GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

Post by Carlyee »

micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am
Carter Hart is only 5 months older!!! Dipietru had almost no lead time. This ugly loss is not on him, it's on the piss poor performance
of the team. Sure he was nervous. Who wouldn't be! It's not fair to say, "the kids not ready", not fair at all.
He's played in important games before. Not in the NHL bur it still counts for something.
And NO, he's not too small at 6 foot 200 pounds.
FFS, don't judge the guy on this game. A game he had virtually no time to prepare for.
This embarrassment of a loss is on the skaters. Why should we throw him under the bus when his own team has already
done a bang-up job of just that. :evil:
I hope he gets another start.
I appreciate where your heart is at. And to be honest I thought he played pretty well all things considered. All I was trying to say is I believe he was set up to fail. On the first couple goals he looked "a step behind". Which is to be expected as he has not faced the level of skill in the NHL that he is used to in the OHL. Once again I would like to point out that I don't hang this on Mikey. It's the lack of foresight by the organization that makes me scratch my head. I'm an ok kickboxer/boxer, but I live in a small town and our club is small so I spar with teenagers and housewives. Some teenagers are very good technically speaking but they can't hang! My 40% is their 100% but many times that ratio improves the more we train together. I've wrestled and ranked up in Judo but now I am doing more BJJ. When I roll against a couple cops here, I can't hang. Their 40% is my 100%. But each time we roll I get better. You see what I am saying? If those cops went 100% they would break me. Until he gets more experience Mikey's 100% is likely not enough. It may be someday, just probably not now. I guess I can agree it's not fair because we have such a small sample size. But this is why opinions are like assholes.

I agree the team let him down. The thing is we know our D ummm "needs work".
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 am I think its time to explore ways to offload Eriksson. I was watching him a bit closer last night and he is consistently bailing on plays, curling away from contact, etc.
Give the new kid zack his spot and bury him in utica until he can be shipped out or bought out. At least Gaudette and zack show some heart
Oh yeah, lost in all this is #71. I thought he played ok. Limited his mistakes at the very least.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carlyee wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am
Carter Hart is only 5 months older!!! Dipietru had almost no lead time. This ugly loss is not on him, it's on the piss poor performance
of the team. Sure he was nervous. Who wouldn't be! It's not fair to say, "the kids not ready", not fair at all.
He's played in important games before. Not in the NHL bur it still counts for something.
And NO, he's not too small at 6 foot 200 pounds.
FFS, don't judge the guy on this game. A game he had virtually no time to prepare for.
This embarrassment of a loss is on the skaters. Why should we throw him under the bus when his own team has already
done a bang-up job of just that. :evil:
I hope he gets another start.
I appreciate where your heart is at. And to be honest I thought he played pretty well all things considered. All I was trying to say is I believe he was set up to fail. On the first couple goals he looked "a step behind". Which is to be expected as he has not faced the level of skill in the NHL that he is used to in the OHL. Once again I would like to point out that I don't hang this on Mikey. It's the lack of foresight by the organization that makes me scratch my head. I'm an ok kickboxer/boxer, but I live in a small town and our club is small so I spar with teenagers and housewives. Some teenagers are very good technically speaking but they can't hang! My 40% is their 100% but many times that ratio improves the more we train together. I've wrestled and ranked up in Judo but now I am doing more BJJ. When I roll against a couple cops here, I can't hang. Their 40% is my 100%. But each time we roll I get better. You see what I am saying? If those cops went 100% they would break me. Until he gets more experience Mikey's 100% is likely not enough. It may be someday, just probably not now. I guess I can agree it's not fair because we have such a small sample size. But this is why opinions are like assholes.

I agree the team let him down. The thing is we know our D ummm "needs work".
I don’t see how you think this was a lack of foresight on the part of Benning & Co.

Demko was ready to come up.

Nilsson was not doing much for us and standing in his way.

Trade was made and then a subsequent move was made to get a goalie for Utica who could spot in as a backup with the big club if injuries necessitated it. Philly screwed that up for us.

Bachman being done for the season doesn’t help, and you can’t build your NHL and AHL teams around the premise that you are going to lose a goalie for the whole season, especially the AHL backup.

There was no other option last night, and all the planning in the world isn’t going to make a difference when your regular backup is out and your starter comes in the morning if a game with lower body issues.

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill trying to assign blame where there’s none to be assigned. If Benning burns an asset to get a goalie who will do nothing but play in Utica, he would be villified.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 am MacKewen got his first assist and Kudos to the camera man who got the shots of his people in the stands.
Was that blonde with the beer his sis or his squeeze ? WOW!!!
I'll never grow up. I gotta find a pic of that and post it.

FFS Mick, she's young enough to be your granddaughter! :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

She looked hammered lol. Mick likes em staggeringly beautiful
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Yup ready, willing and able! When my son and I are driving around, I find the good ones quicker to this day.
And I'm the driver...I said, never grow up..
Better not add pictorials.
Great find, Doc! 8-)
http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/ ... ck-macewen
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm I’ve seen enough. DiPietro gonna need therapy after this one.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Didn't have time to practice properly.

"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am
There was no other option last night, and all the planning in the world isn’t going to make a difference when your regular backup is out and your starter comes in the morning if a game with lower body issues.

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill trying to assign blame where there’s none to be assigned. If Benning burns an asset to get a goalie who will do nothing but play in Utica, he would be villified.
I think what most are questioning was why we needed to have a junior goalie on emergency recall for a week, especially considering (according to Sportsnet) they have been looking to acquire a goalie for over a month.

The trade they made today should have been made a week ago. It’s not like it would have cost more, as we couldn’t be more desperate, so it tells me the Canucks thought they could ride it out leaning exclusively on Markstrom.

So yeah, I’m sure DiPietro will be fine, but it’s not a sterling example of developing prospects slowly/the right way/ not playing guys til they’re ready etc. Remember, this is a management group that has shown itself willing to toss around late-round picks fairly easily. It’s crazy to think we’d throw one of our better prospects into the breach, without a healthy backup, over a 2020 7th rounder.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 pm

I think what most are questioning was why we needed to have a junior goalie on emergency recall for a week, especially considering (according to Sportsnet) they have been looking to acquire a goalie for over a month.

The trade they made today should have been made a week ago. It’s not like it would have cost more, as we couldn’t be more desperate, so it tells me the Canucks thought they could ride it out leaning exclusively on Markstrom.

So yeah, I’m sure DiPietro will be fine, but it’s not a sterling example of developing prospects slowly/the right way/ not playing guys til they’re ready etc. Remember, this is a management group that has shown itself willing to toss around late-round picks fairly easily. It’s crazy to think we’d throw one of our better prospects into the breach, without a healthy backup, over a 2020 7th rounder.
I have to suspect some big time confusion between trainers, team doctors, players and their status. I'm thinking whatever happened to Marky
is a wee bit worse than what's being said. Sounds like Demko is out for quite a while.
With Bachman done for the year in the minors, at least one goalie with NHL experience should have been acquired AT THAT POINT.
To be honest, they had the time to look. Even in Europe, if need be.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am Heres a question...Kane attacked stetcher but nobody does fuck all again and we were down by 5 for fucks sake.

Why doesnt anything ever get done like wilson the other day? Drives me nuts
because its the lil trojan
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

I don’t see how you think this was a lack of foresight on the part of Benning & Co.

D

mmmkay

https://www.tsn.ca/five-takeaways-canuc ... -1.1256318
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Meh. Difference of opinions.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets ... tro-start/

DiPietro wasn't the only one put in a no-win situation. The Canucks are now 1 win and 11 losses against SJS in the last 12 games.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Im fine with criticizing managerial decisions leading up to having to play DiPietro. What I rally against is the silly notion that forcing Dipietro into action was somehow a plan. Benning"s gamble was trading Nilsson before he had a goalie in return or trading for a goalie that needed to clear waivers.

Demko and Markstrom went down really close together, chronologically. That cant be predicted but the precarious situation in net was not unknown. Benning was waiting for Philly. If Philly put McKenna on waivers last week all would be well in the world. Benning refused to give Philly a pick. That simple.

So he picks up a 6th but loses a 7th. It was still the right call in trading Nilsson and in promoting Demko. If he had traded a pick 1,2,3 weeks ago for a back up he would have been criticized.

In any event, its this silly notion that it was a plan.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It was only a few short years ago that an unexpected showing in a SoCal road trip ended our dreams for Austin Matthews. Will this trip end our playoff dreams? Perhaps delivering a much needed better first round pick? Do the hockey gads keep score? Are they that devious? Stay tuned.

Its hard to jump on the tank bus when you have so many kids trying to make an impression.

Oh, someone else gets to do the GDT.
The only HW the Canucks need