2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 am I just got a chill. I think the hockey gawds are speaking to me. Tuesday will be a good day, I hear. Either that or I'm stoned from all the second hand marijuana smoke.
I hope you’re right! I am definitely down on our lottery odds given the past number of years, but luck has to turn at some point right?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

My prediction - drafting 10th overall
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronnings #firebenning Ghost

He’s locked in, folks. It’s up to him now to save himself, nothing we can do but hope for the best.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

We’re walking out of this with the #2 pick.

Pick KK and keep moving. He’s the best player in this draft. Do NOT trade up for Brother Jack
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 am We’re walking out of this with the #2 pick.

Pick KK and keep moving. He’s the best player in this draft. Do NOT trade up for Brother Jack
Best possible outcome, IMO. Gimmicks aside, I would rather see Kakko in Vancouver silks. Picking 2nd would guarantee it and remove the temptation to pick the younger Hughes. I’m usually a BPA believer but how many star centrex does the team need?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Cancelled my sportsnet/tsn cable and added Crave for the summer. Getting ready for GOT on Sunday. Not a fan of any team except the Canucks. In my world, true fans can only be fans of one team. I can get enough hockey on CBC. For some reason I can live without Bluejay baseball all summer long, or other Toronto centric coverage. I cancelled before the lottery because I know for a fact the Canucks won’t be picking in the top three - book it!

Oh, I’d also like to wish Edmonton an early congratulations.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Not sure if this was discussed earlier but Burke was on the radio last week talking about how the draft should run.

I cannot remember the entire discussion but it went something like this:

First – forget the lottery, let a bad team get a good player
You can only draft 1st overall once but not 2 years in row, if you are bad the following year then the best you can pick is 5th
You can only pick 1st overall twice in 5 years

He was emphasizing that bad teams should get good players to help them rebuild but manage the process so that they cannot win 1st overall like Edmonton has done.

Thoughts?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 am We’re walking out of this with the #2 pick.

So Blob, if we win 1st overall you're still going KK?
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am My prediction - drafting 10th overall
Good ol RD keeping us safe from the hockey gods.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 pm
As for being happy this year - you really just have missed how many times I said to sit back and enjoy the entertainment, it was a ton of fun watching Petey do his thing, Bo improve massively, loved Hughes’ 5 games, thought Demko looked very strong, etc. Yep I enjoyed all of that, and yep, I’m still not happy with where this team is because it could be much better.

As for the unwavering negativity, you are either being intentionally obtuse or you just haven’t read any of my posts in this thread. I call it as I see it, I have no agenda and don’t try to be negative or positive. I don’t blindly follow along and I will criticize Benning, Green, the team, Aquilini when I think it’s warranted. I will also praise them when it’s warranted. Being positive about the future and criticizing past moved are not mutually exclusive. If you think that’s being negative you are again missing the point.

As for not handling a rebuild, I’ve been around here a lot longer than almost anyone, and was on other message boards before that. Been over 25 years now. I think with that staying power I’ve proven time and time again I can handle a rebuild - in fact I’d like to see more of it!
Agree with everything but I am happy where the team is NOW because it could be worse. The Aquas may still be forcing Luke to use the Force and build a playoff team now instead of doing it the right way. I think Aquas and JB have learned a hard lesson on their previous model and now doing it right so the rebuild IMO started a few years ago.

Skyo has me dreaming of a EK signing, just that alone would push this team to the playoffs.

For the draft lottery, will we win tonight? Nope but it is always fun to think about the "what ifs" and who ever we take at 9th will be on the team in 2 - 3 years. Now that we have a stock of good young players we do not have to push anyone up before they are ready, ala Oilers method.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 am

So Blob, if we win 1st overall you're still going KK?
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am

Yes I would. Kid is a big horse. Hughes is a nice player but imho the Finn is a better player.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 am You can put together a list of reasons for each team being able to make the playoffs 3 years after they bottomed out - fact is, they did it when you said we shouldn’t expect it. It happens all the time so why should we expect less from the Nucks?

Jimbo is going into his 6th offseason and 6th season coming up. We should expect nothing less than playoffs this coming year and turning into a contender after that. It’s possible, just requires some more moves and hopefully Jimbo is up to the task.
But they didn't do it. You moved the goalposts about "bottoming out" while ignoring the fact it took at least 4 years.

I pointed out the Canucks and the teams I mentioned have and are rebuilding the traditional way.... it usually takes awhile and only IF they are good and consistent in their scouting, drafting and development.

LA got their core and rebuilt as I mentioned, but it took 6 years of no playoffs. Again, after they "bottomed out" with 68 pts, they were still equally as bad with 71 & 79 pts.

Colorado already had the young core that I listed, and they were a good team before and after their 48 pt season. They were NOT rebuilding from scratch. But they seem to know how to tank in the right draft year it seems.

Pittsburgh? C'mon. These 2 scenarios aren't the norm for rebuilding teams to model. Neither is winning all those lottery picks like Edmonton.

Leaves 2005-06 to 2015-16... one playoffs. In eleven years.

Chicago 1997-98 to 2007-08... one playoffs. In ten years.

Winnipeg/Atlanta 2007-08 to 2016-17... one playoffs. In ten years. Cheveldayoff, who's been masterful in selecting the right 1st round picks, have 3 playoffs in 9 seasons as GM. And he's been building this team the way it should be built since he took over in 2011.

The "norm" of full rebuilds is that it takes time, scouting, drafting, development and lots of luck. What you did with your selective stats isn't the norm.

You just want to keep taking shots at JB with your selective stats. We already said many times much of it had to Aqua's continued direction for the team. This team has missed the playoffs 4 years in a row.

But I wholeheartedly agree with you as will many others here... "We should expect nothing less than playoffs this coming year and turning into a contender after that. It’s possible, just requires some more moves and hopefully Jimbo is up to the task."

Yes.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lancer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 am

Best possible outcome, IMO. Gimmicks aside, I would rather see Kakko in Vancouver silks. Picking 2nd would guarantee it and remove the temptation to pick the younger Hughes. I’m usually a BPA believer but how many star centrex does the team need?
Your both right + I couldn't agree more. No side-shows, no gimmicks. Drafting 2nd or 3rd, the possibility of trading up might be tempting
but No. Besides: Pretty soon there's another. yikes.
"evolution"
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:14 am So we finish 23, slotting in at the 9th pick before the lottery results.

Take it away Dude. at least this year we don't have to wait 2 months to find out where we are picking.
They ended up on the high end of my October prediction of a 23rd to 27th finish. I also said a lottery pick with no lottery luck. So hopefully they end up on whatever is the high end of that prediction as well. I would also love to be totally wrong on that one today.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I'd love it if they somehow moved into that #2 spot. Kakko looked like a beast in the WJC and if, for some reason he goes #1, you take the best consolation prize in recent history and start brothers era part 2.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Well, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in: the odds have to be a little kinder this year, we're in the top 3!! Im leaning towards #2 as well. Gonna scurry from work a tad early to see the outcome on tv.
cc oldtimer