GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm
Its hard to jump on the tank bus when you have so many kids trying to make an impression.
That's a great sentence. Hell, I still think of Bo as a kid.
Marky has been like a BIG kid lately. Been a lot of enthusiasm for the most part.
Go for the wins. It's good for everyone.
I don't think the fact the draft takes place in Vancouver should alter the way the team handles itself at all.
Although I do think Bettman will be more uncomfortable here than anywhere he's strutted his persona previously..
"evolution"
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm Im fine with criticizing managerial decisions leading up to having to play DiPietro. What I rally against is the silly notion that forcing Dipietro into action was somehow a plan. Benning"s gamble was trading Nilsson before he had a goalie in return or trading for a goalie that needed to clear waivers.

Demko and Markstrom went down really close together, chronologically. That cant be predicted but the precarious situation in net was not unknown. Benning was waiting for Philly. If Philly put McKenna on waivers last week all would be well in the world. Benning refused to give Philly a pick. That simple.

So he picks up a 6th but loses a 7th. It was still the right call in trading Nilsson and in promoting Demko. If he had traded a pick 1,2,3 weeks ago for a back up he would have been criticized.

In any event, its this silly notion that it was a plan.
I never said they planned it. I said they failed to plan to avoid it. They picked up a goaltender for a 2020 7th round pick hours after the disaster occurred. To state " there were no other options" is absurd. I would not have criticized sending a 2020 7th rounder 2 weeks ago. I'd call it prudent.

I agree with the Demko strategy. I've never stated otherwise.

The only thing I am guilty of is being annoyed with setting up Mikey to fail due to lack of action by management. That's all. I never criticized Mikey's play. I stated that he lacked experience.

I envision a couple posters in this thread fighting mad because I criticized the organization. To these folks i say, chill out
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Demko and Markstrom went down really close together, chronologically. That cant be predicted but the precarious situation in net was not unknown. Benning was waiting for Philly. If Philly put McKenna on waivers last week all would be well in the world. Benning refused to give Philly a pick. That simple.

So he picks up a 6th but loses a 7th. It was still the right call in trading Nilsson and in promoting Demko. If he had traded a pick 1,2,3 weeks ago for a back up he would have been criticized.

In any event, its this silly notion that it was a plan.
I think people are critical of the lack of a plan or the lack of adjustment/contingency once his original plan (McKenna) got jammed up. Is this another case of Benning being too fixated on a specific player, rather than an organizational need?

Clearly they didn’t plan to call DiPietro out of junior. But they should have swung something to make it a quick (24-48hour?) stay. Where was Ryan Johnson in all this? I can’t imagine there wasn’t an AHL player for an AHL goalie deal to be had.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So due to an unforeseen set of circumstances, a rookie from Jr gets put in net against a good team.

Boo-fucking-Hoo.

The kid got a jump start on his NHL career. He got to hang with the team and see what's expected of a pro. He got an early look at NHL shooters. He's seen the NHL lifestyle. He got some time with Ian Clark. Oh - and he let in a bunch of goals thanks to the porous D getting overpowered.

Some are acting like DiPietro was murdered live on national TV. I would think with the number of character players that Benning's assembled, the kid was handled pretty well after the game and unless he's a complete nutjob, he will grow from this and become a better player.

I would have rather seen this scenario than watching Bachman.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If it wasn't for the fact Mikey was only 19, he would most likely have been in Utica this year anyway. He's fine.
Here's the article on how it was done and the CBA rule that allows for it. It's from Feb. 5.

I just want to know if the kid made a little scratch.? Hope so.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am So due to an unforeseen set of circumstances, a rookie from Jr gets put in net against a good team.

Boo-fucking-Hoo.

The kid got a jump start on his NHL career. He got to hang with the team and see what's expected of a pro. He got an early look at NHL shooters. He's seen the NHL lifestyle. He got some time with Ian Clark. Oh - and he let in a bunch of goals thanks to the porous D getting overpowered.

Some are acting like DiPietro was murdered live on national TV. I would think with the number of character players that Benning's assembled, the kid was handled pretty well after the game and unless he's a complete nutjob, he will grow from this and become a better player.

exactly
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am the kid was handled pretty well after the game and unless he's a complete nutjob
He's a goalie, of course he's a complete nutjob.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am
Cornuck wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am the kid was handled pretty well after the game and unless he's a complete nutjob
He's a goalie, of course he's a complete nutjob.
+

:lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am So due to an unforeseen set of circumstances, a rookie from Jr gets put in net against a good team.

Boo-fucking-Hoo.

He essentially got what Demko had to earn and ask for 3 years after he was drafted.....to play an NHL game before he was NHL ready to see where he needs to focus to improve.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

"A nineteen year old goalie had to play a game against the San Jose Sharks"

____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, seriously don’t get the angst. We’ve lost 11 out of the last 12 against the Sharks, but poor Mikey, his career is ruined.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Its hard to jump on the tank bus when you have so many kids trying to make an impression.

Again I ask a poster on this board what is the “tank bus” or “tank train”?

The team just isn’t very good. I haven’t read any posts for people hoping for losses. M
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”