2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15201
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu May 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
Meh... Dude wants a razor thin tiny D and thinks Yryamkin and Woo will do all the heavy lifting.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
Dude wants to roll with:
Stetcher - 5ft 9 170
Hughes - 5ft 8 160
Olaf- 6ft 3 170
Soderstrom- 5ft 11 170
Woo- 6ft 200
Tryamkin- 6ft8 220
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm
ESQ wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am

What about if Ray Bourque hadn’t won a cup with an all star Avalanche team?
Ray won a Cup with an all-star Avalanche team playing 28:30/night at age 40. For 20 years prior to that he was playing for a middling Boston team, where he often lead the team - in scoring - as a defenceman. He also finished with more points - as a defenceman - than Joe, and a better playoff PPG than Joe.

I would say Joe's legacy has been hurt by playing on stacked , "all star" Sharks teams and never getting it done.
Agree to disagree.... zero common ground here
One parting question. Do you follow MLB?

How do you feel about Ken Griffey?
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3934
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hank » Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm

This is why I hope JB stays away from Caufield.

If anything, this year's playoffs didn't necessarily help the teams with the most speed and skill. There was still a huge element of size and physicality (as there always will be in playoff hockey).

And those smaller players (Johnson, Gaudreau, Ehlers, Nylander, etc) need to be able to play with some grit and balls because the refs don't have their whistles on them in the playoffs.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3934
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hank » Thu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm
One parting question. Do you follow MLB?

How do you feel about Ken Griffey?
Loved the Kid. Loved his sweet swing, loved his Gold Glove D.

True 5-star HOF who did it all in his prime and did it naturally when many of his peers were openly on steroids.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 pm

Hank wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm
One parting question. Do you follow MLB?

How do you feel about Ken Griffey?
Loved the Kid. Loved his sweet swing, loved his Gold Glove D.

True 5-star HOF who did it all in his prime and did it naturally when many of his peers were openly on steroids.
But he never won a championship


Best player I ever saw
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8871
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
Dude wants to roll with:
Stetcher - 5ft 9 170
Hughes - 5ft 8 160
Olaf- 6ft 3 170
Soderstrom- 5ft 11 170
Woo- 6ft 200
Tryamkin- 6ft8 220
Isnt hughes 5'10 180? Not that its much bigger or anything but still....makar looked damn good at 5'10 and around 185.

I think stetcher gets the boot fairly soon. QH is a far better small/skilled dman and teams cant roll with more than 1 very often and hope to win when it counts
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22181
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Strangelove » Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am
I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
What does he have to do with ehlers and nylander??? Are those 2 the benchmark for playoff suckitude now or something? Or is this a subconscious attempt to validate benning picking virtanen thus making him a better manager than gillis?
What are you... a mind-reader now Danny?

Love how the Dude doesn't even have to mention EXGMMG anymore to get a rise out of folks. :lol:
Are YOU defending the dude or subconsciously defending your own line in the sand about benning as well?

I've got a couch too doctor strangeglove :lol:
The Great Strangelove doesn't have a subconscious.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15201
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
Dude wants to roll with:
Stetcher - 5ft 9 170
Hughes - 5ft 8 160
Olaf- 6ft 3 170
Soderstrom- 5ft 11 170
Woo- 6ft 200
Tryamkin- 6ft8 220
Isnt hughes 5'10 180? Not that its much bigger or anything but still....makar looked damn good at 5'10 and around 185.

I think stetcher gets the boot fairly soon. QH is a far better small/skilled dman and teams cant roll with more than 1 very often and hope to win when it counts
You don’t get rid of Stetcher until you have other RHD to step in. Now both Hughes and Trymankin can play the right side but it’s not the way Benning or Green like to roll.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9424
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by rats19 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm

And Olli is 195 will be 210 in a couple
Getting old is not for the young...

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22181
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Strangelove » Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm

rats19 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm
And Olli is 195 will be 210 in a couple
Yes, the poster who keeps calling OJ "razor thin" enjoys lying about OJ's weight for some reason.

I can't recall the poster's name but he's the guy who ran 6'5" 220 pound Gudbranson out of town...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8871
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:35 pm
rats19 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 pm
And Olli is 195 will be 210 in a couple
Yes, the poster who keeps calling OJ "razor thin" enjoys lying about OJ's weight for some reason.

I can't recall the poster's name but he's the guy who ran 6'5" 220 pound Gudbranson out of town...
You mean off the glass gudbranson?
Pssst... your subconscious is showing
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8871
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:53 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:25 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
I listened to his presser when he was saying this and thought it wasn’t that long ago that the Sharks were a heavy team and got away with a lot of cheap shit. But having said that, he’s right.

I think Benning needs to be mindful of how many smurfs we already have.
Dude wants to roll with:
Stetcher - 5ft 9 170
Hughes - 5ft 8 160
Olaf- 6ft 3 170
Soderstrom- 5ft 11 170
Woo- 6ft 200
Tryamkin- 6ft8 220
Isnt hughes 5'10 180? Not that its much bigger or anything but still....makar looked damn good at 5'10 and around 185.

I think stetcher gets the boot fairly soon. QH is a far better small/skilled dman and teams cant roll with more than 1 very often and hope to win when it counts
You don’t get rid of Stetcher until you have other RHD to step in. Now both Hughes and Trymankin can play the right side but it’s not the way Benning or Green like to roll.
Stetcher is the obvious glaring deficiency on defense and benning has targeted the position accordingly. I'd guess his seat in the dressing room in one of at least 2 that will have new asses in them by october
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15201
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 pm

I remember thinking Stetcher and Trymankin made a good pairing. Just saying.
The only HW the Canucks need

Post Reply