2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am Like him or lump him he’s #14 in all time scoring. I’d say he’s accomplished a fair bit more than very little.

He’s a guaranteed first ballot hall of famer. I guess guys like the twins and Iginla have accomplished very little by those lofty standards.
For me Blob its playing with humility. Name any of the greats. The majority have played the game with humility. Thornton has always come across as an arrogant prick. But I do agree he has a ton of accomplishments and should be a first ballot hall of fame. Not liking him does not take away from knowing he has been a great player, dominant for many years. He's earned the right to go to the hall of fame, have his number retired etc. I just don't want him to win a Cup.

I still don't like him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am Like him or lump him he’s #14 in all time scoring. I’d say he’s accomplished a fair bit more than very little.

He’s a guaranteed first ballot hall of famer. I guess guys like the twins and Iginla have accomplished very little by those lofty standards.
For me Blob its playing with humility. Name any of the greats. The majority have played the game with humility. Thornton has always come across as an arrogant prick. But I do agree he has a ton of accomplishments and should be a first ballot hall of fame. Not liking him does not take away from knowing he has been a great player, dominant for many years. He's earned the right to go to the hall of fame, have his number retired etc. I just don't want him to win a Cup.

I still don't like him.
All fair and great points. He certainly doesn’t have the class of Iginla or the twins.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am

I still don't like him.
All fair and great points. He certainly doesn’t have the class of Iginla or the twins.
Or even his team-mate Burns. Now there's a class act. He's 34 and just had the best year of his career, 83 in 82.
Five years in a row with "Perfect" attendance>>And, as a defense man! Heart and soul of that team.
We can only dream of having someone that could do that. Good guy too.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 am To his credit, he's managed to shake the No-Show Joe title, but the reality remains that he had one of the best skillsets in NHL history and accomplished very little.
:lol: that's funny. 2x World Cup Gold, World Junior Gold, Olympic Gold. Art Ross, Hart Trophy. He's like the Sedins, but better.

He could have not scored a single goal and be within 5 points of our highest scoring player ever.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I started hating Thornton when he was playing for Boston.....don’t remember the game or who they were playing, but here is this big ass guy, crushes a player from another team against the boards and starts to skate away. The downed player LIGHTLY swings his stick around and barely touches old joe, who screams in pain and flies through the air like he’d been kneecapped. I hate his ridiculous big ass beard, makes him look like a clown. Yes I hated the glove up the nose of sedin, that was the icing I guess. Just play the game honestly asshat.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 am
:lol: that's funny. 2x World Cup Gold, World Junior Gold, Olympic Gold. Art Ross, Hart Trophy. He's like the Sedins, but better.
Exactly, pretty light on the team accomplishments.

I don't know if you watched the Olympics where he got his gold medal, but he was the most useless player on that team.

Anyway, this was surely his last best chance. He'll get into the hall as another regular season hero, which is fine, but he won't go down as one of the greats. It's just him and Marcel Dionne who were able to score over 1400 points and not win a cup,I think that says it all.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:14 pm

I don't know if you watched the Olympics where he got his gold medal, but he was the most useless player on that team.

Anyway, this was surely his last best chance. He'll get into the hall as another regular season hero, which is fine, but he won't go down as one of the greats. It's just him and Marcel Dionne who were able to score over 1400 points and not win a cup,I think that says it all.
Considering the twins, between them, got like what 2100 points I'd say Dionne and Thornton getting over 1400 points each is an accomplishment. Oh and the twins don't have a Cup either but they'll be in the Hall of Fame.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Thornton. I just recognize he has been a pretty good player throughout his career.

Its like Marchand. I hate the puke but would love him on my team. I mean I'd love him if he was my puke. :oops:
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Good point to "bring up".
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

So he was the worst superstar on a team made up of superstars. Just making a Canadian Olympic team in a best on best scenario means your pretty fucking good.

Don’t get the hate for the guy. I know a guy that had a cup of tea in SJ when he was the Captain. Said he went out of his way to welcome the younger guys to camp (“here’s my Range Rover, dinners at my place”), even the ones without a shot in hell of making the team.

He’s got far more class than guys like Kesler and Marchand. The reason people hate him around here is because his teams were often better than ours and he was often sticking it to us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
What does he have to do with ehlers and nylander??? Are those 2 the benchmark for playoff suckitude now or something? Or is this a subconscious attempt to validate benning picking virtanen thus making him a better manager than gillis?
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Players don’t win cups on their own.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am I just think he’s overrated. They call him Regular Joe for a reason. Sucks post season like Ehlers and Nylander. Give me Getzlaf in his prime over Joe in his prime any day of the week.

Retire ffs
What does he have to do with ehlers and nylander??? Are those 2 the benchmark for playoff suckitude now or something? Or is this a subconscious attempt to validate benning picking virtanen thus making him a better manager than gillis?
Lol the guy has 133 points in 179 playoff games. Those are solid stats. EVERYONE’s stats drop off a bit in the playoffs.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Getzlaf - way better. A winner
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 am

Retire ffs
validate benning picking?
Validation not required anymore. Those who slammed Jimbro for picking Virtanen instead $10.2 million William or $6 Million Ehlers have woken up, finally.