2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:18 am Getzlaf - way better. A winner
Better career- no way. He had the fortune of having played on the same team as Pronger and Neidermayer who were in their prime and healthy.

You must think Mike Keane and Dave Bolland are better too.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:32 am
So he was the worst superstar on a team made up of superstars. Just making a Canadian Olympic team in a best on best scenario means your pretty fucking good.
Just ask 2006 Todd Bertuzzi and Jovo :wink:

For sure, Joe is the better individual player than either twin. He is/was a physical freak, with every tool in the box (except a heavy shot).

Had the twins won a cup, they'd have a greater legacy than No-Show Joe. Had Joe won a cup, he'd have cemented his legacy as one of the all-time greats.

But he didn't, and he'll likely finish his career with the same playoffs PPG as the Sedins. That's fine by me - great individual player, but he always left you feeling like he had more to offer in crunch time.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am Like him or lump him he’s #14 in all time scoring. I’d say he’s accomplished a fair bit more than very little.

He’s a guaranteed first ballot hall of famer. I guess guys like the twins and Iginla have accomplished very little by those lofty standards.
For me Blob its playing with humility. Name any of the greats. The majority have played the game with humility. Thornton has always come across as an arrogant prick. But I do agree he has a ton of accomplishments and should be a first ballot hall of fame. Not liking him does not take away from knowing he has been a great player, dominant for many years. He's earned the right to go to the hall of fame, have his number retired etc. I just don't want him to win a Cup.

I still don't like him.
All fair and great points. He certainly doesn’t have the class of Iginla or the twins.
Anyone who would tar Thornton's career with the "accomplished little" brush is probably a person that would still say that Marcel Dionne is one of the all-time greats. Just sayin.....

I think Joe is close to Iginla, but a few of his on-ice antics and comments to the press see him fall short. He has an off-colour sense of humor and just doesn't care if people like it or not. That's about the only thing that separates him from classy stars. And really, the scuttlebutt that comes out of more than just a few players from the late 80's to 2000 was that few rivaled the trash talk and mouth running of Mario Lemieux.....so Joe is in good company there.

There are VERY VERY FEW who are in the same category as the Sedins when it comes to class.

I used to hate Thronton, I thought he floated like Bertuzzi and took cheap shots when his team was down or when he got cleanly checked. His glove in Hank's face during the playoffs just pissed me off.....but we turfed them in 5 games. Since then the guy has grown on me, and the article Hank and Dank put out a while back about how much they respected Joe as a player, and a comment or two that Joe made about them returning that respect was enough for me to change my opinion of him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:32 am
So he was the worst superstar on a team made up of superstars. Just making a Canadian Olympic team in a best on best scenario means your pretty fucking good.
Just ask 2006 Todd Bertuzzi and Jovo :wink:

For sure, Joe is the better individual player than either twin. He is/was a physical freak, with every tool in the box (except a heavy shot).

Had the twins won a cup, they'd have a greater legacy than No-Show Joe. Had Joe won a cup, he'd have cemented his legacy as one of the all-time greats.

But he didn't, and he'll likely finish his career with the same playoffs PPG as the Sedins. That's fine by me - great individual player, but he always left you feeling like he had more to offer in crunch time.
What about if Ray Bourque hadn’t won a cup with an all star Avalanche team?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If he doesn't decide to call it quits and if he "really" wants another stab at it.
He can probably play virtually anywhere he wants.
He could do something off the wall and be a million dollar playing assistant coach.

Hey, this thread is passe so goofy shit cool.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I suppose Joe could join for a mill to the Pens, Caps or TBL for one last go.

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton

Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Thornton

Stamkos
Point
Thornton
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
What does he have to do with ehlers and nylander??? Are those 2 the benchmark for playoff suckitude now or something? Or is this a subconscious attempt to validate benning picking virtanen thus making him a better manager than gillis?
What are you... a mind-reader now Danny?

Love how the Dude doesn't even have to mention EXGMMG anymore to get a rise out of folks. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
What does he have to do with ehlers and nylander??? Are those 2 the benchmark for playoff suckitude now or something? Or is this a subconscious attempt to validate benning picking virtanen thus making him a better manager than gillis?

Love how the Dude doesn't even have to mention EXGMMG anymore to get a rise out of folks. :lol:
Who did he get a rise out of?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm Who did he get a rise out of?
Really? :eh:

He had Danny going off about Benning vs Gillis without saying boo.

So yeah, he got a rise out of Daniel and I apparently just got a rise out of you. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes I’m fucking angry bigly time :eh:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:53 pm Yes I’m fucking angry bigly time :eh:
No, you're irritated. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am
Ray won a Cup with an all-star Avalanche team playing 28:30/night at age 40. For 20 years prior to that he was playing for a middling Boston team, where he often lead the team - in scoring - as a defenceman. He also finished with more points - as a defenceman - than Joe, and a better playoff PPG than Joe.

I would say Joe's legacy has been hurt by playing on stacked , "all star" Sharks teams and never getting it done.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Peter DeBoer said the "two hardest, heaviest teams are in the final."

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... only-thing

But also you need that sprinkle of the smaller but super skilled players to help the big heavy players, healthy balance.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:53 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am
Ray won a Cup with an all-star Avalanche team playing 28:30/night at age 40. For 20 years prior to that he was playing for a middling Boston team, where he often lead the team - in scoring - as a defenceman. He also finished with more points - as a defenceman - than Joe, and a better playoff PPG than Joe.

I would say Joe's legacy has been hurt by playing on stacked , "all star" Sharks teams and never getting it done.
Agree to disagree.... zero common ground here
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Retire ffs

Are YOU defending the dude or subconsciously defending your own line in the sand about benning as well?

I've got a couch too doctor strangeglove :lol:
If you need air...call it in