2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9825
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by micky107 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 pm

...Image
.
Image......... 5-1 Blues
"evolution"

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9825
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by micky107 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:51 pm

"evolution"

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15201
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am

Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am

I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am
Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
At some point you just need to acknowledge that injuries are a part of hockey, and just like you need a lucky bounce or (in the Sharks case) a lucky call (or three), you need to stay healthy if you have much hope of winning. You can't be down that many talented players and expect to win, not in this age of parity.

I see a few of comparables between them and what happened to the Canucks in 2011 injury-wise, although we were even more banged up. I'm still impressed the Canucks were able to go to cup-finals, Game 7, with Samuelsson (tendon and hernia), Kesler (groin and hip), Higgins (broken foot), Erhrhoff (shoulder), Hamhuis (groin), Raymond (back), Edler (hand) out or crippled with serious injuries.

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15817
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am

I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15817
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 am
Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am
Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
At some point you just need to acknowledge that injuries are a part of hockey, and just like you need a lucky bounce or (in the Sharks case) a lucky call (or three), you need to stay healthy if you have much hope of winning. You can't be down that many talented players and expect to win, not in this age of parity.

I see a few of comparables between them and what happened to the Canucks in 2011 injury-wise, although we were even more banged up. I'm still impressed the Canucks were able to go to cup-finals, Game 7, with Samuelsson (tendon and hernia), Kesler (groin and hip), Higgins (broken foot), Erhrhoff (shoulder), Hamhuis (groin), Raymond (back), Edler (hand) out or crippled with serious injuries.
Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am
I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
I’m not a massive fan either. But to hate him for something that happened six or seven years ago and was pretty minor seems hilarious
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am
Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
Minimally. Basically they highlighted our lack of depth, but even when healthy the team sucked. Blaming injuries for the results over the past couple years would be a very stupid thing to attempt.

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 15817
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Chef Boi RD » Wed May 22, 2019 6:27 am

Prior to Edler slamming his face on the ice the Canucks were playing good hockey a tail spin proceeded after Edler going down. When you’re two best D-men (Tanev) go down with long term injuries that has to have some kind of an impact on a young team, no? Or do the Sharks only get the mulligan here? A healthy season here, this team could have been a contender for those wild card spots giving this young team invaluable playoff experience moving forward
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22181
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Strangelove » Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am
I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
I've hated him since Boston...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 22181
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Strangelove » Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am
Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
Minimally. Basically they highlighted our lack of depth, but even when healthy the team sucked. Blaming injuries for the results over the past couple years would be a very stupid thing to attempt.
Teams often lack depth in a rebuild and Canucks have been one of the most injured teams the past two seasons.

It's "very stupid" to not conclude Canuck injuries affected the team's "results" in my oh so humble opinion. :D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8246
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Cornuck » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 am

Strangelove wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am
I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
I've hated him since Boston...
Can't say I hated him for that, but more disappointed in the refs' and the Canucks' reaction to it. It was playoff hockey, and he did what he had to do to get a Cup - our guys didn't.

Still - with that said, he's not a favourite of mine, and if he played for Vancouver, it would not be anywhere close to the embarrassment of Messier.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by ESQ » Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am
I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
I’m not a massive fan either. But to hate him for something that happened six or seven years ago and was pretty minor seems hilarious
I saw him in 2010 at an Olympic game, I think the squeaker against Switzerland where Brodeur was awful, and I remember watching Joe float around and I thought to myself, "thank God I don't have to cheer for that guy year-round".

To his credit, he's managed to shake the No-Show Joe title, but the reality remains that he had one of the best skillsets in NHL history and accomplished very little.

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16254
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am

Like him or lump him he’s #14 in all time scoring. I’d say he’s accomplished a fair bit more than very little.

He’s a guaranteed first ballot hall of famer. I guess guys like the twins and Iginla have accomplished very little by those lofty standards.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Post Reply