It's getting warm

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: It's getting warm

Post by Per »

SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:21 pm A lot of those Navajo's work in those mines/power plants.

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/navajo-coal

But it seems coal is dying a slow but steady death as cheaper natural gas takes over.
Even with Trump helping by cutting govt red tape/regulations & rolling back on the clean power plan on coal mining.
Yeah, coal is doomed. Both natural gas and solar is cheaper, so no one will be building new coal powered plants and the ones still up and running will gradually be phased out. And in the case of solar, the technology is still improving, so over time it will continue to get cheaper and more efficient. But that's good news. Coal mining is dirty and dangerous work, and burning coal destroys both the environment and the climate. Good riddance!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:21 pm A lot of those Navajo's work in those mines/power plants.

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/navajo-coal

But it seems coal is dying a slow but steady death as cheaper natural gas takes over.
Even with Trump helping by cutting govt red tape/regulations & rolling back on the clean power plan on coal mining.
Yeah, coal is doomed. Both natural gas and solar is cheaper, so no one will be building new coal powered plants and the ones still up and running will gradually be phased out. And in the case of solar, the technology is still improving, so over time it will continue to get cheaper and more efficient. But that's good news. Coal mining is dirty and dangerous work, and burning coal destroys both the environment and the climate. Good riddance!
Low US cost of natural gas is because of fracking. Increased supply, reasonable costs to recover. Go Battlestar Galactica.

Coal's expense is due to regulations. Mostly environmental (some labor). That it is phasing out is a success story if the regulations are still inadequate to capture the external costs. I'm no expert on whether they are.

It is palatable to the US consumer because energy costs are not increasing (see fracking; also see wind, which is increasingly efficient).
Hono_rary Canadian
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:21 pm

Low US cost of natural gas is because of fracking. Increased supply, reasonable costs to recover. Go Battlestar Galactica.
I got it!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

looking at my latest gas utility bill for our furnace, hotwater tank and stove.

Cost of the gas consumed $14.24
Various storage and delivery charges $64.49

Carbon tax $15.99

Carbon tax is 112% of the cost of the actual gas we burned.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am looking at my latest gas utility bill for our furnace, hotwater tank and stove.

Carbon tax $15.99

Ya, um, mine looks like that too. Should carbon tax be in Green ? No, this is better.
Who the f**k gets away with the term various on a bill ?
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

micky107 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am
Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:34 am looking at my latest gas utility bill for our furnace, hotwater tank and stove.

Carbon tax $15.99

Ya, um, mine looks like that too. Should carbon tax be in Green ? No, this is better.
Such a bogus calculation. Since when are distribution costs not part of the overall cost of a product?

Buy a pair of Levi 501s for $50. GST and PST is $6, which is probably more than the cost of producing these jeans in Bangladesh.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:52 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am

Carbon tax $15.99

Such a bogus calculation. Since when are distribution costs not part of the overall cost of a product?

Buy a pair of Levi 501s for $50. GST and PST is $6, which is probably more than the cost of producing these jeans in Bangladesh.
Back of the bill says the cost of the gas is actual cost they paid for it to the producer and they pass that onto the consumer with no markup. They separate out distribution and storage in vender pipelines and their own. I combined them for simplicity. I would imagine carbon tax is paid on the energy for pumping and infrastructure by those doing those tasks. GST and PST are calculated on the total bill, then Carbon tax is calculated on the total amount including GST and PST.

Should the carbon (carbon dioxide) tax be related to the carbon dioxide produced?

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Burn wood....its tax free! Fuck the carbon bullshit tax.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm Burn wood....its tax free! Fuck the carbon bullshit tax.
Fuck no, even if I had a wood burner. Grew up splitting firewood and packing firewood. Fuck no!

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:21 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm Burn wood....its tax free! Fuck the carbon bullshit tax.
Fuck no, even if I had a wood burner. Grew up splitting firewood and packing firewood. Fuck no!
You have a son dont you? Pass down the knowledge
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I thought BC carbon tax is levied at the retail level only. So pumping an infrastructure are not affected by the carbon tax, though they do pay other, similar, taxes.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm I thought BC carbon tax is levied at the retail level only. So pumping an infrastructure are not affected by the carbon tax, though they do pay other, similar, taxes.
why would they not pay carbon tax on their energy costs?

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm I thought BC carbon tax is levied at the retail level only. So pumping an infrastructure are not affected by the carbon tax, though they do pay other, similar, taxes.
Double taxation
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm
Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm
Double taxation
now you're getting it

like companies with of $500K payroll are already paying the new MSP premium but the "free" for all doesn't kick in until next year.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Bring Cash