2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:36 pm oh fuck off Madcombinepilot you fucking idiot, have me blocked then jesus christ.
Lol. So, your get your panties in a knot over a simple statements?? Makes a person think you might be making an emotional descision rather than a logical one.

So, if that's the case, keep the fantasy to your fantasy thread.
Lol, logical one, please show some math now
Go back and read. Not gonna type it twice.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm Keep the fantasy drivel to the fantasy thread please.
Well in fairness to Mr Skyo, the Opening Post set the example by fantasizing about Myers or Gardner.

In fact the OP's example fantasy was so wild it imagined getting them at "5-6 million for 3-5 years"!! :lol:

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm We need DEPTH and value contracts. You will get neither with EK in the offseason.
You get "DEPTH" with EK because he pushes others down the lineup.

And in reality, though he'll get more per-yr, EK arguably won't provide any less "value" than the OP's Myers/Gardner.

(hopefully the OP won't mind me inserting a little reality here) :mrgreen:
Don't mind discussing a little reality at all. I can't see how a single 10+ million guy is enough to push this team over the top into perennial contender status. EK is a fantastic talent. No denying it. But him alone won't get the job done. And if we did get him, we don't get any others. If (when) EK gets hurt, we are still on the outside looking in. Spending 5-6 million on a defender, and another 5-6? On a forward gets us farther ahead than 10-11 (we would have to overpay to get EK here) on a single guy.

And if EK got that injury that makes him a lesser player (see the Keith elbow to Daniel, or Naslundbroken femure), that 10-11 million dollar contract MURDERS this team for the next 7 years.

No thanks.

This isn't fantasy land. We get 1-2 chances to get it right here. A gamble on EK puts all the eggs in one basket.
We've already got a couple of guys like that called Ericksson and Sutter.
There are fans on here that probably wouldn’t mind another Eriksson or Sutter to provide leadership and be mentors
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob liked the Eriksson signing, he also liked the idea of signing Ladd, Brouwer and Lucic.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am Blob liked the Eriksson signing, he also liked the idea of signing Ladd, Brouwer and Lucic.
Blob isn’t getting paid big bucks to make the correct decisions signing these players. Elmer is batting about .150 in UFA season.

Did Blob want those latter three players at the salaries and term they got? Wouldn’t want to mention that though
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:36 pm oh fuck off Madcombinepilot you fucking idiot, have me blocked then jesus christ.
Lol. So, your get your panties in a knot over a simple statements?? Makes a person think you might be making an emotional descision rather than a logical one.

So, if that's the case, keep the fantasy to your fantasy thread.
Lol, logical one, please show some math now
Go back and read. Not gonna type it twice.
I’m convinced quite a few of the posters on this board are incapable of reading
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am Blob liked the Eriksson signing, he also liked the idea of signing Ladd, Brouwer and Lucic.
Blob isn’t getting paid big bucks to make the correct decisions signing these players. Elmer is batting about .150 in UFA season.

Did Blob want those latter three players at the salaries and term they got? Wouldn’t want to mention that though
Please Jimbo, keep your wallet in your jeans on July 1. He’s made way too many mistakes in free agency and now we are stuck with the Loui, Beagle, Spooner, and Schaller contracts, nevermind the $4 + million for Sutter. Keep drafting and developing, no need for quick fixes in free agency, especially when you consider we can only protect a limited number of players in the expansion draft.

I expect he will do something like signing Myers and Ferland to long term, 4-5 year deals at big dollars, and both will be bad contracts from the moment they are signed. I know, we have cap space now but that will change quickly when Boeser gets $7 million, and Petey and Hughes get $9-$10 million each.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning hasn't done as badly in FA as some paint. Schaller, bad but one year left. Ericksson terrible. Gagne, gone but we have to deal with Spooner now. Burmistrov, gone, cost us next to nothing. Stanton, gone.

I like Beagle, Roussel.

Vrbata was not bad, Miller was great, Vannick was good. Nilsson was ok. Who did I miss as FA? His only really bad signing was Ericksson, ok and Gagne. But other than those two there has been no damage done.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I don't think Sutters lived up to the sum of his parts.
Maybe I expected too much, at least more.
In retrospect, his best and most noticeable terms in Pittsburg is when he was filling in for one of the super-stars.
It was misleading.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:00 pm I don't think Sutters lived up to the sum of his parts.
Maybe I expected too much, at least more.
In retrospect, his best and most noticeable terms in Pittsburg is when he was filling in for one of the super-stars.
It was misleading.
Sutter can elevate his game. Hes probably a good playoff performer...too lazy to check.

If he could just keep those brittle bird bones together he might be worth his suprisingly affordable contract.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob isn’t getting paid
and he's giving us what we pay for
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 pm
Blob isn’t getting paid
I guess. He’s probably one of the lower paid GMs in the league
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm Keep the fantasy drivel to the fantasy thread please.
Well in fairness to Mr Skyo, the Opening Post set the example by fantasizing about Myers or Gardner.

In fact the OP's example fantasy was so wild it imagined getting them at "5-6 million for 3-5 years"!! :lol:

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm We need DEPTH and value contracts. You will get neither with EK in the offseason.
You get "DEPTH" with EK because he pushes others down the lineup.

And in reality, though he'll get more per-yr, EK arguably won't provide any less "value" than the OP's Myers/Gardner.

(hopefully the OP won't mind me inserting a little reality here) :mrgreen:
Don't mind discussing a little reality at all.
Great, the reality is you're not going to get Myers or Gardner at "5-6 million for 3-5 years".

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm I can't see how a single 10+ million guy is enough to push this team over the top into perennial contender status.
No one said that so...

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm EK is a fantastic talent. No denying it. But him alone won't get the job done. And if we did get him, we don't get any others. If (when) EK gets hurt, we are still on the outside looking in. Spending 5-6 million on a defender, and another 5-6? On a forward gets us farther ahead than 10-11 (we would have to overpay to get EK here) on a single guy.
Okay so what if both your 5-6 million guys get hurt?

I guess you're implying EK is injury prone?

Well prior to this season he only missed 16 games total over the previous 5 seasons.

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 pm And if EK got that injury that makes him a lesser player (see the Keith elbow to Daniel, or Naslundbroken femure), that 10-11 million dollar contract MURDERS this team for the next 7 years.

No thanks.

This isn't fantasy land. We get 1-2 chances to get it right here. A gamble on EK puts all the eggs in one basket.
Yes, this is fantasy land!

Which is why I was making fun of you for trying to boot Skyo back to the Trade Fantasy thread.

In your OP you fantasized about getting Myers or Gardner at "5-6 million for 3-5 years"

THAT is a wild fantasy my friend!

And THAT makes this thread a fantasy thread

... the kind of thread for which my buddy Skyo was born. :)

Now, you seem to be using the "logic" of more $5-6M players at the expense of $10-11M players.

By that logic we have two years to trade off Pettersson and Hughes.

No thanks. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 pm Benning hasn't done as badly in FA as some paint. Schaller, bad but one year left. Ericksson terrible. Gagne, gone but we have to deal with Spooner now. Burmistrov, gone, cost us next to nothing. Stanton, gone.

I like Beagle, Roussel.

Vrbata was not bad, Miller was great, Vannick was good. Nilsson was ok. Who did I miss as FA? His only really bad signing was Ericksson, ok and Gagne. But other than those two there has been no damage done.
He hasn’t done as badly in FA as he’s done in trades I guess, so there’s a small positive there. :D

Loui was and is really bad. Schaller too but only 2 years. Gagner was bad and now we are stuck with Spooner who might be worse, only 1 year I guess. Guddy was technically an upcoming FA who was re-signed and he was awful, Sutter the same. Vrbata one good and one bad year. Dorsett was decent until he got injured, but his deal is up this off season so let’s call that a draw. Bartkowski was awful. Beagle is average, he’s gets buried on the ice in tough matchups but I like a guy like him helping out the young guys, especially since he’s such a hard worker, so call it a wash too. Burmistrov was awful.

In the good category, I’d put Miller, Roussel though it’s only been half a season and he’s definitely highly paid for his role, Stecher was an unsigned FA and that’s a win, Vanek had a good 60 games. When Ryan Miller is your only clear FA win in 5 off seasons that’s not good, and has proven to me it shouldn’t be a chosen way to improve the team.

Drafting it is!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:41 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 pm
Blob isn’t getting paid
I guess. He’s probably one of the lower paid GMs in the league
Bauble on a low branch
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:42 pm Benning hasn't done as badly in FA as some paint. Schaller, bad but one year left. Ericksson terrible. Gagne, gone but we have to deal with Spooner now. Burmistrov, gone, cost us next to nothing. Stanton, gone.

I like Beagle, Roussel.

He hasn’t done as badly in FA as he’s done in trades I guess, so there’s a small positive there. :D

Loui was and is really bad. Schaller too but only 2 years. Gagner was bad and now we are stuck with Spooner who might be worse, only 1 year I guess. Guddy was technically an upcoming FA who was re-signed and he was awful, Sutter the same. Vrbata one good and one bad year. Dorsett was decent until he got injured, but his deal is up this off season so let’s call that a draw. Bartkowski was awful. Beagle is average, he’s gets buried on the ice in tough matchups but I like a guy like him helping out the young guys, especially since he’s such a hard worker, so call it a wash too. Burmistrov was awful.

In the good category, I’d put Miller, Roussel though it’s only been half a season and he’s definitely highly paid for his role, Stecher was an unsigned FA and that’s a win, Vanek had a good 60 games. When Ryan Miller is your only clear FA win in 5 off seasons that’s not good, and has proven to me it shouldn’t be a chosen way to improve the team.

Drafting it is!
Yes when one factors in Sbisa, Gudbranson and Sutter who were extended before they reached UFA it looks really bad. If you’re going to give him props for signing Vanek to a good cheap one year deal then you can’t give him props for Weirdcrotch or Burmistrov. Vrbata had a good first year and was dogs shit the second year. Del Zotto was garbage and so was Gagner and Bartkowski. Miller was ok. Eriksson was horrendous. Beagle is a year too long, but I guess they paid for his cup ring. Roussel and Dorsett were ok. Nilsson was meh. Overall he’s probably getting a D grade in UFA season