The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The "ALL HOCKEY / NO BS" hockey talk thread

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:14 am Bo Horvat... one of the best 2nd line centres in the NHL.
Agreed.
Yes, and a solid option at #1 depending on line mates.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:48 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:14 am Bo Horvat... one of the best 2nd line centres in the NHL.
Agreed.
Yes, and a solid option at #1 depending on line mates.
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm Morning skate #Canucks lines:

Roussel-Horvat-Goldobin
Yep.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A true GM would trade Bo at his highest.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must- ... rs~1607885

The party life doomed the Coilers. One could almost feel bad for them.

Almost.
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

SKYO wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 am A true GM would trade Bo at his highest.
Would you, in a fantasy type world, trade Bo for the first overall pick being Jack Hughes? I like everything bo does for the team. But at the end of the day he's a high motor guy with limited upside skill wise. Trading him could be dangerous from a team moral standpoint.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

No do not trade Bo. He’s not a player that can drive a line alone like a Pettersson. He needs some wingers. Bring up Zack MacEwan

Draft a winger with the 2019 first or a D-man
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

No. I wouldn’t trade Bo unless more was coming back. He might not have the pedigree of a guy like Hughes but he:

1) is proven as a top 6 forward in the NHL (at worst right now he is a 2a kinda guy;
2) he has great character;
3) he is a leader;
4) he has crazy work ethic (driven to improve every season);
5) is still quite young; and
6) continues trending upward.

As a “bird in hand”, I think those combined attributes are worth more than the potential of a #1 pick. I’d want to see a little more coming back but probably not a lot. Perhaps this is just my overvaluing a player I have come to really like?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Skyo would trade Horvat and then he would complain that Sutter is the 2nd line centre and that they have no centre depth.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Canucks desperately need more help in the top 6 half of the forward group - top 2 lines. There really is only 3 legit top 6 players, leaving Bo all by himself and he’s no McDavid one man show. Benning either tries to fix this in July - Mark Stone etc, or Bo simply has to be patient find that help in the draft and keep you fingers crossed on Lind, Dahlen, MacEwan, Madden (move him to the wing). Lockwood looks to be a solid bottom 6 energy forward maybe a top 6 but right now Bo will have to ride it out unless Jimbro makes a trade or dabbles in crazy money season again. Virtanen? Not sure right now but his puck possession skills or lack there of do not make him top 2 line worthy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am Skyo would trade Horvat and then he would complain that Sutter is the 2nd line centre and that they have no centre depth.
Wasnt the trade for the 1st OA pick? Jacks a center
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

They are slow cooking Jake. Trying to get him to do more in the offensive zone by putting him with a guy like Sutter. At the end of the day while Jake may or may not develop into a 25 goal 2nd line winger he is going to be a more well rounded player who sees the ice a bit better and is a lot better defensively than when he first was gifted an NHL job.

They really need to give MacEwan a look. And play him 12 or 13 minutes. Don’t staple him to the fourth line or the bench if he makes a mistake.

Jonathan Dahlen could still end up as a top six guy playing with Petey. He hasn’t had the best season in the AHL so far but his numbers are ok. Guys like Lind, Gadjovich and Madden are years away.

I’m not sure if I go balls out after Stone. I like him a lot but maybe a D man is more important. Either way I don’t think you can go nuts on two top end guys for 8-10 million per. While they may be able to afford it next season it will put them in cap hell in a couple years.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am Skyo would trade Horvat and then he would complain that Sutter is the 2nd line centre and that they have no centre depth.
Wasnt the trade for the 1st OA pick? Jacks a center
Who knows? He just keeps droning on about Horvat being a 3rd line centre and that they should deal him.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Agreed.
Agreed
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 am They are slow cooking Jake. Trying to get him to do more in the offensive zone by putting him with a guy like Sutter. At the end of the day while Jake may or may not develop into a 25 goal 2nd line winger he is going to be a more well rounded player who sees the ice a bit better and is a lot better defensively than when he first was gifted an NHL job.

They really need to give MacEwan a look. And play him 12 or 13 minutes. Don’t staple him to the fourth line or the bench if he makes a mistake.

Jonathan Dahlen could still end up as a top six guy playing with Petey. He hasn’t had the best season in the AHL so far but his numbers are ok. Guys like Lind, Gadjovich and Madden are years away.

I’m not sure if I go balls out after Stone. I like him a lot but maybe a D man is more important. Either way I don’t think you can go nuts on two top end guys for 8-10 million per. While they may be able to afford it next season it will put them in cap hell in a couple years.
Good post :thumbs:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I worry about Mark Stones longevity as well, he’s not the most fleet of foot and that will start to become more glaring the older he gets and the faster the game gets.

Unless Jim makes a trade, patience is required I suppose, we just need one more quality top 6 forward (a winger). With Woo, Hughes and Juolevi in the way, keeping Tanev and Edler around, Hutton and Stecher looking better. A top 6 winger is the highest of priority imho

Jake will eventually be a good complimentary player in the top 6 but they need one more top shelf skilled winger in the top 6. Don’t think we can expect that from Goldobin and Baertschi