2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm Zegras would be a fantastic add to the group we have....might even be able to step into the lineup next fall. Where is he ranked on the latest list?
Way higher than 10th. :(
The price we pay for winning the meaningless games down the stretch when it was clear we were done and out.

(kicking off another "to tank or not to tank..." endless summer debate)
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:11 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm Zegras would be a fantastic add to the group we have....might even be able to step into the lineup next fall. Where is he ranked on the latest list?
Way higher than 10th. :(
The price we pay for winning the meaningless games down the stretch when it was clear we were done and out.

(kicking off another "to tank or not to tank..." endless summer debate)
Nope, it is the price we paid for the Coilers winning the multiple first overall within six years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jimbro is landing us a good player at 10. Thanks to the Americans in this draft class (for bringing depth to the top 10) we will have a pick of 2-3 excellent prospects at 10th overall.

Sounds like Jimbro doesn’t want to sacrifice his 2nd to move up, thinking there will be good prospects to be had in the 2nd round
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:48 am
Sounds like Jimbro doesn’t want to sacrifice his 2nd to move up, thinking there will be good prospects to be had in the 2nd round
It is a decently deep draft even if it doesn’t have a huge amount of high end guys at the top other than Hughes and KK. I’d like to see Jett Black flesh out some of the “depth” and get us a handful more picks in rounds 2 to 5. What could we reasonably expect to get for:

Ben Hutton
Markus Granlund
Brandon Sutter
Josh Leivo
Alex Biega
Troy Stecher

These guys don’t move the needle much and this team is overloaded with bottom pairing D men and bottom end forwards. I’d rather they keep Stecher but it seems they are intent on beefing up the RH D and I feel he will be a casualty. To me there isn’t a ton of difference inBiega and Stecher. They are both competent players but you ideally don’t want both in the lineup together that often.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Quality mock draft and analysis.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-m ... t-round-1/

hawks - turcotte (the successor to Toews)

avs - zegras (superb center)

kings - byram (doughty successor)

redwings - podkolzin (redwings got time on their hands for rebuild, and Yzerman has had success with Russians a lot)

sabres - brobroberg or Caufield (broberg was better than Byram at the Hlinka Cup, and was the best dman at U18, been compared to Klingberg. Caufield the uber small sniper of the year).

oilers - dach (big talented center, hometown boy from edm)

ducks - cozens (no brainer here)

canucks - Alex Newhook (the dazzling crazy skilled center/winger, the fastest skater in the draft, mr electric, he'd fit in well in Vancouver's top 6 in a couple years).

philly - krebs
wild - boldy
panther - heinola
yotes - caufield
habs - lavoie

like every year I've been saying, wish/hope we land another 1st rounder!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am
It is a decently deep draft even if it doesn’t have a huge amount of high end guys at the top other than Hughes and KK. I’d like to see Jett Black flesh out some of the “depth” and get us a handful more picks in rounds 2 to 5. What could we reasonably expect to get for:

Ben Hutton
Markus Granlund
Brandon Sutter
Josh Leivo
Alex Biega
Troy Stecher

These guys don’t move the needle much and this team is overloaded with bottom pairing D men and bottom end forwards. I’d rather they keep Stecher but it seems they are intent on beefing up the RH D and I feel he will be a casualty. To me there isn’t a ton of difference inBiega and Stecher. They are both competent players but you ideally don’t want both in the lineup together that often.
Agreed it's a relatively deep draft, too bad we have zero appetite to trade players for extra picks - yes, yes, cut the Strange comments about all the amazing 6th rounders we have.

Hutton would get probably a 3rd?
Granlund I think you'd get a 5th or 6th, he doesn't really do much well
Sutter who knows, I'd love to drive him to the airport myself but there's always a dumb GM willing to pay up for a centre with pedigree. Maybe a 2nd if we retain some salary?
Leivo I'd prefer to keep, he's cheap and good depth on the 3rd line
Biega again would be a 6th, guys like him are a dime a dozen
Stecher I would definitely keep - he's better than 50-60 games of Tanev at 75%, and he's definitely better than Biega. He's our best RHD which isn't saying much

Unfortunately right before the draft is the worst time to trade for picks, they become way more valuable to teams. It's why I've been suggesting trading for picks at the trade deadline when they are thrown around like water and teams like the Wings, Canes, Sabres, Sens all end up with multiple 2nd round picks.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 pm Unfortunately right before the draft is the worst time to trade for picks, they become way more valuable to teams. It's why I've been suggesting trading for picks at the trade deadline when they are thrown around like water and teams like the Wings, Canes, Sabres, Sens all end up with multiple 2nd round picks.
The rumour at the TDD was Edler to the Flames for a 1st + Dube, but the infamous NTC blocked it.

I bet we could get a 2019 2nd + prospect for Tanev though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Craig Button's latest rankings:

WTF
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Cole Caufield
5. Matthew Boldy
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Philip Broberg
8. Peyton Krebs
9. Vasili Podkolzin
10. Alex Turcotte
11. Thomas Harley
12. Kirby Dach
13. Arthur Kaliyev
14. Dylan Cozens
15. Spencer Knight
16. Cam York
17. Raphael Lavoie
18. Alex Newhook
19. Ilya Nikolaev
20. Bobby Brink
21. Egor Afanasyev
22. Connor McMichael
23. Phillip Tomasino
24. Vladislav Kolyachonok
25. Victor Soderstrom
26. Moritz Seider
27. Tobias Bjornfot
28. Nicholas Robertson
29. Ryan Suzuki
30. Brett Leason
31. Matthew Robertson
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Buttons list brings out the fact that the top 15 of this draft is very tough to predict. Turcotte at 10? Anyhow, it comes down to each team’s list and who they like. What we do know is Hughes and Kakko will be the first two selected, after that spin the wheel

Benning and Brackett better nail this one
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

vic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:28 pm Craig Button's latest rankings:

WTF
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Cole Caufield
5. Matthew Boldy
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Philip Broberg
8. Peyton Krebs
9. Vasili Podkolzin
10. Alex Turcotte
11. Thomas Harley
12. Kirby Dach
13. Arthur Kaliyev
14. Dylan Cozens
15. Spencer Knight
16. Cam York
17. Raphael Lavoie
18. Alex Newhook
19. Ilya Nikolaev
20. Bobby Brink
21. Egor Afanasyev
22. Connor McMichael
23. Phillip Tomasino
25. Victor Soderstrom
26. Moritz Seider
27. Tobias Bjornfot
28. Nicholas Robertson
29. Ryan Suzuki
30. Brett Leason
31. Matthew Robertson
Button is out to lunch on cozens at 14 while the smurf sits at 4th. Those 2 are in each others spots
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:22 am
vic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:28 pm Craig Button's latest rankings:

WTF
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Cole Caufield
5. Matthew Boldy
6. Trevor Zegras
7. Philip Broberg
8. Peyton Krebs
9. Vasili Podkolzin
10. Alex Turcotte
11. Thomas Harley
12. Kirby Dach
13. Arthur Kaliyev
14. Dylan Cozens
15. Spencer Knight
16. Cam York
17. Raphael Lavoie
18. Alex Newhook
19. Ilya Nikolaev
20. Bobby Brink
21. Egor Afanasyev
22. Connor McMichael
23. Phillip Tomasino
25. Victor Soderstrom
26. Moritz Seider
27. Tobias Bjornfot
28. Nicholas Robertson
29. Ryan Suzuki
30. Brett Leason
31. Matthew Robertson
Button is out to lunch on cozens at 14 while the smurf sits at 4th. Those 2 are in each others spots
This could be one of those drafts where teams have a specific player in mind like Arizona on Hayton and Montreal on Kotkaniemi. Teams lists versus media scribes lists don’t seem to have much in common these days other than the obvious - Hughes and Kakko.

Caulfield goes top 5 cause a team there wants him, not because Button likes him. Cozens doesn’t go top 10 cause teams picking top 10 preferred other prospects.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Caulfield goes top 5, a top 10 team drafts Knight out of need, Podkozlin falls only because he’s Russian and signed to the KHL. Wouldn’t be surprised if Cozens drops because his IQ is questioned. Wouldn’t be surprised if Broberg goes top 10 cause of his raw talent. I think Krebs goes top 10 cause of his Ryan O’Reilly work ethic, he seems to get compared him a lot and O’Reilly is having a heck of a Finals. The Turcotte fall is a mystery, although he is the one player I know the least about. I can see Zegras going high as he is a great skater who’s game gets compared to Pettersson’s. It’s a flavour of the day or so it seems - Caulfield - DeBrincat etc

The Blues are bucking the trend back to size, after the Penguins bucked the trend to speed and skill and size doesn’t matter after their last cup win. Ya just hope your GM and his scouting staff ignore trends like all those analytics fucks like Dubas and the Athletic
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am

Ben Hutton
Markus Granlund
Brandon Sutter
Josh Leivo
Alex Biega
Troy Stecher

The only way I can see Stecher sticking around is if Jimbro upgrades the 2nd pairing LHD with someone a little more brawny than Hutton.

The team has said they would like Schenn back, and if he plays like he did since he suited up in the Stinky Whale then he should be the 6th man, and would probably be a fairly ideal candidate to partner with Hughes to start off.

Stecher is a 2nd/3rd pairing guy at best. But Schenn isn't a top-4 anymore. Once Hughes earns more time and is in the top-4 things get complicated.

Like you said Blobcat, we are overloaded with bottom-pairing guys and there will be casualties.....probably some unexpected ones.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 pm Unfortunately right before the draft is the worst time to trade for picks, they become way more valuable to teams. It's why I've been suggesting trading for picks at the trade deadline when they are thrown around like water and teams like the Wings, Canes, Sabres, Sens all end up with multiple 2nd round picks.
The rumour at the TDD was Edler to the Flames for a 1st + Dube, but the infamous NTC blocked it.

I heard it was a 3rd plus Kylington, which would have also been nice. Who knows. I've made my thoughts on the NTC clear, Jimbo and team went about it about as incorrectly as can be so it was obvious he was going to block a trade - don't really want to rehash that though.

Tanev I think a 2nd plus a prospect would be decent, depending on how the team looks before the draft. If we trade for Zaitsev for example, and I think that would be a terrible pickup personally, he's also a RHD so Tanev may become expendable. With Stecher, Tanev, Biega, maybe Rafferty and another addition in FA/trade the right side gets a bit tight.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 am This could be one of those drafts where teams have a specific player in mind like Arizona on Hayton and Montreal on Kotkaniemi. Teams lists versus media scribes lists don’t seem to have much in common these days other than the obvious - Hughes and Kakko.

Caulfield goes top 5 cause a team there wants him, not because Button likes him. Cozens doesn’t go top 10 cause teams picking top 10 preferred other prospects.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Caulfield goes top 5, a top 10 team drafts Knight out of need, Podkozlin falls only because he’s Russian and signed to the KHL. Wouldn’t be surprised if Cozens drops because his IQ is questioned. Wouldn’t be surprised if Broberg goes top 10 cause of his raw talent. I think Krebs goes top 10 cause of his Ryan O’Reilly work ethic, he seems to get compared him a lot and O’Reilly is having a heck of a Finals. The Turcotte fall is a mystery, although he is the one player I know the least about. I can see Zegras going high as he is a great skater who’s game gets compared to Pettersson’s. It’s a flavour of the day or so it seems - Caulfield - DeBrincat etc

The Blues are bucking the trend back to size, after the Penguins bucked the trend to speed and skill and size doesn’t matter after their last cup win. Ya just hope your GM and his scouting staff ignore trends like all those analytics fucks like Dubas and the Athletic
Agreed, lets ignore all the analytics like the Canes, Bolts, Bruins, leaves, Avs and Flames do - after all they all sucked more than the Nucks this year right? The Blues top 6 scoring forwards are all around 6 feet tall so I'm not sure what you're talking about there - Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Schwartz, Perron, Bozak, Schenn. The only big forwards they have are Maroon and Thorburn, neither of whom is in the top 50 playoffs scorers. Their D is big but even more than that they are mobile.

Boston is even smaller with Marchand, Bergeron (under 200 pounds), Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Johnasson, Krug, Krejci. They have Chara, Coyle and healthy scratch Backes as big players, but neither of these teams is big.

Use every advantage you can get, I don't care what it is - analytics, eye test, scouts, etc. Use them all because more information is better.

Still have no idea how the draft will go but I'm getting more and more partial to Seider with what I read, hear and see about him. He looks like he could be a perfect future partner on a #1 pairing with Hughes.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Diehard1 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I heard it was a 3rd plus Kylington, which would have also been nice. Who knows. I've made my thoughts on the NTC clear, Jimbo and team went about it about as incorrectly as can be so it was obvious he was going to block a trade - don't really want to rehash that though.

Tanev I think a 2nd plus a prospect would be decent, depending on how the team looks before the draft. If we trade for Zaitsev for example, and I think that would be a terrible pickup personally, he's also a RHD so Tanev may become expendable. With Stecher, Tanev, Biega, maybe Rafferty and another addition in FA/trade the right side gets a bit tight.
How did Benning go about it oh wise one