US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per »

Trump's tariffs already cost the USA 1.4 billion per month, and now he wants to step it up even further... :shock:

http://www.princeton.edu/~reddings/pape ... P13564.pdf
This paper explores the impacts of the Trump administration’s trade policy on prices and welfare. Over the course of 2018, the U.S. experienced substantial increases in the prices of intermediates and final goods, dramatic changes to its supply-chain network, reductions in availability of imported varieties, and complete passthrough of the tariffs into domestic prices of imported goods. Overall, using standard economic methods, we find that the full incidence of the tariff falls on domestic consumers, with a reduction in U.S. real income of $1.4 billion per month by the end of 2018.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I don't know, the whole refusing to release taxes things seems completely absurd to me, but then I'm Swedish.

Back in the 18th century a power struggle between the king and parliament resulted in parliament passing legislation in 1766 that all documents issued by or received by government authorities are to be considered public documents, unless they fit very narrow criteria (such as national security) for becoming classified. This caused quite some stir when Sweden joined the EU and a lot of other European governments were shocked to find out that letters they sent to the Swedish government were readily available to all Swedish journalists.

Anyway, tax fillings are no different. You send them to the Swedish tax authorities, which is a government Agency, and thus they become public. Anyone can find out what anyone has filed, if you are willing to take the time and don't mind your neighbours finding out that you have asked about them, because that is of course the one provision; you asking to get to see the documents is of course also a request that will become public.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Anyway, that someone in a government position can refuse to tell what they filed is just completely foreign to me.
How can anyone accept a government with such a profound lack of transparancy? :eh:

All leading politicians in Sweden have journalists digging through their financial records on a regular basis, and there are a few scandals every year. Helps keep them honest.
Last edited by Per on Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Tax returns in Canada and the US are confidential.

The US has a sad tradion of using the Internal Revenue Agency as a political tool. Last publicly known case was Obama officials at the IRS selectively going after Tea Party organizations.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am Tax returns in Canada and the US are confidential.
Apparently. But do you think that's a good thing? I like transparency in government. Keep the politicians in check.

I mean, I work for the government, and right now we have a reporter investigating us at work. All the documents they ask for (and we have to keep records of all incoming and outgoing documents) we have to hand over asap, preferrably the same day, if possible. It increases our workload, and there will certainly be some articles about stuff they've found that indicates wrongdoing from our part, but that's the way it should be.

Independent media and transparency in government are important parts of a well functioning democracy.
The idea that we should refuse to hand over the documents they ask for is preposterous and outrageous.
People in government should have nothing to hide from the public, who are in fact our employer.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 am
Topper wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am Tax returns in Canada and the US are confidential.
Apparently. But do you think that's a good thing? I like transparency in government. Keep the politicians in check.

I mean, I work for the government, and right now we have a reporter investigating us at work. All the documents they ask for (and we have to keep records of all incoming and outgoing documents) we have to hand over asap, preferrably the same day, if possible. It increases our workload, and there will certainly be some articles about stuff they've found that indicates wrongdoing from our part, but that's the way it should be.

Independent media and transparency in government are important parts of a well functioning democracy.
The idea that we should refuse to hand over the documents they ask for is preposterous and outrageous.
People in government should have nothing to hide from the public, who are in fact our employer.
How you going to lie, cheat and steal if income taxes were public documents?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 am

You are comparing internal government documents to private financial records. Tax records are considered personal information here and I strongly support that.

This game of politicians revealing their tax records is nothing more than silly virtue signalling.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... tGjbZlx6jA
A century ago, the Teapot Dome corruption scandal engulfed Harding’s administration, spurring Congress to pass legislation that finally reclaimed its right to review private tax returns. It was a solid law, and remains so today: The legislative branch has the power to tax and spend, and the review of personal tax returns falls well within its rights and obligations
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Same thing with the Mueller report...

Trump claims it completely exonerates him and that he will use every means available to him to prevent people from reading it.

Is it just me, or does something smell fishy? :hmmm:

T-r-a-n-s-p-a-r-a-n-c-y. It's a good thing.

Keeps politicians honest. :drink:

https://www.transparency.org/cpi2018
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 am https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... tGjbZlx6jA
A century ago, the Teapot Dome corruption scandal engulfed Harding’s administration, spurring Congress to pass legislation that finally reclaimed its right to review private tax returns. It was a solid law, and remains so today: The legislative branch has the power to tax and spend, and the review of personal tax returns falls well within its rights and obligations
:thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

there is the matter of "legitimate legislative purpose"

The teapot dome laws were changed after Nixon used the IRS and tax returns to target foes.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Stupid trade war escalated since Trump announced raised Tariff on Chines goods four Days ago. Now the Chinese respond.

https://www.ft.com/content/61842c96-757 ... 18c0ea0201

I hear the Chinese also plan to cancel all purchases of US agricultural products, which would be a severe blow to the MidWest.
And Boeings. They plan to stop buying Boeings.

Anyway, worst case scenario - global recession.
Best case? Stymied growth and increased inflation in USA and China, ie just the two countries directly involved.

It's not very likely that the financial problems will remain local though. With two such big players being involved the fallout will most likely spread to the rest of the planet. :(
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

They already stopped buying Canadian rape seed.

Trudeau's response, give money to rape seed farmers.

How about he work on trade negotiations instead of just throwing tax payers money around every time there is a crisis?

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hes too busy punishing his tiny testes by crossing his legs with feminist authority
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Russia meddling in the upcoming European elections:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/worl ... e=Homepage

Worst case: we get our own Trump. :crazy:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 am Russia meddling in the upcoming European elections:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/worl ... e=Homepage

Worst case: we get our own Trump. :crazy:
Lol, you know damn well Russia, China, and America have always meddled in foreign elections...
____
Try to focus on someday.