Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chara’s Injury reported to be a broken jaw, doubtful for game 5. If he has surgery he’s done for the season, wants to see if he can delay surgery and play. Apparently he can barely talk.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 pm Chara’s Injury reported to be a broken jaw, doubtful for game 5. If he has surgery he’s done for the season, wants to see if he can delay surgery and play. Apparently he can barely talk.
mmm. mmm mmm
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:35 pm Laine’s Opening demand 10M x 8 years, or trade me. Intends to look over the market as an RFA if he doesn’t get his ask.
Cocky Finn, huh?
This is the kind of stuff that's gonna cause anther lock-out.
Teams, (owners), are going to want to start attaching minimum performance clauses, ie; certain amount of points
in certain amount of games or for a defense man a plus/minus thing or something.

Wont happen but this shit is destructive to the game. It will also cement a situation where as the league may have no alternative
but to significantly raise the cap floor. Some teams wont survive.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:35 pm Laine’s Opening demand 10M x 8 years, or trade me. Intends to look over the market as an RFA if he doesn’t get his ask.
Cocky Finn, huh?
This is the kind of stuff that's gonna cause anther lock-out.
Teams, (owners), are going to want to start attaching minimum performance clauses, ie; certain amount of points
in certain amount of games or for a defense man a plus/minus thing or something.

Wont happen but this shit is destructive to the game. It will also cement a situation where as the league may have no alternative
but to significantly raise the cap floor. Some teams wont survive.
I fail to see what raising the cap floor will do for situations like this.

It sucks for the fans of the team that has to go through this, but when it's a player like Laine, whoever lands him is going to regret it for at least a few years. Laine is a one-trick pony. He has an incredible shot, but he's not the greatest playmaker, he's not the fastest skater, his defensive game is definitely a question mark, and now he's adding the title of a money grubbing diva to his resume. So yeah, pay him $10M, and then watch as 12% of your total cap is swallowed up by a 60 point player with a shitty attitude.

It is what it is. GM's and owners just need to pull their heads out of their asses with players like this because they aren't building a winner and locking things in that will give their team an edge over the opponents, they are simply adding a boat anchor that will hamstring their successor after they get Chiarelli'd for their shitty decisions.

Laine isn't eligible for arbitration, and if he pulls a Nylander he won't complete a 4th season and therefore never will be. I hope Chevy shows some stones and offers Laine $6M firm for 3 years, and then doesn't budge. Let the prick sit out and watch his NHL dream die on the vine for a few years. Reject all trade offers. Eventually Laine will show up, sign a one year deal for peanuts just to get his eligibility, and Chevy can trade his sorry ass at the deadline or draft for a decent haul, because with the writing on the wall the fickle Fin will play his ass off to get a big payday the following year somewhere else.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 am
Contracts like the one Laine is seeking, and he'll probably get it, are going to keep driving up others.
Eventually, and quite soon, teams that stay as close to the floor as they can, will either have to find richer owners,
sell their teams, or fold. If the cap floor is raised to narrow the distance to the ceiling. There will at least be adjustment time.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hi Request is stupid and the Jets do need to hold firm.

This means EP will get $12M, Boeser $8 - $10M, the league is doomed again.

We are all going to die.........
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:12 am Hi Request is stupid and the Jets do need to hold firm.

This means EP will get $12M, Boeser $8 - $10M, the league is doomed again.

We are all going to die.........
Teams like Florida, Ottawa, maybe Jets, maybe more as time goes by.
I's not JUST the money, it's the money and the fact they will never get deep into the playoffs or even into them.

ever
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 am
Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 am
Contracts like the one Laine is seeking, and he'll probably get it, are going to keep driving up others.
Eventually, and quite soon, teams that stay as close to the floor as they can, will either have to find richer owners,
sell their teams, or fold. If the cap floor is raised to narrow the distance to the ceiling. There will at least be adjustment time.
If the floor goes up, then you force those teams that stay near the floor to spend more money sooner rather than later. I'm not sure how that buys you adjustment time.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Interesting number from Laine, because the offer sheet compensation at $10 mil is not the max (4 1sts). And if someone goes that high, it's likely that the Jets walk - especially since it's a decent chance that whoever takes him will have lottery picks.

He had a terrible year, I have a hard time seeing anyone go that high. Outside of a one-week stretch, he had 20 goals in the remaining 75 games.

$8.4 million is the cut-off for the lower compensation of a 1st/2nd/3rd, I think that is more likely and I think it wouldn't be a guarantee that Winnipeg matches but pretty likely.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Laine has made the comment in the past that Toronto would have been smarter to take him 1st overall instead of Matthews.

I'm betting he's angling for Arizona to offer sheet him so he can play with Matthews in 5 years when Auston is tired of Pig Town and bolts for home.

Amirite Doc? :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 am Interesting number from Laine, because the offer sheet compensation at $10 mil is not the max (4 1sts). And if someone goes that high, it's likely that the Jets walk - especially since it's a decent chance that whoever takes him will have lottery picks.

He had a terrible year, I have a hard time seeing anyone go that high. Outside of a one-week stretch, he had 20 goals in the remaining 75 games.

$8.4 million is the cut-off for the lower compensation of a 1st/2nd/3rd, I think that is more likely and I think it wouldn't be a guarantee that Winnipeg matches but pretty likely.
$8.4M is actually not a terrible hit for Laine. Realistically he should bounce back and be a 40 goal scorer. If someone signs him to that Chevy would still be wise to talk to said team and tell them, hey, I'm gonna match that and then trade this kid elsewhere at that price. Do you wanna play ball?

I'm sure he could get more than a 1/2/3 for Laine in trade. Probably a 1/2/3 and a decent prospect/player.

Right now though Chevy is probably already working the phones to see what he can get for his headcase in trade or sign and trade. Winnipeg doesn't need bad chemistry right now. They are in their window and they already sent Kane down the road because of chemistry issues, I can't see them being patient with Laine.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:55 am
$8.4M is actually not a terrible hit for Laine. Realistically he should bounce back and be a 40 goal scorer. If someone signs him to that Chevy would still be wise to talk to said team and tell them, hey, I'm gonna match that and then trade this kid elsewhere at that price. Do you wanna play ball?

I'm sure he could get more than a 1/2/3 for Laine in trade. Probably a 1/2/3 and a decent prospect/player.

Right now though Chevy is probably already working the phones to see what he can get for his headcase in trade or sign and trade. Winnipeg doesn't need bad chemistry right now. They are in their window and they already sent Kane down the road because of chemistry issues, I can't see them being patient with Laine.
Ya, at $8.4 Chevy probably matches, but he won't be happy at that price tag in terms of the limited cap room he has to work with and Connor's contract.

But if he matches, Chevy can't trade him for one year - I think? I think this came up after the Weber offer sheet when some of us were super hot to trot to acquire him.

Still, it could be a Niemi-esque power move - back Chevy into a corner with a reasonable offer sheet, then pick over his bones to get the player you are actually targeting - like Connor, trouba, etc.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/Prospects_Watch/sta ... 7062309889
NHL Prospects Watcher
‏@Prospects_Watch

Friedman on Nolan Patrick: “There has been rumblings that they have thought about trading him...I think his name could very well be out there, but I don’t get the sense that Chuck Fletcher is dealing from a position of: We have to get rid of this guy.” #Flyers
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:35 pm https://twitter.com/Prospects_Watch/sta ... 7062309889
NHL Prospects Watcher
‏@Prospects_Watch

Friedman on Nolan Patrick: “There has been rumblings that they have thought about trading him...I think his name could very well be out there, but I don’t get the sense that Chuck Fletcher is dealing from a position of: We have to get rid of this guy.” #Flyers
And look at the trend; http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=172189

Just 9 more years and he'll be a forty point guy.

Seriously, that's odd how similar his 2 years are.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bob Mckenzie:
BUF and Jeff Skinner, who is a pending UFA, are closing in on an eight-year extension.

It’s expected to have an AAV of $9M or thereabouts.
:o
There's Panarin's approx contract.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.