2018-2019 Playoffs - Round 1

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs - Round 1

Post by Mickey107 »

How can Kadri show his face at locker clean up?..........Epic, epic! Don't get better than this.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Last edited by Mickey107 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think the justification will be:

It was a cross check.
That is a penalty.
It resulted in a major injury.
No intent to injure but it was careless yada yada yada.

It was a cross check so I have no problem with a penalty call. But the Sharks were going ape shit. Really think the ref thought the game was over and the best way to avoid a major brawl was to send Eakins off for the major. But you see it fired the Sharks up. Speaking of which, what a response. They didn't try to get even, instead they decided to get to work.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Last year made me sick anyways. This "Newbie Franchise" Instant success shit at the cost of other franchises, :evil:
Seattle needs to finish last or close to last for a couple of years and build through the draft, nut no, I'm sure they'll be a platoff team
right away too, huh?
Bitter? Me? Na.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:22 am Last year made me sick anyways. This "Newbie Franchise" Instant success shit at the cost of other franchises, :evil:
Seattle needs to finish last or close to last for a couple of years and build through the draft, nut no, I'm sure they'll be a platoff team
right away too, huh?
Bitter? Me? Na.
with expansion fees being so hi new owners need some type of guarantee that their investment will pay dividends sooner rather than later. I don't think anyone anticipated that they would have the season they had though. I prefer the new way. I like that expansion teams won't be a cake walk to play against. I think it strengthens the league overall. It will catch up to them because they haven't had time to build organizational depth. And lets face it, they got MAF. He made them a contender.

But if you look at their depth, which will take several years to build, they are an average team without MAF. They have some great players no doubt but as they age who will replace them. Las Vegas should enjoy it while it lasts because there will be a reckoning and a rebuild sooner rather than later.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hank wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:46 pm Skyo, I'd stay away from EK and PK as well. Terrible, terrible defensive Dmen.

Karlsson has been on for about 17 out of 23 Vegas goals. Is that even possible? Do you want to pay $11+ million for 7-8 years of that?
But then he also assisted on the series clinching goal.

There's also that. :|

I think the Aqua boys would love paying for that. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:22 am Last year made me sick anyways. This "Newbie Franchise" Instant success shit at the cost of other franchises, :evil:
right away too, huh?
Bitter? Me? Na.
with expansion fees being so hi new owners need some type of guarantee that their investment will pay dividends sooner rather than later. I don't think anyone anticipated that they would have the season they had though. I prefer the new way. I like that expansion teams won't be a cake walk to play against. I think it strengthens the league overall. It will catch up to them because they haven't had time to build organizational depth. And lets face it, they got MAF. He made them a contender.

But if you look at their depth, which will take several years to build, they are an average team without MAF. They have some great players no doubt but as they age who will replace them. Las Vegas should enjoy it while it lasts because there will be a reckoning and a rebuild sooner rather than later.
I disagree. Fleury is a good goalie but that is far better than an average team. Stone is one of the leagues best forwards. Their top two lines are excellent. Their third line is better than our second line and we don’t have any D men as good as Schmidt or Theodore. They are going to be putting the boots to Vancouver for a few years yet.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:10 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 am
right away too, huh?
Bitter? Me? Na.

I disagree. Fleury is a good goalie but that is far better than an average team. Stone is one of the leagues best forwards. Their top two lines are excellent. Their third line is better than our second line and we don’t have any D men as good as Schmidt or Theodore. They are going to be putting the boots to Vancouver for a few years yet.
Nosek Eakins Tuch better than Horvat? Ouch
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eric Haula is usually on that line. Horvat is absolutely better than any of those guys but he plays with scrubs
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob what happened to all your model franchises - Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh and Nashville?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 am Blob what happened to all your model franchises - Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh and Nashville?
These are my model franchises? News to me. Then again Nik Ehlers and Tom Sestito are my favourite players according to you
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:52 am Blob what happened to all your model franchises - Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh and Nashville?
These are my model franchises? News to me. Then again Nik Ehlers and Tom Sestito are my favourite players according to you
It is all Gillis's fault.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Marchessault went absolutely off on the officiating.

As for organizational depth issues.....

A quick count shows they only have 7 players older than 30. Of those players only Stastny and Fleury are signed to go beyond age 34, and only those 2 guys and Patches would be considered key contributors in that age bracket.

McPhee did such a good job gathering and hoarding picks prior to his first season that he actually had picks to burn in trade. They already have 2 entry drafts under their belt, and every trade they have made that has sent pick it prospect out has been to acquire a top player who should be a key contributor for at least another 4 years.

They have at least 2 more years with this roster backstopped by MAF before he probably shows typical goaltending decline considering his style. 4 more years until Max will need to be succeeded. Stastny won’t be a difficult replacement and should be none to difficult to trade before his final year. Their blueline core is very young, all things considered.

If McPhee drafts well there is no reason why he can’t have some solid organizational depth built up through the draft by the beginning of the 2020 campaign. That’s not including minor free agent signings to shore up the AHL team and provide mentorship for picks and call-up support for injuries.

There is absolutely no reason for Vegas to suddenly wither up and hit a rebuild/retool phase if they do things right.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:55 am
It is all Gillis's fault.
Yeah the shtick is getting a little weathered isn’t it?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 am
They have at least 2 more years with this roster backstopped by MAF before he probably shows typical goaltending decline considering his style. 4 more years until Max will need to be succeeded. Stastny won’t be a difficult replacement and should be none to difficult to trade before his final year. Their blueline core is very young, all things considered.
I think Fleury is the key, there's never been an expansion team with a Vezina-calibre goalie. Almost 1/4 of his wins were shutouts this year.

There were several expansion draft players who exploded for career years (hello, Willie Karlsson!) but IMO Fleury was the key. And not surprisingly, without a strong postseason this year, the Knights are one-and-done, in spite of having the best offence in the playoffs.