How to fix the Canucks defense?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: How to fix the Canucks defense?

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:18 pm Beach has ZERO NHL games played? lol

Yes Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle are overpaid, but obviously more so Eriksson being dumb overpaid, but between Eriksson, Sutter and Beagle they have a combined:
2,132 NHL games played, with 152 playoff games.

These guys are pro's and are better than all the career AHLers who couldn't make it, that's the mature way to think about it anyways, they have outworked all the has-been's while Beags has won a Cup championship recently while being one of the hardest workers of the bunch with the Caps, even Ovechkin misses his work ethic and never say die attitude. Beagle is a leader and when this team reaches the playoffs - he and Roussel will be the hardest workers up front.
Thats just it Skyo, you need a balance. Id still like to see Louie gone this year if we can make it happen.

But it brings us back to the debate about whether this is a playoff team.

Yes, if we make the playoffs we will benefit greatly from the vets.

If we don't then the argument, I think, goes, we need to get rid of them, get more picks, let the kids play.

We saw in Utica that really don't have forwards we can call up, reliably. Im still of the opinion it was a mistake to trade Dahlen. No one else on forward really looks ready for the NHL. On D we have a few players, Sautner and Brisebois, who showed they can fill in when needed. We also sign Leves and Gifford (sp) who showed they can play at the NHL level.
But we still need vets and the cost in FA is high for those guys. I have no problem with Rousell or Beagle. Im so so on Sutter. Id love Louie gone. If Benning can trade Sutter and Louie then that's a great off season. But he will have to fill those roster spots and we don have anyone capable of filling in for them.

So welcome to another off season of free agency.

On D so much depends upon Hughes first year and the development of Juolevi. If they both show they are top four in a couple of years it makes decisions clearer. Sign Edler for two years. Sign Hutton 2 years. Deal with it all after the expansion draft.
I disagree Hdubz, my lady, see the sabres and oilers who tanked the shit away to try to get McDavid so much so they've instilled so much losing mentality their teams are fucking terrible....it's like they can't shake that losing mentality, it's why ROR was happy to leave the Sabres.

But like everything in life, yes balance is key, can't have too many vets, can't have too little, having just sutter, beagle and roussel is probably just right. You even see Quinn Hughes really respecting Schenn and his never say die attitude, laying his life on the line to earn his way back into the NHL, that's how leaders are born seeing that 110% effort, it's infectious.

When players see the teams leaders not in it 100% and mentally not it, it seeps into em, but when everyone see's the leaders of the team laying their life on the line, busting their ass to help the team win, it seeps into the blood of everyone on the team....why Ovechkin etc love the Beagles of the world, why Spezza etc love Roussel, their 100% effort each and every game is infectious to the team. Why Bo Horvat has to work harder than Roussel and Beagle next season to earn his captaincy, he has to blood/sweat and tear that C, that's why TG had him work his tail off this past season.

I mean some of you must have played pickup hockey, you know who the hardest workers are, and who aren't, playing on a team with talented and players who give their all is really infectious to want you to play better.

Eriksson needs to be moved, his words in Sweden are unacceptable bringing down the coach Travis Green in Sweden? nah he needs to go...otherwise other players will see..."Hey if Loui can bark his mouth at the team/coach in another country...why can't I?" Loui Eriksson has said far too much shit while being paid $6M per to be staying on the team from 2019/20 onwards.

He's now a cancer, can't have that bullshit stay otherwise get a new GM to have balls to move him out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 pm I was never happy about the Dahlen trade. Stinks of personal differences more than a hockey move and we appear to have got the shit end of the stick
Yeah, things aren’t trending well for Utica. A few younger players had really awful seasons, basically stagnated. Now it’s possible that’s all on them and JB just didn’t pick good players, but I suspect there’s either a communication breakdown somewhere (too much emphasis on winning AHL games), or a lack of attention/investment from the Canucks (cutting costs like they have been in management).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:35 am
Like a moth to the flame, and the flame is a raging dumpster fire of depression and substance abuse. This is the Dudes relationship with Gillis, he just can't stop, despite the pain it causes him.
:lol:
Friday night last night probably payday for the Dude. I’d imagine he got just shitfaced drunk and headed to the DTES.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I wonder why LE had to be in Sweden to voice his opinion?
Last edited by Mickey107 on Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 am
I mean some of you must have played pickup hockey, you know who the hardest workers are, and who aren't, playing on a team with talented and players who give their all is really infectious to want you to play better.

Eriksson needs to be moved, his words in Sweden are unacceptable bringing down the coach Travis Green in Sweden? nah he needs to go...otherwise other players will see..."Hey if Loui can bark his mouth at the team/coach in another country...why can't I?" Loui Eriksson has said far too much shit while being paid $6M per to be staying on the team from 2019/20 onwards.

He's now a cancer, can't have that bullshit stay otherwise get a new GM to have balls to move him out.
I'm surprised there has been no news from the Canucks all week regarding his puke. Hopefully that means he's toast.
The worst possible example of a team leader.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/05/04/why- ... vis-green/

The Vancouver Canucks have paid Eriksson $23 million—mostly in signing bonuses—to score 32 goals and 76 points through 196 games. That’s a rate of 0.39 points-per-game. It’s also a rate of $719K per goal.

Plenty more in the article....
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He strikes me more as someone who hangs out with the oily faced dude from behind the canucks bench. Sitting on plastic chairs in one of their grape gardens getting fucked up on shitty vino until later when one of them stubles down to the cuntina for the grappa.
If you need air...call it in
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Tryamkin is a huge mystery these days. After a hot first half last year, he fizzled and fell into the coaches dog house. This year his numbers were pedestrian and there was little in the way of scouting reports on his progress. The fact he wasn't even invited to play in the Worlds is not encouraging.

I suspect Benning will take a look at him next year, the 3rd and final year of his deal, and make a decision on Tryamkin's future with the Canucks from there.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:57 pm I was never happy about the Dahlen trade. Stinks of personal differences more than a hockey move and we appear to have got the shit end of the stick
Well, he kind of forced it, the question is why? Was it a Cull? Was it that he was pissed about not playing with his friend Pete?
Yet he goes away and says he'll be happy to play in the minors when he arrives at his new, (soon to be rebuilding), team.
Hey! We might get to see him play next year.
I think he did not get along with the coach. Also, his dad never played a single AHL game, and his best friend Petey never did either. And Jonathan was supposedly the better player, I mean one year older and further along on the route to NHL greatness, when he and Petey were on the same line.

I can see that it must have been frustrating, and then on top of that the coach didn't seem to like him.

But from what I understood Dahlén was shocked that he was traded. My understanding is that he talked to his agent about being frustrated that he didn't get a shot with the Big Club, and that he felt the AHL stint was not helping him in his development as a player. Nothing at all about wanting a trade. But then his agent tried to play hardball with the team and it all backfired.

So basically, Dahlén and his AHL coach not really getting along and then poor communication between player-agent-team.

Too bad though. I like Dahlén as a player - he can skate sideways just like his dad :lol: - and he and Petey had some really good chemistry when playing together in Timrå.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:46 am
Yeah, things aren’t trending well for Utica. A few younger players had really awful seasons, basically stagnated. Now it’s possible that’s all on them and JB just didn’t pick good players, but I suspect there’s either a communication breakdown somewhere (too much emphasis on winning AHL games), or a lack of attention/investment from the Canucks (cutting costs like they have been in management).
I think it's poor coaching.

Dahlén complained about being yelled at when he took chances on the ice, but both his and Petey's game is based on playing a creative and slightly irregular game. He has never been aiming at becoming the next Samuel Påhlsson.

Sweden used to put too much emphasis on playing it safe, now we try to encourage our juniors to be creative on the ice. That's why we now develop players like Erik Karlsson, John Klingberg or Elias Pettersson. They play more of a high risk, high reward game, but it's more fun to watch than the Swedish old school trapping game. But if you acquire a player that has been taught to play that way, why try to change him into a defensive forward?

To quote Zlatan Ibrahimovich: "You don't buy a Ferrari and drive it like a Volkswagen."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:56 am
SKYO wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:55 am

I'm surprised there has been no news from the Canucks all week regarding his puke. Hopefully that means he's toast.
The worst possible example of a team leader.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/05/04/why- ... vis-green/

The Vancouver Canucks have paid Eriksson $23 million—mostly in signing bonuses—to score 32 goals and 76 points through 196 games. That’s a rate of 0.39 points-per-game. It’s also a rate of $719K per goal.

Plenty more in the article....
Yeah, well, I don't know. I don't see that he was harsh on Green. I mean, what did he really say?
They don't always agree and he feels he is used in a too defensive role. What's the big deal?
And showing who he plays with isn't everything.
Maybe he has been instructed to have a defensive role on a line alongside two offensive forwards? :|

If you look at his performance on the national team, he's doing well. Always has. 47 Points in 46 career games at the World championship. 3 Points in 2 games so far in this tournament. He averages more than 50 points for an 82 game NHL season over his career. He has done well at every team and level he has played, except for with the Canucks. And on other teams he has often been crashing the crease, looking for loose pucks to hammer into the net. He likes Vancouver as a city, he likes the team, he just feels he isn't used the way he prefers to play.

The thing about probably playing in Vancouver next season but you never know, to me only sounds like he'd be prepare to waive his no trade clause if that's what's best for the team. I don't see why people make a fuss, but I guess the summer drought is here.

Instead, let's hope he can show Travis a better way to utilize him and his strengths at the World Championship and that they can then agree on an assignment that'd make both of them happy.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

...careful Per, the voices of reason and logic are often trampled emotion and reaction around here :roll: :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 am Dahlén complained about being yelled at when he took chances on the ice, but both his and Petey's game is based on playing a creative and slightly irregular game. He has never been aiming at becoming the next Samuel Påhlsson.
One thing that sets Pettersson apart from many young stars is his commitment to the two way game. Nothing wrong with an AHL coach stressing that in a young player.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:51 am
I think he did not get along with the coach. Also, his dad never played a single AHL game, and his best friend Petey never did either. And Jonathan was supposedly the better player, I mean one year older and further along on the route to NHL greatness, when he and Petey were on the same line.

I can see that it must have been frustrating, and then on top of that the coach didn't seem to like him.

But from what I understood Dahlén was shocked that he was traded. My understanding is that he talked to his agent about being frustrated that he didn't get a shot with the Big Club, and that he felt the AHL stint was not helping him in his development as a player. Nothing at all about wanting a trade. But then his agent tried to play hardball with the team and it all backfired.

So basically, Dahlén and his AHL coach not really getting along and then poor communication between player-agent-team.

Too bad though. I like Dahlén as a player - he can skate sideways just like his dad :lol: - and he and Petey had some really good chemistry when playing together in Timrå.
I'll agree with you, basically, on this about Dahlen. Obviously something went wrong with the process of this situation.
I don't know who his agent is but this is a joke.
Most of us here are choked the return was practically F-all. Hope something becomes of him but doubt it.
Dahlen, though, will probably have an NHL career.
This whole thing makes 0 sense. I'm not happy about it at all...

There isn't going to be too much sympathy around these parts for LE though. Why should there be?
He's had the best players this team has to offer to play with and failed under two different coaches.

There have no doubt been hundreds of situations through out the league over the years where players and coaches
virtually hated each other yet still had success, go figure?

If this was just a war with Travis Green, which it seems to be, then why the same lack-luster spaced out play under
Willie as well.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to edicate, doesn't it?
When you are at World Championship Hockey, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT YOUR NHL TEAM WHOM YOU HAVE A CONTRACT WITH !!
In a negative fashion.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Topper wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 am
Per wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 am Dahlén complained about being yelled at when he took chances on the ice, but both his and Petey's game is based on playing a creative and slightly irregular game. He has never been aiming at becoming the next Samuel Påhlsson.
One thing that sets Pettersson apart from many young stars is his commitment to the two way game. Nothing wrong with an AHL coach stressing that in a young player.
This is getting glossed over in the trash Utica commentary. He got super cushy minutes and deployment and struggled, he’s got an uphill battle in San Jose that’s for sure.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Dahlen and his agent decided on this gambit and lost. Simple as that.

If they had taken another, less confrontational approach, who knows? They might have gotten their wish next season.

And guess what? Players get yelled at lots in the NHL. Better get used to it.

As DickStroker said, the analytics and the eye-test did not support the player. The organization was in the rights to try to develop him in a way that would benefit both the player and the team. If there is one thing about the Boston "model", it's that the trash is taken out quick.

As for Loui... sure, I don't think he was necessarily in the wrong. He might have had exactly the same conversation with Green and Benning in the exit meeting. But Green sure wasn't wrong in his treatment of Loui either. If anything, he treated him like a respected veteran and gave him more rope than he sometimes deserved.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!