Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Carlyee »

Topper wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm I'm guessing Lucic fans have been watching the NBA an reminiscing of the days in the in the Garage when Big Country Reeves made plate tectonics appear fast.
+1

And I’m not sure Milan protects anyone physically. But he might be useful in the playoffs as once again it turns into a thug fest in the scf.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:28 pm
Tciso wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm The only year that counts is 2021, when Hughes and the Alien need new contracts. Loui is only $4mil on buy-out at that point. Sucks, but still an option if we need that last few pennies. Look, they both suck, but Looch is not worth an extra year of cap hell for whatever slight improvement he might be over Loui.
2021/22 this team barely has anyone under contract.

Lucic and Horvat will have 2 yrs left.

Beags/Roussel last year on contracts perfect TDD trade bait.

And that's it lol for right now until Boeser signs his 6+ yr contract.
I'm kinda glad you are not the GM :lol:

It should be very safe to assume that we will also have to fill out the rest of the line-up too. I don't know how it will play out, but if you look ahead a few years, we do have some other players who should be getting raises (and yes, a few getting the boot). It would be quite easy for the Canucks to be in cap hell in 2021/22, similar to where Tarana is today (having to shed their depth players), or Edmonton. Neither Lucic or Ericksson are worth their contracts, and in 3 years, odds are neither will even be legit NHLers. Trading for Lucic doesn't improve us on the ice. He's not a make/break player for our playoff chances next year. In fact, we likely lose more games with him than Loui. Throw in the additional cap headache for 2022/23 he provides, and I can see no reason to take Lucic. To be honest, if Looch was a UFA, and wanted to sign a 2 year deal at $2mil/per, I still don't think we want him. We are right full of 3rd liners, and our younger ones need the playing time over whatever Looch brings to the ice.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am
Tciso wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm The only year that counts is 2021, when Hughes and the Alien need new contracts. Loui is only $4mil on buy-out at that point. Sucks, but still an option if we need that last few pennies. Look, they both suck, but Looch is not worth an extra year of cap hell for whatever slight improvement he might be over Loui.

It should be very safe to assume that we will also have to fill out the rest of the line-up too.

I don't know how it will play out, but if you look ahead a few years, we do have some other players who should be getting raises (and yes, a few getting the boot).

It would be quite easy for the Canucks to be in cap hell in 2021/22, similar to where Tarana is today (having to shed their depth players), or Edmonton.

Neither Lucic or Ericksson are worth their contracts, and in 3 years, odds are neither will even be legit NHLers.

Trading for Lucic doesn't improve us on the ice.

He's not a make/break player for our playoff chances next year.

In fact, we likely lose more games with him than Loui.

Throw in the additional cap headache for 2022/23 he provides, and I can see no reason to take Lucic.

To be honest, if Looch was a UFA, and wanted to sign a 2 year deal at $2mil/per, I still don't think we want him.

We are right full of 3rd liners, and our younger ones need the playing time over whatever Looch brings to the ice.
lol sheesh get to the fucking point.

They both trash, one is better defensively and shies away from the play and turns invisible like a coward,

While one is an asshole who can scrum in the trenches with the best of em.

I know who I'd like in a playoff war.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I don't really give a shit if we trade for Lucic or not. It's a wash.

If Eriksson can't be moved somewhere else where we see at least a 50% reduction in cap hit over the same term (or less), but Edmonton is willing to deal and throw in a pick, hell even if it's one-for-one, then I say it's a good move.

Loui has proven that he is not going to dig deep, he's offensively anemic at this point, and is now a media darling in that he is creating a distraction for the hyenas to pounce on. He also just disappears when it's time for the guys on the ice to circle the wagons and push back. Lucic might be slower, and we'd have to pay him for a year longer, but he will go to war for his team. He might only get 5 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time, and he might not kill penalties, but he would be an asset to the PP just by virtue of his size and aggressive net crashing tendencies. The cap will go up, and in 2 years when we have to re-sign Pettersson, there will be room for it because $6M will be the new $4M, and there will only be 2 more years of that left.

The question is: If we want to push for the playoffs, who do you want in the bottom-6 should we get there, Eriksson or Lucic?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 am sending Loui to Utica saves $1M of cap, so why trade him away and pay more for the trouble of it just to gain the same amount of room?
The only part of the Eriksson contract that concerns me is the final year.

From 2021 onwards we will need to have as many value contracts as possible IMO.

Cap hit for Loui would be $5M if he's in Utica.

(btw Lucic can't be sent down because of his NMC)

At some point between now and 2021 we need to move Loui's contract imo.

(and the last thing we need is Lucic's contract)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am

It should be very safe to assume that we will also have to fill out the rest of the line-up too. I don't know how it will play out, but if you look ahead a few years, we do have some other players who should be getting raises (and yes, a few getting the boot). It would be quite easy for the Canucks to be in cap hell in 2021/22, similar to where Tarana is today (having to shed their depth players), or Edmonton. Neither Lucic or Ericksson are worth their contracts, and in 3 years, odds are neither will even be legit NHLers. Trading for Lucic doesn't improve us on the ice. He's not a make/break player for our playoff chances next year. In fact, we likely lose more games with him than Loui. Throw in the additional cap headache for 2022/23 he provides, and I can see no reason to take Lucic. To be honest, if Looch was a UFA, and wanted to sign a 2 year deal at $2mil/per, I still don't think we want him. We are right full of 3rd liners, and our younger ones need the playing time over whatever Looch brings to the ice.
This guy gets it.

Move the Eriksson contract by 2021 and no Lucic thank you very much.

If a bad contract must come back for Loui, and the trade is made this summer

... take one back with 1 or 2 years left on it.

(Darling, Perry, Sekera, Phaneuf, etc)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am The question is: If we want to push for the playoffs, who do you want in the bottom-6 should we get there, Eriksson or Lucic?
Neither.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am The question is: If we want to push for the playoffs, who do you want in the bottom-6 should we get there, Eriksson or Lucic?
Neither.
Thing is moving Eriksson and his 3 years x $6M contract won't be as easy as you think, regardless of his total $9M salary after his bonus is paid.

There are many other easier players to digest for a cap floor team and many other options for em while getting an asset back for taking on other teams junk, I mean contract.

Knights (Eakin, Miller), Tampa (callahan, johnson, palat, miller), Leaves (marleau, zaitsev), Oilers (looch), Pens (kessel), Caps, Wild, Panthers (hoffman), Flames, Kings all need to shed cap and have better players than Eriksson to offer with shorter term in most cases.

It is why the swap of LE for ML is the most logical solution for Edm & Van at this point, two immovable contracts for each other.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:01 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm
Neither.
Thing is moving Eriksson and his 3 years x $6M contract won't be as easy as you think, regardless of his total $9M salary after his bonus is paid.

There are many other easier players to digest for a cap floor team and many other options for em while getting an asset back for taking on other teams junk, I mean contract.

Knights (Eakin, Miller), Tampa (callahan, johnson, palat, miller), Leaves (marleau, zaitsev), Oilers (looch), Pens (kessel), Caps, Wild, Panthers (hoffman), Flames, Kings all need to shed cap and have better players than Eriksson to offer with shorter term in most cases.

It is why the swap of LE for ML is the most logical solution for Edm & Van at this point, two immovable contracts for each other.
There is no such thing as an "immovable contract".

The idea of moving Eriksson seems to be to "unload a bad contract".

So why on God's semi-green earth would you want a much worse contract coming back! :wow:

None of the contracts you listed are cap-dumps except Marleau/Zaitsev/Looch

... and Leaves/Oilers are under much much much more pressure to move those than we are with Loui.

In our case we should only be concerned with the final year of Loui's contract.

So we can wait two more years or move him now with a 2-year "bad contract" coming back?

Or attach a small asset (way smaller than what you suggest) and take no bad contract back.

Trading Loui immediately seems like an unnecessary panic move.

And swapping him for Lucic seems like out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire madness.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Eriksson's deal is still full NTC this coming year. The last two are modified NTC. (it sucks) but;

The Canucks could simply tell him that he'll be playing in Utica because he just isn't a fit in Vancouver.
Ask him if he wants to play NHL hockey; waive and we'll see what can be done.
All we need in return is a 6th or 7th. Just the minimum to get it done.

There'd still be no takers, would there?

Alas Fu*k.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:45 pm
All we need in return is a 6th or 7th. Just the minimum to get it done.

There'd still be no takers, would there?

Alas Fu*k.
No
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm There is no such thing as an "immovable contract".

The idea of moving Eriksson seems to be to "unload a bad contract".

So why on God's semi-green earth would you want a much worse contract coming back! :wow:
Albeit true - that no contract is truly immovable - some are just so damn hard to move without giving up a stupid amount of asset(s) you might as well call it immovable.

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm So why on God's semi-green earth would you want a much worse contract coming back! :wow:
Because that 'one extra year' contract for Looch of the same cap hit as mr invisible Eriksson is a far better fit for this skinny team that doesn't have much push back that is lacking assholes (I recall that you used to love to try find for this pushover squad), as the Getzlafs etc all slapped around this puny team, injuring everyone.

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm In our case we should only be concerned with the final year of Loui's contract.

So we can wait two more years or move him now with a 2-year "bad contract" coming back?

Or attach a small asset (way smaller than what you suggest) and take no bad contract back.
Darling(canes) can't see LE waiving his NTC to go there.
Perry? thought you were hell bent on him not coming here, with his wonky knee.
Sekera is interesting, but I think the Oil will give him one more shot.

Phaneuf is good one, should look into that, but it seems like the Kings want to move out the old to bring in youth, however I can see the slower Kopitar being a good center for Eriksson, they could thrive together, he's the type LE played best with like Krejci and B Richards. *Get Blake on the line*
Strangelove wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm Trading Loui immediately seems like an unnecessary panic move.

And swapping him for Lucic seems like out-of-the-frying-pan-into-the-fire madness.
With Eriksson not helping the team win, and JB's job on the line I don't see a situation where we keep this boat anchor of a contract for another two years.

Lucic fills a need for the Canucks lacking aggression and has quite a few skinny guys coming onto the team soon (Gaudette, Madden) or is already on the team like Petey and Sutter, along with the plethora of avg sized wingers in Baertschi, Goldy, Granlund - OR simply just lack aggression like Pearson, Leivo, Boeser.

The only players on this team with any jam is Virtanen and Motte + injured Roussel.

Every team needs balance of skill, size, aggression and speed, Lucic fills that hole on the Canucks with his size and aggression, especially with Roussel out till Xmas at best & won't be the same till 2020 I bet.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... ne-roussel
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Yuppers!! great call Skyo!!

If you think its a good idea to trade for Lucic and then have to protect him in the expansion draft, thus exposing someone with a bit of talent or potential, opposed to simply exposing Eriksson, then it MUST be a good idea!!!

YAY!!!!

Lets all jump on this bus, lick the windows, pee the seats and carry on!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All I'm worried about protecting up front is:

Petey/Boeser/Horvat/Virtanen/Gaudette & (Zucker for example).

that's it.

Don't care if Seattle takes Sutter, Motte, Bart, Goldy, Roussel, Beagle, Leivo or the many other fringe players we have.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 pm
The only players on this team with any jam is Virtanen and Motte + injured Roussel.

Every team needs balance of skill, size, aggression and speed, Lucic fills that hole on the Canucks with his size and aggression, especially with Roussel out till Xmas at best & won't be the same till 2020 I bet.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... ne-roussel
It's a good point Skyo. As it sits right now, there are very few on the team that enjoy, or even willing to partake, in the physical
aspect of the game that deters some of the shit we saw last year.

Eriksson-extremely rare.
Sutter-hardly ever except when he feels like it out of the blue.
Tanev-rarely.
Brock-needs to start, send messages and shit.
Pete-probably end up like the Sedins/nasty elbows and sticks.
Edler-it's weird. Sometimes big time/ sometimes not.
Gaudette- needs to or kiss the NHL good bye for another year.
Virts-A must/ and cannot hit and run either. Gotta be the real McCoy.
Granlund- :twisted: I wont use the P word but punt time.
Beagle-fair
Rousell-real good if he keeps it real, but like Sky said, far away.
Hughes- he's actually nastier than you might think. May take a few 2:00 s
Stecher- keep working on it, there's hope.
Hutton- WTF/ just plain don't like rough play I guess. Hard to justify a new contract directly on account of unwillingness
to get down and dirty?????

No question the old Lucic is exactly what this team needs. If I thought there could be a resurgence, wouldn't hesitate.
That stick-up for your team-mates thing is contagious too. Ship may have sailed; but I don't know that for 100%, I fear so.

Our 18/19 hit stats were not bad but that is extremely misleading and certainly isn't alway indicative of a game.

As things sit, at the latter part of last year, we would be hard pressed to play like you need to in a heated playoff round.
"evolution"