GDT: April 6/19 Canucks @ Blues 1:00pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: April 6/19 Canucks @ Blues 1:00pm

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Tanev would be great if he could just stay in the damn lineup. His on-ice abilities arent the issue.

Interesting that Gillis had identified his penchant for getting injured before he had that reputation. I do remember him leaving himself open to punishment along the walls early on and have probably gotten so used to seeing him absorb so many hits that I've become blind to it...unless its that hes out of the lineup
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hindsight Gillis :roll:

Keep talkin' your way into another NHL job...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hank wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:26 am Hindsight Gillis :roll:

Keep talkin' your way into another NHL job...
:lol:

I do recall him being a body check test dummy though. Maybe he said it back then as well...who knows
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Most of Tanenv’s injuries come from blocking shots.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:25 am Most of Tanenv’s injuries come from blocking shots.
Same as Reefer.

Baubles. your thoughts?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:49 pm I deliberately used "every single instance" of "every single game" because it was extremely unfair for the media and fans to pile on Gudbranson but praise Schenn for the exact same thing?

Agree to disagree on 82 games for 7th or 8th D. We've seen that for too long around here. Huge pressure on JB to finally fix this thing. That means a true #1 right side D to move everyone else down. At this point, I feel this team needs Tanev more than they do Edler.

At the end of the day, we can agree we all want this team to take the next step. So it's all good, man :thumbs:
Don't agree that Guddy played as much of the role of protector that Schenn has in his time.

IMO it's the 1-5 players on D that are going to make the difference (or not) next year. So, yes , agree to disagree.

Yeah, we good. Hopefully the team will be too sooner rather than later. :thumbs:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:43 am I've been really impressed with Boeser's overall game this past month or so. He has been back checking, forechecking and has been hard on the puck. He's driving to the net more and his passing has improved. He's shown that extra gear in his play. His defensive play, which may always be his weakness, an area he has to stay focused upon, has also been far more consistent. The next step for him is to show up to camp ready to go.

I really like what I see from Rafferty. There were few shifts where Green had him out there with Hughes and they really controlled the O line. The battle for the right side next year may be a fun one to watch adding in that Woo is getting some games in Utica so he may come to camp ready to take a job.

Goaltending won't be a problem for us for the foreseeable future.

We have a lot of options on D.

Left
Hutton
Hughes
Juolevi
Sautner
Brisbois
Teves
Edler
Trymakin in a year

Right
Stetcher
Biega
Tanev
Schenn
Woo
Rafferty

Still a lot of decisions on the backend but some depth. Benning has his work cut out for him to figure out the right compliment. If he adds I hope he doesn't just add for the sake of it. If we could depend upon Tanev and Edler to each play 70+ games they would be the best option for next year rather than just add. But if its time to move on from one or both then I hope he can land a big name guy, big minute guy, or two. Even though we have depth we don't have much in the way or top 2 Dmen, outside of Hughes in a couple of years.

Up front we've also come a long way. We still need 2 top 6. I like Bo/Pearson and Pettersson/Boeser. I don't depend on Baertschi right now and Goldobin didn't seize the day. Two more top six wingers would be nice but id settle for one. I don't see anyone in Utica that's going to step into a top six next year but I'm open to being surprised.

Bottom six we have a ton of guys and Green should be able to ice a bottom six without difficulty.

I'm excited already for next season.
Good post, Wids.

Agree on most points.

Re. D, yeah would be nice if Elder and Tanev could play 70+ but, even if they do, there would still be substantial benefit to adding Karlsson (as unlikely as that may be). I am not too enthused about adding a midlevel D via UFA so long as they can resign Edler but an elite level D like Karlsson would immediately move all players down a slot (i.e. Edler becomes a number two and Tanev becomes a number three and so forth). IMO that movement down would benefit the team greatly and it might even make players like Edler and Tanev less likely to overextend themselves and get injured. As you noted, there are a lot of options on D but if we end up with too many guys that are legit NHL players we can always trade some of that strength to bolster other areas or get more beloved draft picks. :lol:

- Sun Tzu
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 pm
Hank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Hank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:00 pm Gerry is looking like a pretty good signing. Imagine if he wasn't a cyclops.

Do we really need to sign Schenn? I say we only need one of Schenn or Biega as an AHL call-up.
Did you see Schenn in to protect Petey? Definitely think they should bring him back. The guy has done an excellent job of watching over the young guys (much better than Guddy did and at a much cheaper price).
That was kind of my point. I didn't see him protect Petey or anyone the last game (or maybe it was the game before).

Either way, both Schenn and Biega should be our 7/8th defenseman (they better be if we're serious about improvement) and that means neither should be in the lineup that often to protect anyone.

Anyway, there is no point in having both. One or the other.
He has been in there a lot more of the time than not. He was literally just protecting Petey earlier this game and has been watching out for the young guys the majority of his time here. His body of work in that department has been great.

Apparently we have been watching different games or focussing on different things.
So the way you see it, Schenn is protecting teammates plenty. :wink:

Hmmm... Schenn is not exactly Gud-looking, is it possible you are subconsciously biased somehow?

Is it possible you just like 'em ugly?

Only thing I can think of that might be going on here...
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:37 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 pm
Hank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm
DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Hank wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:00 pm Gerry is looking like a pretty good signing. Imagine if he wasn't a cyclops.

Do we really need to sign Schenn? I say we only need one of Schenn or Biega as an AHL call-up.
Did you see Schenn in to protect Petey? Definitely think they should bring him back. The guy has done an excellent job of watching over the young guys (much better than Guddy did and at a much cheaper price).
That was kind of my point. I didn't see him protect Petey or anyone the last game (or maybe it was the game before).

Either way, both Schenn and Biega should be our 7/8th defenseman (they better be if we're serious about improvement) and that means neither should be in the lineup that often to protect anyone.

Anyway, there is no point in having both. One or the other.
He has been in there a lot more of the time than not. He was literally just protecting Petey earlier this game and has been watching out for the young guys the majority of his time here. His body of work in that department has been great.

Apparently we have been watching different games or focussing on different things.
So the way you see it, Schenn is protecting teammates plenty. :wink:

Hmmm... Schenn is not exactly Gud-looking, is it possible you are subconsciously biased somehow?

Is it possible you just like 'em ugly?

Only thing I can think of that might be going on here...
Admittedly Schenn’s play here is a small sample size so far but in that small sample he has protected teammates more overtly than Guds ever did. But perhaps I am just missing the “little [sic] things” that Guds did.

Your fixation with good looks does explain how you missed Gud’s terrible play though. :wink:

- Sun Tzu
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 pm But perhaps I am just missing the “little [sic] things” that Guds did.
Perhaps indeed. :D

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:36 pm Your fixation with good looks does explain how you missed Gud’s terrible play though. :wink:
Well I'm not fixated, I was just theorizing about your alleged blindness towards the Gud's lusciousness.

But I'll take it under advisement Donny.

Yours truly being a super-handsome tough-as-nails sonuvabitch, perhaps there is some subconscious bias going on.

I'm glad we had this little chat. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:44 am Gud's lusciousness.
I'll take that as an affirmation of my suspicions.

- Sun Tzu