Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:19 am...But we’re trying to work through it to get to a place where Alex feels good about what the new deal looks like and it makes sense for us. We’ll continue to talk to his agent and talk to Alex and hopefully we can find some common ground and get a deal done.
"The" new contract...that looks like theres no doot aboot it folks
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

......Height 5.10 -- Weight 192 [178 cm/87 kg
.......cool, he has his own video
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:04 am Canucks spent that money on better prospect talent in Teves, Rafferty and Keilly. Late round draft picks rarely pan out. It’s kind ridiculous the draft goes beyond 5 rounds. Brassard a 7th round pick
As was Henrik Zetterberg.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:04 am Canucks spent that money on better prospect talent in Teves, Rafferty and Keilly. Late round draft picks rarely pan out. It’s kind ridiculous the draft goes beyond 5 rounds. Brassard a 7th round pick
As was Henrik Zetterberg.
And Artemi Pararin didn't get drafted.

Point being, had Zetterberg gone undrafted and excelled in the SEL, NHL scouts would take notice.

Projecting hockey player development is tricky business. By the time you clear the first round (a round where there will be some misses), projecting is hard. You don't know who will slide off the curve. And by the time you get past the 3rd round, you aren't dealing with players that might slide off the curve, you are looking at players who need to change the arc of their development to the positive if they are to have a chance in the NHL.

Guys that are drafted in the 6th or 7th round aren't all that much better bets to have an NHL career than guys that would have been drafted in rounds 8 or 9. Whether in the NCAA or in Europe, these not-drafted players have a second opportunity. And if they can accelerate their development, they can have a chance. For some, like Brian Rafalski, it took 4 years of NCAA hockey and a few years in Finland before he got a shot. His play was always great, but no one could figure out how he could do it as a small guy with average foot speed (great stride, though).

Picking up guys like Tevez and Rafferty (or going back further, Tanev) is wonderful way to let the NCAA sort through years 18-22/23 and let those that increased the slope on their development arc since draft year rise to the top. I'd endorse cutting the draft to 5 rounds to create even more of these opportunities and encourage teams to leave open roster spots. I think you will find that the best of this group -- those who are or are really close to NHL ready by the time they are 22, often select teams with big holes and they know they can play. That tends to be bad teams. So I think that competitive balance would not be adversely affected.
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

If the draft ended at round 5, Ken Holland would have been out of a job years ago.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Province;
“I’m looking to add support for our young players so they can keep developing and get to another level,” Benning said Monday. “The thing I’m up against when I talk to other teams is they all want our best young players. I’m trying to rebuild and we’ve got pieces in place.

“They’re going to be our core group, so I’m not interested in moving them out.”
More;
Benning on trade options: “If I have to package guys I will, but I think Jake (Virtanen) is an important player for us. You have to be patient with this type of player. That’s not saying I wouldn’t move him, but it would have to be a good deal to include him.”
theprovince.com/sports...
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/b ... 1559601378
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:36 am Picking up guys like Tevez and Rafferty (or going back further, Tanev) is wonderful way to let the NCAA sort through years 18-22/23 and let those that increased the slope on their development arc since draft year rise to the top. I'd endorse cutting the draft to 5 rounds to create even more of these opportunities and encourage teams to leave open roster spots. I think you will find that the best of this group -- those who are or are really close to NHL ready by the time they are 22, often select teams with big holes and they know they can play. That tends to be bad teams. So I think that competitive balance would not be adversely affected.
See Justin Schultz for one. He went to Edmonton because they were desperately shallow on the blueline (and because Edmonton got Wayne to borderline tamper lol).....he wasn't ready for the role they required him to fill and it took him the better part of a decade to find his footing in the NHL after landing in Pittsburgh.

I think that's the downside to it. I mean, Vancouver was in the mix for Schultz, and we could really have used him in the bottom-3, which would have sheltered him and given him time and room to develop into becoming a NHL player. It would have been great for him and good for us.

In general an almost ready hockey player will not hit their potential joining a shitty team with big holes. There are exceptions to this, but unless the shitty team is already rounding the corner and has some good veteran leadership it's ends up a waste of talent. It's obvious, but players are gonna go where they are gonna play.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 7774731270

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/stat ... 3813234688

Benning on Edler talks : "We are going to keep talking with Edler's agent. Sometimes the different sides have different things they are trying to accomplish. We have not found common ground yet. We want Alex back and will try and figure it out." #Canucks

Benning on reports talks with Boeser are far apart : "Those reports are unfounded and not true. I don't know where that came from, we are in constant with his group. Contract talks have gone in the right direction, we want to get him signed." #Canucks

Benning on if there is a future for Tryamkin in Vancouver : "There sure is, I met his agent last week. We would love to have him back, look at the size and strength of the Blues blueline. He can be a big part of our group. We will keep talking to his agent." #Canucks

Benning on Eriksson comments criticizing Travis Green : "I am going to talk with Loui maybe this week and ask him about what he said and where he was going with those comments and I think Travis will want to as well." #Canucks

Benning on Zaitsev rumours : "Lots of conversations going on right now, we will consider all of our options. I am not going to comment on any specifics but we are looking at all of our options." #Canucks

So things aren't always the way you think. Damn media.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am Link to audio

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets ... ser-talks/
Soooo...

Jimmy is interested in top skilled UFAs this year rather than supportive vets like last year.

Interested in re-signing Schenn, depending on what happens the next 3 weeks.

(possible UFA signing or trade for dman might make Schenn obsolete)

Tryamkin to play 1 more year in Russia, in communication with agent to bring him back after that.

Pearson is a gritty top-6 forward who should excel in the playoffs.

Wants to add more gritty players.

Sees forward combos as...

?? – Petey – Boeser
Pearson – Bo - ??

Talks with Boeser are going well but it might take a while.

Juolevi will start skating next week, will be ready for camp, Jimmy strongly believes in him.

Untouchables are Petey, Boeser, Bo, Hughes, Demko... and possibly Juolevi?

Elsewhere Jimmy was quoted:
Kuzma writes that Boeser, Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes are untouchable on the team's roster and, while Benning appeared to add more names to that list, he also left the door open to parting with a former first-round pick.

“Thatcher Demko is a part of that (untouchable) group and Olli Juolevi has had injury problems, but has the ability to be a very good player for a long time,” Benning said. “If I have to package guys I will, but I think Jake (Virtanen) is an important player for us. You have to be patient with this type of player and the power forward game he plays.

“You watch the playoffs and you see the size, strength and speed and as he continues to mature, he’s going to be a valuable guy. That’s not saying I wouldn’t move him, but it would have to be a good deal to include him.

“If we could add somebody to play with Pettersson and Boeser or somebody to play with (Tanner) Pearson and Horvat - depending on what it takes - we’ll look at it.”
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch ... -1.1316903
____
Try to focus on someday.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Have been reading on twitter that the Canucks seem to be in on Zucker, sounds like Virtannen would be the centerpiece going the other way. Seems to fit the comments posted above. As in, trying to pump up his value to other teams.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

theman wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:14 pm Have been reading on twitter that the Canucks seem to be in on Zucker, sounds like Virtannen would be the centerpiece going the other way. Seems to fit the comments posted above. As in, trying to pump up his value to other teams.
The Canucks lack size and grit. Trading Virtanen for Zucker just does not make much sense. The Canucks might score a few more goals in the regular season but will also have the smallest team in the league.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

How bout Goldie + Hutton for Zucker?

Zucker - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Virtanen
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Jovocop wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 pm
theman wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:14 pm Have been reading on twitter that the Canucks seem to be in on Zucker, sounds like Virtannen would be the centerpiece going the other way. Seems to fit the comments posted above. As in, trying to pump up his value to other teams.
The Canucks lack size and grit. Trading Virtanen for Zucker just does not make much sense. The Canucks might score a few more goals in the regular season but will also have the smallest team in the league.
Zucker is a huge upgrade on virtanen right now, scary part is virtanen at age 27-28 could be a beast. I wonder if something along the lines of gaudette and a 2020 pick could be an option (even a first if it’s lottery protected). Adding Zucker and a guy like johanson in free agency would greatly improve our top 6. I think gaudette is expendable with Sutter still here and madden plus this years first still in the pipeline.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

I like that idea - make the draft 5 rounds then anyone who was draft eligible that year is free to sign as a free agent with any team that wants them as if they were drafted by them. Make the cut-off Jul 1, just before free agency opens. Any player not "signed" can return to the draft the following year.

The player would also have to be exempt from the contract limit as they would be treated as a drafted player.