2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Would be nice to draft a local kid if hes the BPA although I cant see Cozens falling whatsoever. Some have him picked at 3rd even. Being from Whitehorse he would count as a local since this is 90% canucks fans, local games are canucks on tv.

Not sure about newhook but what i did read sounded real promising. Hes 5-11 i think which is big enough in todays NHL for top liners
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm Would be nice to draft a local kid if hes the BPA although I cant see Cozens falling whatsoever. Some have him picked at 3rd even. Being from Whitehorse he would count as a local since this is 90% canucks fans, local games are canucks on tv.

Not sure about newhook but what i did read sounded real promising. Hes 5-11 i think which is big enough in todays NHL for top liners
Newhook is from the East Coast. Cozens is from the Yukon. I don’t think there is one BC’er expected to go in the first round
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm Would be nice to draft a local kid if hes the BPA although I cant see Cozens falling whatsoever. Some have him picked at 3rd even. Being from Whitehorse he would count as a local since this is 90% canucks fans, local games are canucks on tv.

Newhook is from the East Coast. Cozens is from the Yukon. I don’t think there is one BC’er expected to go in the first round
Bowen Byram
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Oh he plays in the bcjhl. Gotcha...well yay yukon then
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Bowen Byram
He’s from Alberta
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You’re right he’s from Cranbrook. I got confused by him playing Midget AAA in Lethbridge

OK, 1 kid from BC
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I'm not too fussed about local or not, though I do admit I tend to like Canadian kids more than other nationalities. I also like Swedish kids a lot as they seem to be very loyal.

Newhook looks very good but I'd be interested to see what his upside is. Could be another Todd Marchant type with a ton of wheels and not much else, or he could turn into a poor man's McKinnon. Supposedly a very hard worker off the ice which is always a huge thing for me.

Too many players in the top 12-13 of this draft that I'd be fine with drafting, so whoever it is I'm good.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Newhook scares me the most. I’d rather take the chance on the defencemen - Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider. I’d be taking Newhook between 15-20th, in that Suzuki area. To many better options at 10th than Newhook
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:36 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Bowen Byram
He’s from Alberta
Byram is from Cranbrook - he played his minor hockey in Alberta and moved to Lethbridge away from his family to be Coached by the Current Giants Coach, Mike Dyck.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm You’re right he’s from Cranbrook. I got confused by him playing Midget AAA in Lethbridge

OK, 1 kid from BC
BC Kids (2001) that could expect to be Drafted this year

Byram
Williams
Mutala
Basran
Leyh
Rizzo
Van De Leest
Rybinski
Ahac
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm Newhook scares me the most. I’d rather take the chance on the defencemen - Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider. I’d be taking Newhook between 15-20th, in that Suzuki area. To many better options at 10th than Newhook
I like Broberg and Soderstrom or Boldy. USNDP Coach just glowing over his top prospects on 1040 today. Looks like the best USNDP team ever assembled. I wonder if we will see some odd things happen in the top 10 and push talent down with teams reaching for position.

I love watching the draft - but I don't go with the notion you need to make a splash because its in Vancouver. Just make strong moves that work with the plan, I hope Jim does not feel pressured into taking a big gamble, gets fired and then we are further behind. I think with Hughes playing next year and generating excitement with the other young players it should be enough to keep fans interested.

This and a possible OJ debut and Demko growth.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

DHA wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:15 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:38 pm Newhook scares me the most. I’d rather take the chance on the defencemen - Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider. I’d be taking Newhook between 15-20th, in that Suzuki area. To many better options at 10th than Newhook
I like Broberg and Soderstrom or Boldy. USNDP Coach just glowing over his top prospects on 1040 today. Looks like the best USNDP team ever assembled. I wonder if we will see some odd things happen in the top 10 and push talent down with teams reaching for position.

I love watching the draft - but I don't go with the notion you need to make a splash because its in Vancouver. Just make strong moves that work with the plan, I hope Jim does not feel pressured into taking a big gamble, gets fired and then we are further behind. I think with Hughes playing next year and generating excitement with the other young players it should be enough to keep fans interested.

This and a possible OJ debut and Demko growth.
I listened to Wroblewski on 1040 also. Pretty remarkable to have so many prospects from the program who might end up being picked in the top 10.

Boldy sounds like he might be a version of Matthew Tkachuk, while the coach said Zegras might be even better than J. Hughes on the PP.

As I mentioned before, I think Soderstrom is a better overall Dman right now over Broberg and might also be better in the future. This is based on various scouting and from what I've watched on the interwebz. Here's a really good article comparing the two:

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/5/6/blo ... soderstrom

I'm just not sold on Broberg or Caulfield. They could have high ceilings, but the Bro's IQ and Caulfield's size makes me leery...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

@Sportsnet650

Zegras: Meeting with the Canucks was good. Really good guys - they asked what I knew about them. Obviously I've been watching Pettersson which was cool and trying to take things from his game.
9:39 AM - 5 Jun 2019

Mmm, interesting.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Zegras would be a fantastic add to the group we have....might even be able to step into the lineup next fall. Where is he ranked on the latest list?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:21 pm Zegras would be a fantastic add to the group we have....might even be able to step into the lineup next fall. Where is he ranked on the latest list?
Way higher than 10th. :(