The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Post by dangler »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am The Canucks desperately need more help in the top 6 half of the forward group - top 2 lines. There really is only 3 legit top 6 players, leaving Bo all by himself and he’s no McDavid one man show. Benning either tries to fix this in July - Mark Stone etc, or Bo simply has to be patient find that help in the draft and keep you fingers crossed on Lind, Dahlen, MacEwan, Madden (move him to the wing). Lockwood looks to be a solid bottom 6 energy forward maybe a top 6 but right now Bo will have to ride it out unless Jimbro makes a trade or dabbles in crazy money season again. Virtanen? Not sure right now but his puck possession skills or lack there of do not make him top 2 line worthy
If Leivo can find a little more consistency ( he's close) that would put the count at 4,
Goldobin??? who knows how much patience Jimbro & Greene have for him.
Jake could come back ready for top 6 if he puts the work in this summer
Any way you slice it the Canucks still need some top 6 wingers, but it's at least a year too soon to be signing a big time UFA.
The D is no where near where it needs to be to contend yet and as promising as Hughes is he'll need at least a season or two to adapt.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I kinda agree with dangler. I would throw the kitchen sink at Karlsson but maybe sign a cheap depth d man and a cheap winger with some bite of that doesn’t work out.

Let’s the kids play and see if a trade can be worked out.

I keep doubling back to Ferland but those concussions scare the hell out of me.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

With what is happening to Baertschi and the style of game Ferland needs to play I see a massive red flag tying him to a big contract. Plus the Canucks need high end skill in the top 6 not a Ferland

Karlsson is going to sign for nothing less than $10 million not so sure about that and he’s creeping up there in age
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Leivo is our Ferland
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dangler wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 am Leivo is our Ferland
:thumbs:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:56 am A top 6 winger is the highest of priority imho
I disagree!

Hughes joulevi and woo may or may not be impact players for years yet. The fire drills in our end are reaching biblical proportions.

My money would be on an impact top pairing dman or very good 2nd pairing guy. Nurse the kids along with less pressure
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fabbro apparently is making the jump at seasons end do you toss Nashville our 2019 1st for him, if it’s not a lottery pick? Right shot D man? More ready to make the jump now instead of waiting 3 years for the 2019 1st pick to develop?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:56 am A top 6 winger is the highest of priority imho
I disagree!

Hughes joulevi and woo may or may not be impact players for years yet. The fire drills in our end are reaching biblical proportions.

My money would be on an impact top pairing dman or very good 2nd pairing guy. Nurse the kids along with less pressure
Our 2nd line is putrid. Nothing of great significance in the pipeline. I strongly disagree with your disagreement

Take a flyer on Mark Stone.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

We pretty much still need help everywhere and we need them to come in and make some kind of impact right away.

The worse part right now is that neither Bearcheese nor Goldobin is any kind of asset that can be moved for anything at all.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am I kinda agree with dangler. I would throw the kitchen sink at Karlsson but maybe sign a cheap depth d man and a cheap winger with some bite of that doesn’t work out.

Agreed. On all points.

I like this thread :mrgreen:
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I disagree with everyone...always! The Canucks should finish building a dominating PP1.

The Canucks biggest need is a net front presence on PP1. Horvat is doing and admirable job. But the Canucks need a Hornqvist or Simmons type to make their PP truly dominating. My ideal guy, Gadjovich, can’t skate. Tryamkin might not return and probably doesn’t have the hands, MacEwan likely doesn’t either, though he has the disposition. Dahlen, Palmu, or Madden might be okay in the high slot, but a net front presence is missing. If he can play LW all the better.

Umbrella formation is still missing a handle and should be the priority:

Hughes
Pettersson Boeser
Unknown
Unknown

With those three at the top of the formation the Canucks have the potential for a terrifying PP, but it needs to be filled in.
With Woo, Hughes and Juolevi joining the Canucks soon, the D will be fine.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm
You agreed with ole Chef Boi RD with your closing argument of your post.

But yeah YouDeeElle is out to lunch bigly time thinking our D pipeline is in bigger need of help than our top 2 lines on the wings.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 am I kinda agree with dangler. I would throw the kitchen sink at Karlsson but maybe sign a cheap depth d man and a cheap winger with some bite of that doesn’t work out.

Agreed. On all points.

I like this thread :mrgreen:
We currently have approx. $29M in cap space. Seems like a lot, but Boeser/Edler/Hutton/Demko will easily account for half.

Part of the cap bind the leaves are in now is because they went "all-in" on Tavares. That gamble may work out for them, but they're going to be sacrificing depth for top-end talent. I'm not opposed to Karlsson as a player, but I prefer we save that cap space for our own guys. We should try to avoid more than one $10M+ deal, and that's going to be Petey pretty quick.

Re-up Edler at similar money, maybe take a stab at a depth defensive LHD like Benn.

We could use some more size on the wings. If we want to drop some money in free agency, someone like Mark Stone ($$$$), Wayne Simmonds ($$$), Anders Lee ($$), or Alex Chiasson ($) would fit the bill.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm I disagree with everyone...always! The Canucks should finish building a dominating PP1.

The Canucks biggest need is a net front presence on PP1. the Canucks need a Hornqvist or Simmons type to make their PP truly dominating.
Leivo is our Hornqvist or Simmons type

Hughes SHOULD be joining the Canucks soon, but has yet to prove himself NHL ready,the other 2 are probably at least a year away from a full time roster spot
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm
You agreed with ole Chef Boi RD with your closing argument of your post.

But yeah YouDeeElle is out to lunch bigly time thinking our D pipeline is in bigger need of help than our top 2 lines on the wings.
I see the top line hole sure but your plan is predicated on Hughes walking into a top pairing, 1st unit PP role.

He could absolutely but thats a huge leap for a kid on defense.
If you need air...call it in