The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm Well I think the point is that Benning has done a decent job keeping picks, even though he has trade a slew he has recovered a slew. Sure it could be better but it’s not as dire as some would suggest.

Yes, the NHL gifted us a 2nd. Let’s not count that though.
He’s remained around average when it comes to number of draft picks, which some find disappointing for a rebuilding team that’s gone through massive turnover since he arrived. That’s all.
One must take into account two things.

Gillis horrendous handle of the franchise of locking in vets especially into NTC's.

AND a owner hellbent on making the playoffs as that's what was Benning's first GM job when he was hired after 2014.....thus to make the 2015 playoffs as per requested of the bosses. ( think of it, a former GM locked up the vets with NTC Sedins - a fan favourite - future HHOF - gotta give them one last run...but failed.

then was left of all the No-Trade-Clauses contracts of Gillis to deal with of all the 2011 vets, with no easy trades of the vets there - consequently which gave Benning little value to deal with, hell even Alex Edler is still flexing his NTC from Mike Gillis.
Literally none of this is relevant to this discussion.

Benning DID get picks in return for a lot of players (Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Lack). How he used (or didn’t) use them, and what we have to show for those moves, is where people find fault.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 amLiterally none of this is relevant to this discussion.
I believe you have the worst reply in the history of CanucksCorner..........& that's pretty bad...basically didn't have no quality execution, no refutable evidence of anything.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 am

Literally none of this is relevant to this discussion.

Benning DID get picks in return for a lot of players (Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Lack). How he used (or didn’t) use them, and what we have to show for those moves, is where people find fault.
Consider the source
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm Baubles showing his math

I have to dumb it down for the mouth breathers
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 amLiterally none of this is relevant to this discussion.
I believe you have the worst reply in the history of CanucksCorner..........& that's pretty bad...basically didn't have no quality execution, no refutable evidence of anything.
:lol: really, that's the worst? Ouch!

How's this:

Gillis horrendous handle of the franchise of locking in vets especially into NTC's.
Benning was able to trade Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Burrows and Hansen, all of whom had some form of trade protection. He failed to move Hamhuis, and Edler, but these guys would have gotten NTC's from any GM, especially considering how good their AAV were.
AND a owner hellbent on making the playoffs as that's what was Benning's first GM job when he was hired after 2014.....thus to make the 2015 playoffs as per requested of the bosses. ( think of it, a former GM locked up the vets with NTC Sedins - a fan favourite - future HHOF - gotta give them one last run...but failed.
This might explain why he targeted Bonino+Sbisa in the Kesler trade, or the Miller and Vrbata signings, but it does not explain the brutal Gudbranson deal, or the desire to flush picks for the likes of Prust, Pouliot, Pedan, Larsen etc. etc.
then was left of all the No-Trade-Clauses contracts of Gillis to deal with of all the 2011 vets, with no easy trades of the vets there - consequently which gave Benning little value to deal with, hell even Alex Edler is still flexing his NTC from Mike Gillis.
Already dealt with. If we were talking about the return for some of these guys I would concede that Benning was challenged to find good value. But the fact is he was able to move them, often for picks and prospects. That he turned around and pissed away most of the returns he did get, that's all on Benning.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:37 pm Well I think the point is that Benning has done a decent job keeping picks, even though he has trade a slew he has recovered a slew. Sure it could be better but it’s not as dire as some would suggest.

Yes, the NHL gifted us a 2nd. Let’s not count that though.
He’s remained around average when it comes to number of draft picks, which some find disappointing for a rebuilding team that’s gone through massive turnover since he arrived. That’s all.

Post of the Century!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead can be a good poster when he doesn’t let his Benning Hate overide his rational side.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 am
Island Nucklehead can be a good poster when he doesn’t let his Benning Hate overide his rational side.
Since we're finding the good in people... RoyalDude can be a good poster (often in the draft/prospects thread) when his eyes aren't glued shut with Jimbo Juice.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 am
:lol: really, that's the worst? Ouch!

How's this:

Benning was able to trade Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, Burrows and Hansen, all of whom had some form of trade protection. He failed to move Hamhuis, and Edler, but these guys would have gotten NTC's from any GM, especially considering how good their AAV were.
This might explain why he targeted Bonino+Sbisa in the Kesler trade, or the Miller and Vrbata signings, but it does not explain the brutal Gudbranson deal, or the desire to flush picks for the likes of Prust, Pouliot, Pedan, Larsen etc. etc.
Already dealt with. If we were talking about the return for some of these guys I would concede that Benning was challenged to find good value. But the fact is he was able to move them, often for picks and prospects. That he turned around and pissed away most of the returns he did get, that's all on Benning.
maybe it wasn't the worst, now you have something to strive for
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don Sweeney (Bruins), Don Waddell (Hurricanes) and Doug Armstrong (Blues)
nominated for GM of the year.

all made a lot of trades, some of them involving highly drafted players I might add.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 pm Don Sweeney (Bruins), Don Waddell (Hurricanes) and Doug Armstrong (Blues)

all made a lot of trades, some of them involving highly drafted players I might add.
Big difference is the players they got back were actually good.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:19 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 pm Don Sweeney (Bruins), Don Waddell (Hurricanes) and Doug Armstrong (Blues)

Why the new core (petey/boeser/horvat/hughes) will have to do the dirty work from here on out IN.

beefing up the values of all the middle type players, what Kane/Toews, Crosby/Malkin, etc have been doing to get a good return.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This good:

- Two 4ths for Shutdown
- 10th overall for the next Lucic and Erhoff
- 2nd and Connauton for rental ROY
- 2nd, 3rd for Bernier
- 1st, Grabner, Bernier for Buyout
- two vets on expiring contracts for Buyout Booths long term contract
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am

This good:

- Two 4ths for Shutdown
- 2nd, 3rd for Bernier
Not gillis again....dude....?

I think its safe to say you've taken this to an unhealthy level.

Heres docs card....call his reception and book a series of appts
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:37 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am

This good:

- Two 4ths for Shutdown
- 2nd, 3rd for Bernier
Not gillis again....dude....?

I think its safe to say you've taken this to an unhealthy level.

Heres docs card....call his reception and book a series of appts
It’s all Gillis’s fault.