Quinn Hughes time begins!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Quinn Hughes time begins!

Post by 2Fingers »

Actually why would we want to burn a year off his ELC?

That means 1 year closer to pay him top dollars and after we sign EK and another top end defender this summer we need to mind the $$$. So wait until next year and just let him soak up this year.

Not the thing everyone wants to hear but more and more this team is a couple years away from making noise, barring some big FA signings.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:21 pm Actually why would we want to burn a year off his ELC?

That means 1 year closer to pay him top dollars and after we sign EK and another top end defender this summer we need to mind the $$$. So wait until next year and just let him soak up this year.

Not the thing everyone wants to hear but more and more this team is a couple years away from making noise, barring some big FA signings.
#1--thank you for signing. sure makes us look good to potential other college stars in the future.

#2--fans and the market in general need a boost.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

micky107 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:28 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:21 pm Actually why would we want to burn a year off his ELC?

#1--thank you for signing. sure makes us look good to potential other college stars in the future.

#2--fans and the market in general need a boost.
Yeah I know, as a fan I want to see him but is it prudent to burn a year just for 5 - 6 games? I am thinking 3 years from now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

His contract doesn't slid. I thought we could save a year too if he didn't play but that's not the case. He burns a year no matter what. The two thresholds were 10 games and he needed to be protected in the expansion draft and 9 games and he would hold arbitration rights when his ELC expired, I think.

Now I want to see him play.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Because then he won't qualify for arbitration rights or offer-sheets after his ELC.

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:21 pm That means 1 year closer to pay him top dollars and after we sign EK and another top end defender this summer we need to mind the $$$. So wait until next year and just let him soak up this year.

Nice try but how 'bout I do the thinking and you sit there looking pretty. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 pm His contract doesn't slid. I thought we could save a year too if he didn't play but that's not the case. He burns a year no matter what. The two thresholds were 10 games and he needed to be protected in the expansion draft and 9 games and he would hold arbitration rights when his ELC expired, I think.

Thanks HW.

Knew there was something there.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:19 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:24 pm His contract doesn't slid. I thought we could save a year too if he didn't play but that's not the case. He burns a year no matter what. The two thresholds were 10 games and he needed to be protected in the expansion draft and 9 games and he would hold arbitration rights when his ELC expired, I think.

Thanks HW.

:crazy:

Fake or real, he's cratering the IQ level of this site...
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks HW.

Man I really am in your head, your last 3 comments were all directed at me.

What a twit you are.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks HW.

Man I really am in your head, your last 3 comments were all directed at me
... and all 3 of those comments were in response to comments you directed at me. :eh:

Who would have thought that could ever happen on a message board.

(btw that latest comment was directed at everyone but you)

I've made it clear my only interest in you right now is the stupidity contained in your hockey posts of late.

With said stupidity exposed, you've claimed said stupidity is just you trolling.

As a mod I should probably delete that kind of hockey-talk trolling and warn the poster responsible, don't you think?

BTW thanks for admitting to being a troll, it makes my job so much easier!

Stupidity can be overlooked to a certain degree, but out-and-out trolling on hockey matters should not be.

You're a real smart guy for trying to "get in the head" of a mod...

Ass an asside, isn't this the same predicament you got yourself into with my buddy Bingo? :wink:

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 pm What a twit you are.
Aren't you the guy who just admitted to a mod that you are purposely lacing your hockey-related posts with stupid comments? :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Didn't know Quinn Hughes dad Jim was the Maple Leaves development coach back in the days.
When Quinn Hughes first arrived in Vancouver just over two weeks ago, it wasn’t the first time Luke Schenn had seen the diminutive blue-liner.

Hughes was there when Schenn made his own NHL debut in 2008 with the Toronto Maple leaves.

Hughes was eight years old, the son of Jim Hughes, who was the Maple leaves’ development coach in those days.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... nhl-debuts
No wonder these Hughes bros are top tier prospects, their dad developing them for the pros since birth ha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The Hughes bros said their mom taught them how to skate. She played college hockey and was on the US women's national team.

Plus they played their minor hockey in TO, so they had all the development tools they needed to become top prospects.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

micky107 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:23 am

Full screen, Zits and all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGHLXyx9H3A&t=38s
Wow, I was going to point out that Luke Schenn would be the ideal partner for QH. But discounted it as stupid and then right on cue they mention it in this video.

It just makes sense to pair him with Schenn. Yin and Yang.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Think he’d be good with Schenn. He would have been awesome with Gudbranson. :D

The Canucks need an either/or between Schenn and Biega as 8th defenseman next season or the right side D won’t be much improved. If either is penciled in the top six to start the season there is a problem.

It okay to sign him to a contract at less than a million that can sit in Utica if he doesn’t clearly win a job in training camp, but to plan to have him in the line-up will not end well.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"