Canucks Contracts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Contracts

Post by Hockey Widow »

I’d love Edler back but I hope Bennington holds firm
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:35 pm Elliotte Friedman:
ALEX EDLER

EF: “I’ve heard some really interesting things about this whole situation. There is definitely a feeling this has gone off the rails. But one thing that people have always warned me about is the real deadline is coming up. If it’s not July 1 itself or June 23, when you can first start talking to players, this week is a big week for a lot of teams. They want to know where their guys are going, if they’re staying or going. I have heard San Jose if they lose some of their D. I still think there’s a chance that maybe Vancouver and him sort it out, but this is definitely more difficult than anybody expected it would be. And there are people convinced he will not be going back to Vancouver, but again, look, if he really wants to go back and they really want him there’s a path there. I hesitate to say 100 per cent yes or no, but there’s no question this has been a lot harder than everyone thought it would be.

“The issue is 1) Term, and 2) Expansion draft availability. They want him eligible for the expansion draft, he doesn’t want to be.”
That's an interesting bit of info.

My take is that if Edler really wants to be in Vancouver, and he thinks he's actually worth a contract, then he would take 2 years now and be UFA at the time of the expansion draft to save a protection spot and then re-sign his retirement contract in Vancouver like he wants to.

The fact that he's not willing to go a 2 year deal to make that happen tells me he himself thinks that he won't be worth the money he gets now when that time comes.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 pm I’d love Edler back but I hope Bennington holds firm
Ya, but I have no clue what Eddy is thinking these days. From his perspective; he knows this is his last contract, save 2 or 3 one year deals
involving moving around.
So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Edler camp is staying quite firm on something like 7mil. for 3, even 4; With protection.
That's why I said last week, doubt he's back.
My numbers may be a bit off but a 2 yr. deal ? No
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

If the cost of resigning Edler is protecting him in the draft, it better be a VERY cap friendly deal. Right now, from what I am reading if he isn't accepting a two year deal or a deal where he can be exposed I hope the Canucks walk away from him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:58 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:43 pm I’d love Edler back but I hope Bennington holds firm
Ya, but I have no clue what Eddy is thinking these days. From his perspective; he knows this is his last contract, save 2 or 3 one year deals
involving moving around.
So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Edler camp is staying quite firm on something like 7mil. for 3, even 4; With protection.
That's why I said last week, doubt he's back.
My numbers may be a bit off but a 2 yr. deal ? No
Why does it have to be? If he goes 4 years it's probably that way for sure, but go 2 years and play well and the Canucks would want him back on another 2 year deal at 35 years old, and if the cap hit was acceptable possibly even 3. They would for sure be willing to go year to year with him after that.

I do have to start wondering what it is in the Vancouver water when it comes to our "loyal hometown" defensemen. Hamhuis refused to budge when pitched the idea of going away for 2-4 months and then re-signing here for a few more years. On one hand they want to stay in Vancouver and play out their careers here, but on the other they won't give anything up to make it happen. I do understand the professional athlete's desire to get a guaranteed payday with longer term and a promised paycheque should they get injured, but when you've raked in the millions that guys like this have, it's pure greed that stops them up from sticking somewhere they say they want to be.

I'm not faulting them, just saying that their desire to stay put is pretty limited and easily bought when it comes to any real loyalty to Vancity.
Last edited by Meds on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Benning can always give Edler a NTC instead of a NMC, it's pretty close to the same thing anyway. Does Edler really think Seattle would pick a 35 year old injury prone dman in the expansion draft? I guess it's a risk but it's a pretty darn small one, and if they do he goes to work a couple of hour drive down the I5 for a year or two.

It's an odd negotiation, if Edler wants to be here that badly then he should take a 2 year deal, or perhaps a 3 year deal with a NMC. Benning holds all the cards here IMHO, he's got Hutton, Hughes and perhaps Juolevi behind Edler if he doesn't come back, and he can always go sign another LHD in free agency as well. I'm not sure 50-60 games of Edler a season is as beneficial as most seem to think, so if he's back fine, but if not it's not a huge issue.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm Benning can always give Edler a NTC instead of a NMC, it's pretty close to the same thing anyway. Does Edler really think Seattle would pick a 35 year old injury prone dman in the expansion draft? I guess it's a risk but it's a pretty darn small one, and if they do he goes to work a couple of hour drive down the I5 for a year or two.

It's an odd negotiation, if Edler wants to be here that badly then he should take a 2 year deal, or perhaps a 3 year deal with a NMC. Benning holds all the cards here IMHO, he's got Hutton, Hughes and perhaps Juolevi behind Edler if he doesn't come back, and he can always go sign another LHD in free agency as well. I'm not sure 50-60 games of Edler a season is as beneficial as most seem to think, so if he's back fine, but if not it's not a huge issue.
At the end of the day, my personal opinion is we'll be fine without him. Could actually be a God's send. Pains me to say that but the
idea of depending so hard on Eddy is, at this point, I gotta say, counter productive.
There is no question that extra cap space, (plus a bit) can replace him with a younger guy, eventually.
I was an advocate of punting Tanev in a deal but me thinks his value isn't what most canuck fans and media think.
So now, keep Chris and let someone else pay Edward.
Keep in mind, strengthening the offense with two top six forward, one for each line, makes us hard to defend and our D will
not be pressed as much, well not quite.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Let him walk. Re up Hutton to a contractbif it makes sense. If it doesn’t trade his ass at the draft. Sign Jordie Benn and scan the dumpster and the waiver wire. No big ass contracts to Myers or Gardiner.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning can always give him his NMC if he agrees in writing to waive for the expansion draft. Maybe Benning only wants to give him a modified NTC because he has tried to move him the past two TDD. If that's the case if I were Edler I wouldn't trust the deal.

Two years with whatever trade protection Edler wants or let him walk.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am
Boeser is 23 and projected by many to be a 70-80 point winger who should approach 40 goals on a regular basis over 82 games.

Skinner is 27 and has only hit that mark once, came close one other time, and he has maxed out twice at 63 points. Up until the rumor about him getting a possible offer from Buffalo for around $9M on an extension, I don't think I had ever heard of anyone putting Jeff Skinner in the salary range of Sidney Crosby.

That's not to say I disagree with your point. If Boeser is wanting that much it only makes sense that Skinner would get something similar.
I don't disagree with the reasoning, but you're bidding against potentially 30 other GM's for Skinner, and nobody else can bid on Boeser. Skinner was paid $6M last season and was 12th in the league in goals. He would have the worst agent in the NHL if he could only get an extra $500K out of that season.

I wouldn't give Skinner anywhere near $8.5-$9M per season on a long-term deal, but someone out there probably will.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If the Canucks lose Edler and replace him with Gardiner or Myers or Zaitsev or a combo of these guys, this team is in a shit heap of trouble. For all the heat Edler gets from some on here he is a legit top pairing guy and the only one on the roster due to Tanev being constantly injured.

He plays some of the toughest 25 minutes in the league. The guy is a horse. He is far and away the second best UFA d man and it isn’t close. I don’t want to see Elmer capitulate on that NMC but would Edler take two years at 7.5 per year? Then re up after the ED? It saves Elmer from himself and Edler gets big bucks and can end his career here.

If Edler walks a bottom five finish is pretty much a lock
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Edler really needs that security it appears. Almost as much as the canucks need him on the ice.
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I was thinking 14m over 2 years, or 19m over 3 with NMC for first 2 and NTC for final year. Something along those lines. Edler has to realize that for the good of the franchise, he needs to be exposed for the expansion draft. Perhaps go as high as 21m over 3, with the movement protection listed above?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

If we have to protect Edler who ends up being exposed? Joulevi stetcher, Hutton?
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

think he walks and we don't have that problem. This also means that we would most likely have to protect his replacement: Myers/Gardiner/Zaitsev