OOTS 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS 2018-2019

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:51 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:43 am
Instead of 6-8 teams willing to give him $10-12M per year, you might only have 2-3... someone will pay him top dollar.
Well-said! Come on IN, join us and drink the EKoolaid!
I've never been opposed to signing EK. He's arguably the best UFA of the cap era. I just don't think he'll come here. I see him in Dallas (and they'll re-up his old buddy Methot as well).
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Instead of 6-8 teams willing to give him $10-12M per year, you might only have 2-3... someone will pay him top dollar.
I've never been opposed to signing EK. He's arguably the best UFA of the cap era. I just don't think he'll come here. I see him in Dallas (and they'll re-up his old buddy Methot as well).
Yup. Hes not coming to van
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I can't get out of my head the one thing he said before leaving the Sens regarding his future.
"I want to be paid" Everyone on the hockey planet knew what that meant.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Yup. Hes not coming to van
Why not, we do have the pieces at the right age and contract amounts. We are only going to go up and with him I expect an immediate playoff team next year. Trade Tanev and move LE (maybe not) and that opens some cap space for JB to sign another D man and a forward.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

There's a big difference between "not being opposed" and drinking the EKoolaid. Its delicious, trust me!

I hadn't really seen Dallas come up in the sweepstakes, but its interesting possibility with Spezza coming off the books. IMO they're a team that has already hit their peak - and it wasn't a very high peak - and there is little/nothing in the pipeline to encourage a top UFA.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 am I hadn't really seen Dallas come up in the sweepstakes, but its interesting possibility with Spezza coming off the books. IMO they're a team that has already hit their peak - and it wasn't a very high peak - and there is little/nothing in the pipeline to encourage a top UFA.
Dallas was trying hard to acquire EK last summer.

Do you think these UFA are looking for up and comers, or a chance to win now with a core of similarly-aged players?

Dallas is a playoff team with some star forwards and good goaltending and some nice pieces on D with Klingberg and Heiskanen. There’s also the great income tax situation and climate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So many considerations for free agents these years. It's not just money. It's not just term. It's not just trade protection. Its city/location and family considerations. It's also about winning of course.

Tavares was asked why he picked the leaves when Stamkos said no. He said he talked to Stamkos before he signed in Toronto. Stamkos told him he really wanted to consider Toronto but where they were in their development just wasn't the right fit, the right time. For Tavares he saw the timing as perfect. He went on to say that the stage of development of a team has to be right, not too old, not too young but on the cusp. 7 years is a long term commitment.

You don't want to join a team that has only a couple of years left, realistically, in their window. You know a rebuild, retool, transition, is coming. But you don't want to get into a team that isn't ready for the next step. Hossa was willing to do one year deals until he found the right spot. Stamkos assessed that Tampa was a better fit to be a contender long before the leaves. Tavares guessed that Toronto was closer to taking the next steps than the NYI.

EK has a lot to consider. I think SJS will get most of his consideration. They have some players that are aging out but they still have a strong core that has several years left and some good young talent. But they have never been able to put it all together in the playoffs. He also has less pressure there than some other markets. He doesn't have to be "the one". That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon what he wants.

Ive never heard EK say he won't play for a Canadian market so I'm not sure where that came from. In fact all I've ever heard him really say is that he wants to get paid. Will the SJS pay him what he feels he is worth? Can they afford to, not just financially, but team structure wise? The playoffs this year will be a big thing for him. He has to stay healthy and show he can be a difference maker in the run for the Cup.

It will be an interesting off season but my money says he stays put and gets paid to stay in SJS. But there was a comment not long after he got to SJ. Something about not appreciating how difficult the travel for a Western team was. Will this factor into his decision?
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

HW, did you mean Karlsson?

I was getting all excited about Loui going to SJ.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 pm HW, did you mean Karlsson?

I was getting all excited about Loui going to SJ.
oops. Yes I did. :oops: :oops: :oops:
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see the EK delusion is still reigning supreme around here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 pm I see the EK delusion is still reigning supreme around here.
It's a pleasant fantasy.

I'm on board until that bubble inevitably bursts.

I will say though, should the lotto balls (or Bettman) favour us and we snag the 1st pick (fantasy on top of fantasy), I think the former fantasy may become a reality.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:57 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:40 pm I see the EK delusion is still reigning supreme around here.
It's a pleasant fantasy.

I will say though, should the lotto balls (or Bettman) favour us and we snag the 1st pick (fantasy on top of fantasy), I think the former fantasy may become a reality.
CYJFI

Can you just fucking imagine
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

rats19 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm
It's a pleasant fantasy.

CYJFI

DTD

Dare To Dream.

:lol:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

NHL Lotto Max: Anyone can win

#WeCouldBeNext
Dream Bigger
Get That Lotto #1 Overall Feeling
Joy For All

The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:59 pm
It's a pleasant fantasy.

CYJFI

DTD

Dare To Dream.

:lol:
.... and Caroline Buchanan just became single
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.