2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:53 pm Any of the projected top 12 players look to be solid prospects. We're going to get a good asset...unless we take the runt. Hes primed to suck once he gets leaned on
Watching this Cup Finals and the two teams there not seeing how a 5’-6” stump would last out there. With Washington winning last year, size still matters. If he was 5’10” yeah maybe but he’s 5 foot fucking 6. Pass
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Benning is really sold on Spencer Knight, I can see him moving Demko for a young top six winger he likes and a later pick at the draft and making Knight the pick at 10. There are probably more than a few teams that would give up good assets to get Demko.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:07 am If Benning is really sold on Spencer Knight, I can see him moving Demko for a young top six winger he likes and a later pick at the draft and making Knight the pick at 10. There are probably more than a few teams that would give up good assets to get Demko.
This wouldn’t be a smart move. Furthermore more they aren’t getting a young top 6 forward and a pick for Demko.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

What they could get for Demko is debatable, but if not they could trade Markstrom and sign a journeyman for a couple years to tandem with Demko and make the Knight pick (if Benning really likes him as BPA at 10). The problem over the medium term is one of Demko or Markstrom needs to be exposed in the expansion draft. Trading one now to fill a team need and replacing him with Knight who would be exempt from the expansion draft is a sound move.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Unless we acquiring another pick via trade it's probably a smokescreen for Knight as I don't see us picking him with our current picks, I bet the Avs will take him with their 2nd 1st rounder @ #16.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Excerpt from Carol Schram's latest article;
The only player Jim Benning name-checked when he spoke with Ben Kuzma of The Province about the Canucks' combine interview process was goaltender Spencer Knight of the U.S. National Team Development Program. Should we read anything into that?
Spencer Knight; http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=209480
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Then, there's the Wingate Cycle Ergometer Test.

MONTREAL - While some prospects might be nervous about interviewing with teams at the NHL Combine, that wasn't the case for Ryan Poehling.

Poehling sat down with 29 of the League's 31 organizations on site for the annual event in May 2017, answering questions aplenty over several days in Buffalo.

"That part didn't scare me as much as the training stuff did. You'd think it would be the other way around," said Poehling. "Twenty-nine interviews is pretty crazy, going from room to room for like four days straight."

Meeting with the Canadiens' brass was a memorable experience for the St. Cloud State University product, so to speak.

He'll never forget entering the room for the all-important chat.

"I remember walking in and I feel like everyone on the pre-scouting staff is just jacked, just big," recalled Poehling. "I remember sitting down and instantly I was like 'Oh, jeez.' You try not to show it, but I definitely think they could tell."

Fast forward to the physical testing portion of the NHL Combine where the young centerman was partnered with fellow Minnesotan Casey Mittelstadt, who was his roommate for the event as well.

"We kind of did each exercise together and it was pretty funny because he got on the pull bar before me and he didn't do one pull up. I gave him a lot of grief for that," cracked Poehling, at his good buddy's expense. "I was up next and I was wondering 'Is it that hard?' I thought I could get eight or nine, but I only ended up getting five. I was just so shocked that he didn't get one. It was just a big joke. That's probably one of the things I remember from the whole fitness part of it."

"At the end of the 30-second part where you're going as hard as you can, they drop the weight. They've got a hype guy screaming at you and telling you to go faster and faster. I got off of it and went to the back room and there were like three guys throwing up," mentioned Poehling. "I lay down for like 30 minutes because I felt so light-headed. I didn't end up puking, though, which was nice."

Nevertheless, if Poehling could change anything about his stay in Western New York, better controlling his nerves would be at the top of the list.

"Looking back, it's so silly. When it came to the training stuff, leading up to it, I was so anxious going to bed. I wish I just wasn't. It's about doing what you can and it's all going to fall into place," explained Poehling. "It's fun to look back at it and joke about it. You take it so seriously, and it does matter to an extent, but you're so young, you have so much time to grow. If I had to do it again, I'd just enjoy the process more so than being so anxious about it."

That's the message Poehling would share with prospects going through the NHL Combine process this time around.

"You've got to be confident, especially in the interviews. You've got to realize that there's only 100 guys there, so it's pretty special to be in that group," emphasized Poeling. "They attack you pretty hard in some of the interviews with questions, but you've just got to stand your ground and be confident in what you believe in."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can see the Oilers picking Knight, or trading back and picking Knight, they need goaltending in a bad way. Colorado is definitely picking Knight if he is still there at 16. Or maybe Colorado makes a move with their 16th moving up to 10th draft him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 am Unless we acquiring another pick via trade it's probably a smokescreen for Knight as I don't see us picking him with our current picks, I bet the Avs will take him with their 2nd 1st rounder @ #16.
This makes sense, Benning may have gotten wind a team in front of him like Edmonton really likes Knight. The more reaching for your Caufields and Knights and Brobergs the better for us
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Neither Kakko or Hughes participated in the physical part of the combine;
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-scouting-c ... -307657014
.2019 NHL Scouting Combine results: Top 10 at each drill
.https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/6 ... s-caufield
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The more I read on Zegras, the more I like.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Hearing the #Canucks could bring in 2-3 potential draft picks next week to Vancouver for extended interviews. BCHL source tells me Victoria Grizzlies F Alex Newhook could be 1 of the them. Lots to like about Newhook who had 102 points this past season in Victoria.
12:06 PM - 3 Jun 2019
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 am The more I read on Zegras, the more I like.
Cozens would sure be nice to see fall to 10th.....lol.

He clocked in the top 10 or 20 in piles of the combine tests.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:48 pm Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Hearing the #Canucks could bring in 2-3 potential draft picks next week to Vancouver for extended interviews. BCHL source tells me Victoria Grizzlies F Alex Newhook could be 1 of the them. Lots to like about Newhook who had 102 points this past season in Victoria.
Newhook has nhl wheels.
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:48 pm Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Newhook is interesting, lots of potential and speed. I'd be fine with him as a pick.

For some reason I can't shake the thought that the Nucks will pick Soderstrom, though that's purely a gut feeling. We'll see in under 3 weeks.