GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Sharks @ Canucks Feb 11/19 7:00 pm SN

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Carlyee wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 pm
Carlyee wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 pm The guy was playing against kids a few weeks ago. I really cannot fathom why the organization thought this was a good idea.
Oh bullshit. That's total 20-20 hindsight. Media (and mostbthe posters here) was calling the Nilsson trade a good thing.

It's bad luck Mckenna was claimed on waivers and Demko got hurt in warmup.

It's not worth an asset foe a backup tender until we knew where the kid was, and saw him play.

If Mikey had shut the sharks out 'carter hart' style, everyone would be crowing from the rafters.
Starting a guy that was playing against children less than a month ago is hindsight?
Nope.

It's when you start bitching about it (the lack of having 5 NHL goalies under contract) after we are down 3-0 is.

I get your pissed off. But if our defence showed up to play and Mikey had only let in a goal or 2, it would be a different tune we would be hearing.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hank wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 pm I think it's more Hockey Gods than Mickey Mouse.

Who was thinking Demko was going to have all these injury issues? Who was planning on Philly poaching our AHL goalie? Who was planning on Bachman being out the rest of the season?

We were pretty happy to finally be rid of Nilsson. Shit happens and more shit happens to the Canucks.

LOL. Hertl gets behind both Hutton and Stecher after the puck enters the zone and leaves Bo to play D. Fucking joke.
That’s the problem, not a 19 year old kid.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm
Carlyee wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 pm The guy was playing against kids a few weeks ago. I really cannot fathom why the organization thought this was a good idea.
Oh bullshit. That's total 20-20 hindsight. Media (and mostbthe posters here) was calling the Nilsson trade a good thing.

It's not worth an asset foe a backup tender until we knew where the kid was, and saw him play.

If Mikey had shut the sharks out 'carter hart' style, everyone would be crowing from the rafters.
Starting a guy that was playing against children less than a month ago is hindsight?
Nope.

It's when you start bitching about it (the lack of having 5 NHL goalies under contract) after we are down 3-0 is.

I get your pissed off. But if our defence showed up to play and Mikey had only let in a goal or 2, it would be a different tune we would be hearing.
I'm not angry. I'm embarassed for the organization. I actually feel really bad for Mikey. He was set up to fail and it shows a lack of, well something, that he is playing. Some of our defense has sucked all year. So you are saying you held out hope they would improve tonight? I wanted one NHL back up not 5. Not sure where you got that from. And excuse me for questioning the wisdom of starting someone that has never played against adults.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Nope.

"if our defence [sic] showed up to play" isn't really apt evidence that hindsight is the issue here - unless one thought this garbage fire would somehow be markedly improved from last year.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Carlyee wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Nope.

I'm not angry. I'm embarassed for the organization. I actually feel really bad for Mikey. He was set up to fail and it shows a lack of, well something, that he is playing. Some of our defense has sucked all year. So you are saying you held out hope they would improve tonight? I wanted one NHL back up not 5. Not sure where you got that from. And excuse me for questioning the wisdom of starting someone that has never played against adults.
I am embarrassed for Mikey. Never said I would hope the defence would improve tonight, just that they were worse than they are usually.

As to 5 goalies:
Markstrom - hurt
Nilsson - traded
Bachman - hurt
Demko - hurt
McKenna - lost to waivers
Dipetro - playing tonight.

.... I guess we needed 6 or 7 under contract... of course had we done that, people would be bitching about poor contract management.

Take this game for what it is. A bad game by the team defensively on a 19 year old rookie tenders first game.
Injuries always come and haunt this team. It is what it is. 'Wisdom' had nothing to do with it. Circumstances have everything.
Last edited by Madcombinepilot on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

That's what I was alluding, Reef.

Also, SJS is 10-1 vs Canucks in the last 11 games. I'm sure the big picture was to save Markstrom for a run. The odds for this game was not good regardless.

If sacrificing DiPietro for a game is needed, so be it. The kid will understand. He'll gladly take this blowout to get some NHL experience.

What do you guys expect management to do? Play the emergency goalie from UBC?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This debacle is on our porous D, not the kid between the pipes.
Even a healthy Markstrom would not have been able to salvage this one.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I want to see a fight.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:50 pm This debacle is on our porous D, not the kid between the pipes.
Even a healthy Markstrom would not have been able to salvage this one.
Neither could Patrick Roy. For the record I'm not criticizing Mikey. I don't doubt he's going to be fine some day. I just don't appreciate him getting thrown to the jackals.
Last edited by Carlyee on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 pm I want to see a fight.
Rather see a couple goals
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 pm I want to see a fight.
Rather see a couple goals
Both then.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Our team defence is atrocious, the forwards can be added to the blame game as well, not to mention their lack of sustained play in the offensive zone
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Up by 5, 10 min left... starting the 1st PP.. stay classy Sharks!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It’s a stinker for sure .. we seem to have one of these every 15 games or do
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Point for Big Mac! ( Butt there is Poo on it)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."