US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by rats19 »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm
rats19 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Per wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:07 pm Today's history lesson:
On February 27th, 1933, Adolf Hitler declared a state of emergency, thus shifting power from the German parliament to him personally.
As of January 2019, 58 national emergencies had been declared since the Act was enacted in 1976, with 31 of them being renewed annually.[1][3]

So take your bullshit elsewhere please
Don’t just stop there Rats, tell us what these emergencies while you’re at it ?
Per threw out his blank statement indicating when this type of political move is made ... you get hitler which I find embarrassing for him and it angered me uk

What the fuck does it matter? this will be the 59th time in 44 years it’s been utilized. Haven’t had a North American hitler yet. It just pisses me off !! Probably best to agree to disagree uk ... toothless white trash??? Where the fuck does that shit come from.. ???

So here is a partial list: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31 ... d=60294693
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Are these two things even comparable? Have to say I side with Rats on this one. And I'm no Donald Trump fan.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 pm Are these two things even comparable? Have to say I side with Rats on this one. And I'm no Donald Trump fan.
Probably not. The institutions of the USA are stronger than those of Weimar republic Germany, so they can not as easily be dismantled.

But this national emergency is also not comparable with the other 58 declared in the US since 1976, as those were declared to address national emergencies. This is about a president not being able to push his pet project through congress. There is no national emergency.

Using the legislation to circumvent congress in order to push through a partisan bill, is not what it was intended for and sets a dangerous precedent.

Now that the bar for what is a national emergency is set so low, you could declare gun violence, lack of universal healthcare, the climate, the opioid epidemic... pretty much anything... a national emergency. Which is why the Republican leaders have opposed this move by Trump. But hey - does he ever listen to anyone? :|

Personally, I'd like to declare the Canucks' blue line a national emergency. :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 pm
On February 27th, 1933, Adolf Hitler declared a state of emergency, thus shifting power from the German parliament to him personally.
As of January 2019, 58 national emergencies had been declared since the Act was enacted in 1976, with 31 of them being renewed annually.[1][3]

Per threw out his blank statement indicating when this type of political move is made ... you get hitler which I find embarrassing for him and it angered me uk

What the fuck does it matter? this will be the 59th time in 44 years it’s been utilized. Haven’t had a North American hitler yet. It just pisses me off !! Probably best to agree to disagree uk ... toothless white trash??? Where the fuck does that shit come from.. ???

So here is a partial list: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31 ... d=60294693
Rats if Clinton or Obama did this, what would say or think?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:19 pm

I’m not worried about declaring a national emergency for non emergencies if I were I’d be questioning why they have never released private bank Iranian citizens accounts all these years later.

I don’t even really care about a wall, I find it elegantly funny that trump supporters haven’t figured out that walls keep people in as well as that keep people out.

Which brings me to toothless white trash.

Trump is a cunt and liking him for his protectionist economic policies aside, supporting trump mindlessly makes one also a cunt.
I figure calling them toothless white trash is being polite.

But don’t worry I don’t think you’re a cunt Rats.

I figure you for a populist who has yet to be convinced that progressive social policy give people life liberty and the ability to pursue happiness, which what we all want.
Last edited by ukcanuck on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It wouldn’t bother me one bit. They have all on video stated that a wall is needed. Do some searching you will find each one of them said a wall was required for the safety of the citizens of the United States

I would have said it’s about time....
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Republicans should be very careful here. A future Democratic president could proclaim firearm violence and climate change as national emergencies.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm It wouldn’t bother me one bit. They have all on video stated that a wall is needed. Do some searching you will find each one of them said a wall was required for the safety of the citizens of the United States
Bullshit!

Trump has claimed that former presidents have said so to him in private, but all living ex president's firmly deny having said so or being in favour of a wall. Including the two Bushes (one of whom now is dead). No other president that I know of has ever talked about a wall, except Reagan, who asked Gorbachev to tear one down.

There isn't even much support for a wall within the GOP. https://www.pressherald.com/2019/02/01/ ... uild-wall/
Trump has had two years of a Republican Congress, and failed to get them to approve funds for a wall.
The wall is just a stupid gimmick, but Trump Thinks he needs it to get reelected.

As my friend from Berlin says: "Who the **** wants a wall?!"

A wall would be a very impracticle, expensive and devastating way of defending the border. Barbed wire and cameras/drones are better, if you even have to monitor it. Immigration from Mexico is iirc at a 50 year low.

Much of the border between the USA and Mexico consists of a river. A meandering river to boot. You can't build the wall in the middle of the river, cool as that might be. Or, I guess you could, but both Construction and maintenance would become exponentially more expensive. And as Mexico is a real country, you cannot go the Israel way of building the wall on the opposite side of the border, annexing land in the process. Instead you will have to build it on US soil, a reasonable distance from the water. This will prevent land owners, farmers and wildlife from accessing much needed water in an already hot and dry region.

A wall is simply a Very Bad Idea.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... wall-2006/

I’m done per ... rather agree to disagree than think less of each other.

Rat
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rats19 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 am https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... wall-2006/

I’m done per ... rather agree to disagree than think less of each other.

Rat
From your link:
Mulvaney said that Obama, Schumer and Clinton voted for a border wall in 2006.

They did vote for the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which authorized building a fence along about 700 miles of the border between the United States and Mexico.

Still, the fence they voted for is not as substantial as the wall Trump is proposing. Trump himself called the 2006 fence a "nothing wall."

Mulvaney’s statement is partially accurate, but ignores important context. We rate it Half True.
OK, they voted for a fence. Probably cheaper than a wall, and possibly less of a disturbance for wildlife, depending on what the fence looks like. And I assume the fence is in place? So why the need for a wall? :|

Oh, well. We'll see what happens. The house of representatives will force a vote on it, and if just 4 republican senators join them, they can stop the emergency. Trump, in turn, can veto this, and then congress needs a two thirds majority to block him. But the whole thing will simultanously be tried by the courts. It could drag on for quite some time.

We can just agree to disagree and bring out the popcorn. :thumbs:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm I find it elegantly funny that trump supporters haven’t figured out that walls keep people in as well as that keep people out.
Yes because so many Americans wish to illegally enter Mexico. :lol:

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm Trump is a cunt
"Trump is a cunt", "Trump is Hitler" blah blah blah...

That's you in the "NOOOOoooooooooo" video I keep posting.

Your side lost, stop whining lefties...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:42 am Republicans should be very careful here. A future Democratic president could proclaim firearm violence and climate change as national emergencies.
Bit of a difference between building a wall and depriving people of their weapons, don't ya think?

One sparks legal challenges, the other sparks bloody civil war, but by all means continue with the hyperbole...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The 2nd Amendment
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:47 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:42 am Republicans should be very careful here. A future Democratic president could proclaim firearm violence and climate change as national emergencies.
Bit of a difference between building a wall and depriving people of their weapons, don't ya think?

One sparks legal challenges, the other sparks bloody civil war, but by all means continue with the hyperbole...
Who's being hyperbolic?
Topper wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm The 2nd Amendment
Is not unlimited.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm I find it elegantly funny that trump supporters haven’t figured out that walls keep people in as well as that keep people out.
Yes because so many Americans wish to illegally enter Mexico. :lol:

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm Trump is a cunt
"Trump is a cunt", "Trump is Hitler" blah blah blah...

That's you in the "NOOOOoooooooooo" video I keep posting.

Your side lost, stop whining lefties...
Running for the border is a time honored tradition in American pop culture.
Cmon it’s high larious that libertarians are voting their liberty away with this cunt.