Jim Ignitowski Benning

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Jim Ignitowski Benning

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:11 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:37 pm So we're looking at EK, Gardiner, Strahlman, and Myers. That's an incredibly thin group, and aside from EK, I don't think any of those players is worth $7M, nor are they the caliber of player Brian Campbell was when he signed his big-time deal at 29 (coming off a 62 point season and averaging 50 for the previous couple seasons).
The Campbell $7.142mil contract was 12.5% of the cap at the time, and would be a $10+mil cap hit today.

A $7mil contract today was a $4.5 million cap hit in 2008. So Myers for $7mil is roughly comparable to Hamhuis' signing, and that's all you need to expect from a $7 mil ufa Dman.

Campbell was signed when Keith, Seabrook, Kane, Toews, Byfuglien were all making under a million each. He was key to their first Cup, then was traded to make room and subsequent cup runs. I really don't think any of the UFA d this year would ever be immovable /boat anchors - hell, Phaneuf has been traded twice!
Hamhuis' Vancouver contract would be worth a shade under $6.3M next season. Do you think Myers or Gardiner go for that?

Campbell played 23min/night with Chicago when he was dumped to Florida for Rusty Olesz (who gave the Hawks 6 games and 0 points). In his first season in Florida he played more than any dman in the NHL and had 50 points. So sure, almost any contract is moveable. The Senators continue to pay Phaneuf $1.7M per season.

Myers will be 30 next season, and hasn't had a 40 point campaign since he was 19. So yeah, we could give him $7.5-8M per season with term, then when the cap crunch hits in 3 years, pay him $2M per season to play for someone else. I'd rather not, but it's an option.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pmThis has been explained to his camp. The Canucks do not want to put themselves in that position. So they'd do a 3 year but year 2-3 would have to have a modified NTC. They would also do a 2 year full NMC.
Yeah just give Edler a 4 year deal but only with a NTC, slightly lower term.

Expose him to Seattle.

Onto the next contracts.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If Edler wants to play for the canucks he'll sign for the 2 years and the team will be happy to have him. It appears to be a futile effort at implied leverage but both sides know who holds the cards.

My money is on him signing for a rich deal with full protection for 2 years.
If you need air...call it in
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

If Edler is exposed, he'll be taken and wind up in Seattle.

I wonder what the numbers are being tossed around. With his crazy offensive finish to the season, I'm thinking he'd be asking over $7 mil per.

That's his market value, but maybe it is just time to move on from him and his injuries. Such a tough call ..
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Given his age, Seattle might not even want him. They might prefer who's available between Demko/Markstrom.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Benning is right to play along with Edler's game. He does not want to leave town. How much is that worth to him? What is Alex willing to leave on the table to make that happen?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:47 pm Given his age, Seattle might not even want him. They might prefer who's available between Demko/Markstrom.
It will be interesting if JM is still this good next fall. I would love to know if his season has been a result of development or more of a one and done. Hes spent years being mediocre so the sceptic in me needs to see him start a season at the same calibre.
If he does come back the same then i personally would look at dealing Demko for help in other positions rather than lose him to the draft
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:47 pm Given his age, Seattle might not even want him. They might prefer who's available between Demko/Markstrom.
It will be interesting if JM is still this good next fall. I would love to know if his season has been a result of development or more of a one and done. Hes spent years being mediocre so the sceptic in me needs to see him start a season at the same calibre.
If he does come back the same then i personally would look at dealing Demko for help in other positions rather than lose him to the draft
As great as Markstrom has been this year and depending upon what we see from Demko next season, I cant see how you move on from Demko. There is no one behind Demko, no Im not sold on Dipietro and even if I was he is several years away.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I hear ya wids but if goalies need up to 8 seasons of incubated mediocrity before becoming elite then we might as well ride the fruit of our womb as we become a contender.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:25 pm I hear ya wids but if goalies need up to 8 seasons of incubated mediocrity before becoming elite then we might as well ride the fruit of our womb as we become a contender.
I don't think 8 years is the norm. When Markstrom was a Panther prospect he was considered the best young goalie not in the NHL. But he floundered there. Then we land him and find out he's never had a goalie coach before. His confidence is shot. He lost about three valuable years in development. We waive him, he goes to Utica and is lights out. Then he is our backup but stuck behind Miller. WD is stubborn and Markstrom just doesn't get the games he needs. And it looked like he would never become a true number one. This year he is dialled in and it all falls into place. But I think had he been drafted by the Canucks, for example, his development would have been faster.

He has often said that getting a NHL goalie coach was pivotal for his development. Demko has had the benefit of great goalie coaches since he turned pro and his game is not far off being a starter. Ya there are things I don't like in Demko's game but they are all technical, teachable things.

Benning had inquiries this TDD about Markstrom. If Demko takes the reigns next season I could see a scenario where Markstrom gets traded. But not if we are a playoff team.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah Florida was horrible at developing Marky.

Canucks were much better at it, especially after we had Luongo, the team seen what works to help develop goalies properly, as in not rushing em, having a quality goalie coach, let em gain confidence in the AHL, basically like what normal American teams have been doing these past decades lol.

American teams just have so much pro sports experience & connections thanks to all their NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL franchises and college/universities development. I mean look at how they tank properly, and don't tank too long, just enough to get their elite talent and build around them with astounding scouting.

It's why I love Benning here, his foundation is scouting - it's in his blood, you build a championship team with scouting/drafting/developing, do that well enough, then you'll have talent to trade in the future, quality assets to move about, not washed up old-timers we've had after MG left, almost every 2011 cup run roster player is retired or near retirement, the fact we got anything for em is pretty good for JB even though most of em had No Trade Clauses.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Benning had inherited the team Gillis had I doubt Benning does too much different from what Gillis did. Different team, different place in development. Benning would have done what he had to to get the team to the Finals, much the way Gillis did. The difference is Gillis didn’t know what to do next, or ownership hindered what he wanted to do.

Hands down Benning is far superior in the draft than Gillis.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Marky might have up to 10 more years of serviceability. If he starts like hes finishing... stick with him and convert the kid into a dman or winger...wherever we have the greatest need.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 pm Marky might have up to 10 more years of serviceability. If he starts like hes finishing... stick with him and convert the kid into a dman or winger...wherever we have the greatest need.

Cant really say that's the wrong move so it will be interesting to see how it unfolds. The expansion draft comes at a bad time for us. But we can only lose one player.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 pm Marky might have up to 10 more years of serviceability. If he starts like hes finishing... stick with him and convert the kid into a dman or winger...wherever we have the greatest need.
That is very much the talk around the local media. What could a Demko trade bring.
I was gonna say I fell sorry for the guy hearing this kind of stuff but in retrospect;
If he feels he might be or get to be real quick, the MAIN MAN, somewhere else, maybe- :)
Then what; Enter Mikey? Or the old; "Grab a backup", for a couple?

Wow; that's decent news on Luo, huh?
"evolution"