GDT: 28/02/19; Canucks vs Coyotes>6pm>SNETP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: 28/02/19; Canucks vs Coyotes>6pm>SNETP

Post by Jovocop »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:09 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm Last night was a crunch time game. This is when you take notice of who steps up and who disappears.
I also thought Granlund and Eriksson disappeared. They are playing themselves off the team before trading camp opens.
Eriksson is a complete joke. Anyone know how much would a buyout would cost and the cap penalty? He's getting to the point where, even for a team trying to reach the cap floor, he'll need to be injured to be attractive because he's a waste of a roster spot. Check out his $6M February:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/ ... i-eriksson
One assist in 14 games! Not even a shot in his last 4.
I would wager at least a half dozen of you ham and eggers on this board could manage a better stat line on pure luck alone. I'm serious.
When Eriksson played for the Stars and the Bruins, he made a living standing in front of the net scoring in tight. He was never the one driving the offense. He has not been used to his strength as a Canuck.
Last edited by Jovocop on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:09 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm Where’s Trymankin when you need him :mrgreen:
Im sure his pylon-like style of skating would come in handy against a quick team like the these guys. Theyre blowing by us like we arent even skating

You missed the point. Trymankin. Richardson. Broken leg. It was an attempt at dark humour.
Oh ya lol. Forgot he did that
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:10 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm LOL

This team

Turning rookie goalie into Vezina

Turning scrub into elite scorer
Our defense sucks with or without Pouliot and Gudbranson. Our defense cannot generate much offense and not really good at defending. Without veterans like Beagle and Roussel, this team could only be worse.
Beagle and Roussel are not problems. It’s having guys like Eriksson and Sutter sucking up $10.3M of cap and contributing nothing more than forcing guys like Leivo, and Spooner, punch way above their weight class.

We currently have 3 forwards who are legit top-6. The rest are bottom-6 staples.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm And Boeser stopped skating. Surprise.
I can't stand seeing lazy shit like that. You see quite a bit of that from Brock. If he's going to continue that sort of effort on a regular basis, and it seems he is, he's going to need to bump up that production to preinjury levels (or better) or he will quickly fall out of favour with fans and the brass alike.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Bit of a train wreck, that was. No injuries, though, right?

Looked like the preseason, everyone's lost.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Buh-bye post season.

Kuemper has to make one good save all night, and a couple solid ones. But he pretty much showed up and let the Vancouver Perimeter Pounders pad his save percentage.

Brutal effort. Especially Boeser’s back check on the 3rd goal.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm Buh-bye post season.

Kuemper has to make one good save all night, and a couple solid ones. But he pretty much showed up and let the Vancouver Perimeter Pounders pad his save percentage.

Yet no tough love from Green?
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:06 pm LOL

This team

Turning rookie goalie into Vezina

Turning scrub into elite scorer
And for the trifecta of negative posts...in the early days of Wordpress, and a thing called spare time, I started a blog tracking Canucks futility documenting, game by game, opposition player firsts (first goal, first point, first win, first shutout, first point on a new team, career or league milestones, any slump busting stats for droughts over ten games and so on). It was frustrating trend I noticed (and I'm sure most of u have as well) that seemed to buck what u would think would be normal. I wanted to see if the documentation matched my perception. As you will likely know, the results were ridiculous. although the blog is lost to cyberspace, this trend continues to this day. It drives me crazy.

Tonight: Richardson, First coyote to score 4 since March of '97. Christ on a cross.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Jovocop wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 pm
Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:09 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm Last night was a crunch time game. This is when you take notice of who steps up and who disappears.
I also thought Granlund and Eriksson disappeared. They are playing themselves off the team before trading camp opens.
Eriksson is a complete joke. Anyone know how much would a buyout would cost and the cap penalty? He's getting to the point where, even for a team trying to reach the cap floor, he'll need to be injured to be attractive because he's a waste of a roster spot. Check out his $6M February:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamelog/ ... i-eriksson
One assist in 14 games! Not even a shot in his last 4.
I would wager at least a half dozen of you ham and eggers on this board could manage a better stat line on pure luck alone. I'm serious.
When Eriksson played for the Stars and the Bruins, he made a living standing in front of the net scoring in tight. He was never the one driving the offense. He has not been used to his strength as a Canuck.
Fair point but you don't need to drive the O to at least register more than a single shot over four games. As a Canuck he has been and continues to be a black hole that devours cap space, aqua bucks, ice time and air. (Yes I know the cap space is irrelevant at his time and I don't give a rip about the owners money). But ice time and clean air I am passionate about. And it does say a lot that an average overweight aging beer league joe could easily put up the same or better numbers than he's putting up this month.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm Buh-bye post season.

Yup. You don't get to be swept in the season series with the lowly coyotes and still make the playoffs. And for the record, with regards to one of my previous posts tonight, this was the Coyotes FIRST season sweep of the Canucks.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:16 pm And Boeser stopped skating. Surprise.
I can't stand seeing lazy shit like that. You see quite a bit of that from Brock. If he's going to continue that sort of effort on a regular basis, and it seems he is, he's going to need to bump up that production to preinjury levels (or better) or he will quickly fall out of favour with fans and the brass alike.
Is Boeser still not 100%? Yes, it is frustrating to see a player with that much skill being lazy.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Jovocop wrote:
The truth is that he was not dirt cheap when he left the Canucks. His contract at the time was $6.25m for 3 years.
And he wasn’t foundational so no point in keeping him around when you could trade assets and resign someone to a more lucrative contract to do a less productive but more foundational job.
:mrgreen:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm Brisebois sent down. Sautner playing.
Ah, K.. ty. For some reason I thought we sent Brisbois down already.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:18 pm Me too. Cheap labour, good teammate can play up and down the lineup. Never understood running him out of town on a rail. He’s effective and still had wheels and grit. But hey we gots Birdbones!

Dude is gonna be irate. He HATES Richardson
I liked Richie Rich as well, but I seem to recall JB was close to the cap with vets like Higgy, Burr, Hansen, etc and couldn't keep Richardson and Mathias. It would have been nice to keep those 2, but they got good contracts elsewhere.
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:22 pm Watching Demko you can see where he needs work.
Yeah, the first 2 goals were kind of questionable on Demko, but I don't fault him for the rest. We have been spoiled with Marky Mark's stellar play. It's too bad that kind of goaltending performance is looking like it's going to be all for nothing. Imagine if we could have snuck in and Marky could play like that every nite?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't blame Demko for the loss. He let in a couple bad goals but overall he was OK. I just commented you could see he still needs work. With this season all but gone the Canucks need to get him half the remaining games and have him working with Clark. It is imperative that we see and know what we have in him before Markstrom's contract is up. Demko needs work and a lot of it at the NHL level. He traditionally starts slow in every league he has advanced to. So this is the perfect opportunity to run with the kid as much as you can. Don't play the illusion game that we are still in a playoff hunt.

In fact would have been a perfect time to call up Dahlen.

As it is, get Hughes and Lockwood signed as soon as you can and get them in some games too. Im not advocating a "tank" , as I want them to keep winning. The kids have to fight through this and keeping pushing.

Oh ya, Ive seen enough of Ericksson too. Benning needs to sweep up again this off season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Eriksson isn’t something that can be swept up. You need some bolt cutters, a shovel and a bag of lime.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”