a stepping stone for this really young core team.

The last teams to win the Cup their core's were in their late 20's - to mid 30's years of age, we got a lot of time to get to that stage.

I'm merely trying to improve our scoring from the back end without breaking the bank, while we wait for the NHL youth to learn the ropes in Hughes, Woo, Juolevi.

Their best dman - Pietrangelo was drafted 11 years ago.
Parayko drafted 7 years ago.
JBo their elder was drafted 17 years ago for crying out loud.

Edler is our Jbo - drafted 15 years ago, he does play in every situation you know this, he's basically our best dman, the workhorse of the team, but overworked, he needs help.

Stecher is a smart guy, metrics/corsi/fenwick all favour him, and he's only getting better.
Hutton after Green gave him a hard year came back strong and had a solid year.
Tryamkin drafted in 2014, JB has talked about him and is in touch with his agent, both the GM & his agent seem to be on the same page in regards to him returning as soon as his KHL contract is done.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I repeat we do not have a Petro or a Parayko on the team or in the system. These are top 10 - 15 D men in the game. We have nobody projected to be that good all around.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am I repeat we do not have a Petro or a Parayko on the team or in the system. These are top 10 - 15 D men in the game. We have nobody projected to be that good all around.
Yes, so unless you have some grand scheme to trade for Trouba or PK Subban, my proposed defense is probably the best you're gonna get without throwing 11M per at Karlsson or giving up quality assets we can't afford to give up at this time.

Trade Tanev for a couple picks.

Sign Myers to take Tanev's spot to help by adding 30ish points per season, don't have to give up any assets there, while acquiring picks.

Continue to draft and develop (& hope one of em is like Parayko [3rd rounder]).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am Hughes, Woo, Juolevi.
I repeat we do not have a Petro or a Parayko on the team or in the system. These are top 10 - 15 D men in the game. We have nobody projected to be that good all around.
Parayko was not "projected to be that good" when he was the age of those three...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am Parayko [3rd rounder, 2012].
Plus he was passed over in his first draft year (undrafted in 2011).
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:11 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am Parayko [3rd rounder, 2012].
Plus he was passed over in his first draft year (undrafted in 2011).
I always liked that story of how the Blues drafted him.......

"Marshall Davidson was your typical bird dog back in September of 2011, standing in a rink in Spruce Grove, Alta. A lifetime hockey man working for his brother John, then the President of Hockey Operations for the St. Louis Blues, Davidson was sipping lousy coffee and hoping one of these kids would jump out at him.

Then he noticed this average-sized, undrafted, 18-year-old defenceman for the Fort McMurray Oil Barons. He had a big shot and a deceivingly good stride. But for some reason the kid was only taking 20-second shifts.

So the old scout sidled across the rink to a group of kids wearing shirts and ties. They were the Oil Barons who weren’t dressed for the game. He could spot them a mile away.

“I asked one kid, ‘Number so and so. Is he hurt?’” Davidson recalls. “The kid said, “Ummm…’

“I said, ‘It’s OK. I won’t tell anyone.’”

“Well he’s playing with a cracked rib….”

And so began the courting of Colton Parayko, a covert, subtle, season-long pursuit that ended with the Blues drafting him in the third round in 2012. Today Parayko is playing Top-4 minutes on one of the league’s top blue-lines, passed over by all 30 teams at his first draft, and 29 more the second time around."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/col ... pt-secret/